GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the other day I'm pulling out of my garage in the morning just about to head to work and the center console alerts me to open the winow then close it again. So I did as requested and alert went away.

I didn't rip a fart. I took a shower just before leaving the house, so I dont think I smelled of BO. And I definitely brushed my teeth before getting in the car. I breezed through the manual and couldn't find anything and did a search on the forum and came up empty also.

Any ideas why it asked me to do this?

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Ok, the other day I'm pulling out of my garage in the morning just about to head to work and the center console alerts me to open the winow then close it again. So I did as requested and alert went away.

I didn't rip a fart. I took a shower just before leaving the house, so I dont think I smelled of BO. And I definitely brushed my teeth before getting in the car. I breezed through the manual and couldn't find anything and did a search on the forum and came up empty also.

Any ideas why it asked me to do this?
Have you had any 12V battery problems of late? Or used some sort of device on the DLC to read PIDs or clear DTCs? Have any other work performed of late?

This message usually only appears when the body control module (BCM) is reset somehow. It basically is the result of losing the soft-stop settings for the express down-up window. By operating the window all the way down and back up again, these stops are relearned.

If it happens again without you really doing anything, you may wish to see your dealer.

WOT

·
Registered
194 Posts
Have you had any 12V battery problems of late? Or used some sort of device on the DLC to read PIDs or clear DTCs? Have any other work performed of late?

This message usually only appears when the body control module (BCM) is reset somehow. It basically is the result of losing the soft-stop settings for the express down-up window. By operating the window all the way down and back up again, these stops are relearned.

If it happens again without you really doing anything, you may wish to see your dealer.

WOT
I have had this happen twice to me. I have also had the alarm go off when I opened the passenger door even though the door unlocked on its own. This has also happened twice. I suspect the BCM has some code issues. Hopefully with the Mar 2016 update, some of these can be addressed.

-Ed

·
Registered
707 Posts
What is that old saying? He who denied it supplied it? :)

·
Registered
13,845 Posts
What is that old saying? He who denied it supplied it? :)
Whoever smelt it, dealt it

Time for Jeff Foxworthy's bit on courtesy sniffs.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

WOT
No problems with 12V. No codes cleared or read. No mods or work done that required me to disconnect the battery.

The only thing different or unusal was my son connected his Android phone to the usb charger up front the evening before this happened. So nothing really unusal to report before it happened. Thanks for info. I'll keep tabs on it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Geohec brings up a good topic for research. So just now I went out and ripped a fart in my 2016 while driving, and it still didn't issue an alert to open the window. Mind you, this was not a two-bit slacker fart, but more like a proper dutch oven bed fart, one that would trigger any reasonable fart-detection threshold. Alas, so much for that new car smell I've been relishing ....

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Geohec brings up a good topic for research. So just now I went out and ripped a fart in my 2016 while driving, and it still didn't issue an alert to open the window. Mind you, this was not a two-bit slacker fart, but more like a proper dutch oven bed fart, one that would trigger any reasonable fart-detection threshold. Alas, so much for that new car smell I've been relishing ....
Love it. A man of science in search of the truth.:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Your description of trying to replicate the alarm was a gas. Good thing you didn't live up to your moniker at the moment of your dutch oven bed discharge or you might have blown yourself to smithereens along with your new Volt, which could have electrocuted anyone standing nearby. 😎

·
Registered
13,845 Posts
Once again WOT is a plethora of great info while the rest of us are bumbling around talking about human bodily discharge.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts

Press the blue OnStar button and kindly ask the Volt advisor if there are any latched DTCs relating to 'fart-detection'.
Your sensor could just be on the fritz!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Your description of trying to replicate the alarm was a gas. Good thing you didn't live up to your moniker at the moment of your dutch oven bed discharge or you might have blown yourself to smithereens along with your new Volt, which could have electrocuted anyone standing nearby. 😎
Good point -- and the anti-Volt media would have made a real stink about it. It's been a long time since the last Volt fire.

·
Registered
13,845 Posts
Yeah, I agree, WOT needs to get with the program! We are trying to do Elemental proud....
Except elemental doesn't talk about farts. To him it's all about his utmost respect for women

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yes, he does set a unique standard there. It is humbling. In fact, it is surprising that he has not been tapped by the Clinton campaign.
Oh crap, when I typed the words "clinton campaign" in the above post it turned into a link to a pro-Clinton site selling buttons and campaign items. So I feel I must clarify, I am NOT a Clinton supporter!!!!! Sorry about the inadvertent link.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts