355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,634 Posts

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Great new to read that the Chevy Equinox is among GM's highest rated vehicles (the Buick Cascada is new). My Equinox is still the best I have ever owned after seven years. And I wish GM will make an EREV Equinox for 2018.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've never given much credence to JD Powers... They are far too commercial in their awards and there are also so many of them that you have to be REALLY bad not to be able to win at least one... And their methodology is often oddly skewed.

The J.D. Power IQS was released yesterday.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not know the details of the rating system. On its face, it seems that problems per 100 is a pretty straight forward metric. Classifying vehicles by category helps normalize the data. Higher tech vehicles tend to have more features, hence more problems. Lately these are presented as UI problems but historically the JD Power ranking was used to track build quality issues (I think).

It seems to be a rating that every other auto manufacturer follows closely and strives to improve in year over year.

If you look at the rankings, I don't think many would disagree with the overall system. Is Kia better than it was 20 years ago? Um, yeh. Is GM better than it was 20 years ago? Yep. Ford, Subaru, Mazda, etc? Yes. So, I think it would be interesting to see where Tesla stands when compared to the "Big Dogs".

You'd think that with all the pres and hype around Tesla, that they would at least be mentioned in this list. Are there any mainstream manufacturers, other than Tesla, that are missing?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
With categories and sub-categories and sub-sub categories "everyone's a winner". This allows every manufacture to advertise at least one "winner". Makes the whole exercise almost meaningless. I suspect that Tesla wouldn't fare so well, though that may have changed from years ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts