GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a low oil pressure warning while climbing a hill the other day. This is the second time I received the warning since October when I first purchase the vehicle. Last time it happened, I was also ascending a hill and put some oil in the engine for the night and got the oil changed the next day. This time) I’m more concerned because I know the oil was freshly changed (90% oil life.) I put some oil in right after the pressure warning and it went away for the last 7 days or so. I got a knock sensor warning and a handful of other codes I’ve attached to the post. Curious if this is something to worry about and if so, is it something I could fix. Or if this could be a sensor issue that I can safely ignore.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
pull the oil filter and cut it open.if you see metal flakes,,your engine is in trouble.

Reactions: tomadodd

·
Registered
670 Posts
The oil pressure warning and the Knock sensor warning probably are not related. You indicated that the oil level was probably low and the warning came climbing a hill. So potentially climbing a hill with the HV battery at minimum (you didn’t say how much range, or if using mountain mode), the engine is going to be running at max rpm and pumping all the oil out of the pan up into the valve train etc. Hope you didn’t damage the lower end of the engine doing that,

·
Registered
65 Posts
Firstly, is this a Gen1 or Gen2 Volt?

Second, the knock events and oil consumption could actually be related. Excessive amounts of oil in combustion chambers could cause such a thing. Especially if this is a Gen1 (requires Premium 91+ octane) that is running Regular 87 octane, and is under a lot of load for extended periods of time. (Uphill / Mountains)

If I am thinking correctly, I think the ECU can throw this code if you have an exceedingly high count of knock events. Which could be hand in hand with high oil consumption.

It could also be a fault in the sensor, or sensor circuit. But, I would lean towards the knock event count hypothesis.

I would first verify if you are having oil consumption issues and how much oil is being consumed. But I would NOT ignore codes or issues like these.

·
Administrator
21,493 Posts
Sheesh, this isn't a Get Together, moved to Problems

Reactions: Turboman92

·
Registered
280 Posts
The Volt ICE is a bit tricky to check oil level. It apparently wants to sit for several hours and be cold when you check oil level. On both of my Volts, a 2015 Gen I and now a 2018 Gen 2 will not give an accurate oil level on the dipstick if the ICE has been run and is hot or even very warm. Therefore, it is useless to add oil to the engine if it is hot, unless you are certain that the oil level is low. You could overfill. In fact, overfilling oil could have caused this condition if the ICE had been run hard in the past with too much oil in it. I say this because in your OP you stated that you added oil to the engine without also saying what you observed on the dipstick before doing so.

Your engine may be damaged by the previous owner(s). If you still have any warranty remaining on this car, you should consider filing a claim with the seller. Even if you bought it from a private party, that person has a legal obligation to inform the buyer of known faults.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Your engine may be damaged by the previous owner(s). If you still have any warranty remaining on this car, you should consider filing a claim with the seller. Even if you bought it from a private party, that person has a legal obligation to inform the buyer of known faults.
Hmmm, I would say that they do not have an obligation to inform anyone of anything. I'm sure this is state dependent but that's why cars are sold As Is - No Warranty. That removes all liability from the seller to the buyer.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Assuming that that is how this deal went down. The OP didn't describe that. He said the car was purchased in October. That's no more than 3 months ago. Some judge somewhere might disagree that the previous owner, aware of a defect, is not liable for not reporting the defect to the buyer. I'm just sayin'

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
887 Posts
How many times have you checked the oil level since you bought it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was about to ask the same as Danno here, the car is really new so this shouldn't happen so probably take it back for a check up (if this was with a dealer). Definitely something not to be ignored

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the feedback you guys rock! Ok so here’s the update, I haven’t had any oil pressure warnings since the first post. The engine was really loud though so I took it into a jiffylube and asked them to check the filter for metal and measure how much oil comes out. He said there was only a half a quart of oil in there! (No metal in the filter thankfully) That’s basically how much I put in the other night. I’ve never known the oil level because until today I couldn’t get my dipstick out (previous owner broke the finger ring off and I didn’t have long needle nose pliers to pry it off) So I had them replace the oil and filter, and I’m going to take it into the dealership tomorrow to see where the hell all the oil is going. Unless anyone knows a good place in Orange County CA that will service the volt, because I don’t think anyone but the dealerships work on them around here.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Please keep us updated, if you are losing that much oil and you don't see smoke or large puddles under the car, that would be extremely strange. Could be a long shot, but maybe the oil was changed just before you purchased it and whoever did it didn't put nearly enough oil back in it if any at all...........hopefully there was enough in there to prevent any damage.

·
Registered
285 Posts
A dipstick is probably less than $20. You need one ASAP. You should not just put oil in an engine unless you confirm that the level is low. Likewise, without a dipstick, you don't know how much oil to add. Given your engine's history, you should check the oil level daily until you're sure it's not leaking and then at least weekly. The fact that the current dipstick is broken is a red flag in my mind because that's unusual. It may indicate that the prior owner used it a lot because of an engine oil problem.

Just googling yielded this link: Chevrolet Volt Dipstick - Guaranteed Genuine Chevrolet Parts I have no idea whether that site is a good one but the point it that there's no reason not to buy a dipstick.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Sheesh, this isn't a Get Together, moved to Problems
Looks like a "Get Together" to me. Look at all the people who got together to talk about the problem. :)

I agree, though, it was in the wrong spot - thanks for moving it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
A dipstick is probably less than $20. You need one ASAP. You should not just put oil in an engine unless you confirm that the level is low. Likewise, without a dipstick, you don't know how much oil to add. Given your engine's history, you should check the oil level daily until you're sure it's not leaking and then at least weekly. The fact that the current dipstick is broken is a red flag in my mind because that's unusual. It may indicate that the prior owner used it a lot because of an engine oil problem.

Just googling yielded this link: Chevrolet Volt Dipstick - Guaranteed Genuine Chevrolet Parts I have no idea whether that site is a good one but the point it that there's no reason not to buy a dipstick.
Yep, as a second option, this website is good.

Dipstick - GM (55574245)

GM Parts Direct

·
Administrator
21,493 Posts
Looks like a "Get Together" to me. Look at all the people who got together to talk about the problem. :)

I agree, though, it was in the wrong spot - thanks for moving it.
For some reason, many post their car problems anywhere BUT the Problems forum... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just got the new dip stick in the mail today. I will continue to monitor it and let you know what results. I deff think the previous own had an issue with it because when I bought the car she said she had just changed the oil and less than a week later I received my first pressure warning. Luckily after my last oil change there was no issues… until now. Maybe the last jiffy lube guy was an idiot and didn’t put enough oil in? Or possibly the engine was running so much since the last change it burned off the majority of the oil? I’m a bit stumped as well. Pretty bummed I need to take it into Chevy dealer and spend $200 just to disgnose a problem that will most likely cost me way more money to fix. I almost wish there were more private mechanics who knew how to work on these bad boys.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
887 Posts
There's no doubt that you've hurt the engine. The thing that will still be determined is how much. On my ELR, many here know the story of how a botched dealer oil pan re-seal caused no oil flow to the head. This resulted in a brand new head being installed.

Check your oil frequently. I'd do it every single time the ICE runs until you can trust it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts