GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems there are only a few reviews of the 2016 Malibu Hybrid when it comes to real MPG. From those that
I have seen it appears that low 40's mpg is the real world figure for the Malibu Hybrid.

I wonder in a head to head review which would get better mpg, Malibu Hybrid or the Volt, on the gas engine of course for the Volt. I pretty much think the Volt would win.

Has anyone had a chance to contact a 2016 Malibu Hybrid owner to see what they are getting for real world MPG's?

Currently according to voltstats.com our 2016 Volt with now over 5,000 miles is a little over 43 mpg cs mode. However according to our dash readout for trips mid 40's + seem to be the real world mpg. Voltstats.com appears to record electric miles when some of those miles were actually generated by the gas engine....

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Fuelly members have only 2 of the 2016 malibu hybrids, average of 41 mpg (too small sample). My guess is the Volt will do similar. Main reason I see to buy the Malibu is larger car, but Volt will benefit from electric for the first 50 miles. Glad to see the choices, but I know I would prefer a plug-in the size of the Malibu :)

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems like of all the hybrids out there very little is mentioned about the 2016 Malibu Hybrid. Very few real world driving reviews that actually tell you what the mpg was during their testing. The most unprofessional reviews are the ones that never tell you or display to you what type of mpg's they received. Any car review without that figure, especially for a hybrid, is an obvious fail and an unprofessional review as prospective customers purchase Hybrids for the main reason of mpg's.....

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The EPA rates the Volt at 42 MPG combined. The consituent parts to that are 43 City and 42 Highway. So if VoltStats is reporting Volts getting in the low 40s in CS Mode the EPA number is accurate. The Malibu is rated at 49 MPG City and 43 MPG Highway. Hence my guess is that in the real world it's going to be very close, with the Malibu having an edge. Likely depends on how the car is driven more than anything.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Is the Malibu using a Gen 1 Voltec drive train? The Gen2 Volt has a new 1.5L engine, the Malibu Hybrid has a 1.8L engine. That could explain the difference. The Malibu is a bigger car but it's curb weight is a 100lbs less than the Volt, probably die to it's much smaller battery pack, so it's not weight that makes the difference.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Is the Malibu using a Gen 1 Voltec drive train? The Gen2 Volt has a new 1.5L engine, the Malibu Hybrid has a 1.8L engine. That could explain the difference. The Malibu is a bigger car but it's curb weight is a 100lbs less than the Volt, probably die to it's much smaller battery pack, so it's not weight that makes the difference.
It's a modified 5ET50 (gen 2) which allows more power/efficiency from the engine as it does more work with a smaller battery vs a volt.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 2016 Malibu Hybrid is a rare bird indeed. Probably the least likely hybrid you will ever see on the roadway...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Interesting. I'm actually looking at the malibu Hybrid to replace our Volvo as we need a bigger car for family trips. Sonata PHEV was also in consideration. Personally, I like the Voltec transmissions seamless transitions. Plus GM's infotainment is solid right now.

Any other reports would be appreciated.

·
Registered
433 Posts
aaaaaaand the Malibu Hybrid has an available sunroof. Is it too much to ask for the Volt/Bolt to have an available sunroof? I guess so...*sigh*

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
aaaaaaand the Malibu Hybrid has an available sunroof. Is it too much to ask for the Volt/Bolt to have an available sunroof? I guess so...*sigh*
For that matter the Cruze has an available sunroof. How about an 8 way power seat in the Premium trim level? A manual six way seat is out of place in a $39K car.

·
1,308 Posts
The EPA rates the Volt at 42 MPG combined. The consituent parts to that are 43 City and 42 Highway. So if VoltStats is reporting Volts getting in the low 40s in CS Mode the EPA number is accurate. The Malibu is rated at 49 MPG City and 43 MPG Highway. Hence my guess is that in the real world it's going to be very close, with the Malibu having an edge. Likely depends on how the car is driven more than anything.
The Malibu hybrid was never 49 city and 43 highway. GM gave it a preliminary estimate of 48 city, 45 highway but the final number settled in at 47 city, 46 highway. The combined is 42 mpg for Volt and 46 mpg for Malibu hybrid.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
2016 Malibu hybrids can be had new and untitled for as little as $22k, not a bad price at all.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like a great buy at $22,000. Better mpg's than a Honda Civic and a lot better looking.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
The Malibu hybrid was never 49 city and 43 highway. GM gave it a preliminary estimate of 48 city, 45 highway but the final number settled in at 47 city, 46 highway. The combined is 42 mpg for Volt and 46 mpg for Malibu hybrid.
The 2017 Malibu Hybrid appears to have a very different EPA rating any ideas what has changed?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe there is no difference in the engine / transmission of the 2016 & 2017 Malibu Hybrid. The difference may be in the testing
method. I believe next year or when they conduct the official EPA test with 10% Ethanol blend of gasoline you will see the EPA number drop somewhat.

Remember, and few people know this, the EPA and the official testing for all new cars is with pure 100% regular and premium gas with no added ethanol. Why, there is no sensible answer in my opinion as 95% of all gasoline today in the US is blended with Ethanol, the pumps that have pure gas are the exception and not the rule, and remember you will always pay more money for it over the 10% ethanol blend.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&path=1&year1=2016&year2=2017&make=Chevrolet&model=Malibu Hybrid&srchtyp=ymm

2016: http://fueleconomy.gov/m/m.do?action=vehicles&id=37297: 47/46/46
2017: http://fueleconomy.gov/m/m.do?action=vehicles&id=38097: 49/43/46

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I believe there is no difference in the engine / transmission of the 2016 & 2017 Malibu Hybrid. The difference may be in the testing
method. I believe next year or when they conduct the official EPA test with 10% Ethanol blend of gasoline you will see the EPA number drop somewhat.

Remember, and few people know this, the EPA and the official testing for all new cars is with pure 100% regular and premium gas with no added ethanol. Why, there is no sensible answer in my opinion as 95% of all gasoline today in the US is blended with Ethanol, the pumps that have pure gas are the exception and not the rule, and remember you will always pay more money for it over the 10% ethanol blend.
It's not necessarily the best, but using pure gas means it is a standardized value between all vehicles.
Gas may contain up to 10% ethanol, but it could be any value from 0-10% and vary from station to station and tank to tank.
Of course, their testing could simply use a standard of 90%/10% and use that same controlled standard for each vehicle tested.
So, I think I just made my own point irrelevant.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Very little data on the 2016 and 2017 Chevy Malibu Hybrid from real world driving by real world owners when it comes to mpg's.
Seems there would be more on the road as it sure is better looking than the Camry hybrid, and EPA's out to better by quite a margin in mpg's. Infact the only other comparable vehicle is the Honda Accord Hybrid, which gets a 2-3 mpg more than the Malibu hybrid.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Very little data on the 2016 and 2017 Chevy Malibu Hybrid from real world driving by real world owners when it comes to mpg's.
Seems there would be more on the road as it sure is better looking than the Camry hybrid, and EPA's out to better by quite a margin in mpg's. Infact the only other comparable vehicle is the Honda Accord Hybrid, which gets a 2-3 mpg more than the Malibu hybrid.
Accord Hybrid doesn't exist anymore, at least not on Honda's US site. Or I couldn't find it anyway.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts