GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Hyundai Sonata PHEV is coming according to this link which cites a Hyundai press release.

the all-new Sonata Hybrid will be joined next year by a Plug-in Hybrid variant of the Sonata, which will be Hyundai Motor's first Plug-in Hybrid. The company also plans to introduce its first dedicated Hybrid model in the second half next year.

... detailed information of the Plug-in Hybrid version will be also released at the show in Detroit, U.S.
The Sonata Hybrid's battery is 1.6 KWh, which puts it a hair above the Ford C-Max. So, by comparison to the C-Max Energi, I'd expect the PHEV battery to be around 8 KWh.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Too little, too late. I considered I might purchase the Sonata hybrid as the EPA mileage (which they've gotten into trouble for over estimating on a number of vehicles) was similar to the Volt on gas and it was a little larger. Had an ICE version for a loaner, same time I was test driving the Volt. Didn't really care for the Sonata and the Volt proved large and comfortable enough. They're going to go up against the Gen 2 Volt my guess their only advantage might be price. I've had Hyundais (still have one) and liked them, but have been somewhat disappointed in them over the long haul. They've made some improvements, but it wasn't enough to lure me back.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
A Hyundai Sonata PHEV is coming according to this link which cites a Hyundai press release.

The Sonata Hybrid's battery is 1.6 KWh, which puts it a hair above the Ford C-Max. So, by comparison to the C-Max Energi, I'd expect the PHEV battery to be around 8 KWh.
An 8 kWh battery will give it a range in the low 20's, if that. Basically a Ford Fusion Energi in new clothes. And it probably won't give a full EV experience like the Volt can give (For ~40 miles), either. Sounds pretty lame. But hey, it's another PHEV.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The battery pack for the Sonata will be 9.8 kWh, 29% higher than the Ford Fusion Energi's 7.6 kWh. Unlike the Fusion, the Sonata's battery is completely under the trunk floor, allowing for pass-through fold-down rear seats.

The Sonata and Fusion both offer more passenger room for those who need it, power seats, adaptive cruise, but cannot compare to Volt's range and performance. These models offer a compromise for those of us needing the additional comfort, passenger room and features that were not included in the Gen 2 Volt.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Any vehicle with a plug should be cause for celebration! So great news Hyundai is going to offer a PHV Sonata. The Sonata is an overall great car, very comfortable and usually well built. The company, however, has had a seriously bad habit about inflating its horsepower and/or mileage numbers over the years -- so I only hope they are on the level with the data for this new model.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The battery pack for the Sonata will be 9.8 kWh, 29% higher than the Ford Fusion Energi's 7.6 kWh. Unlike the Fusion, the Sonata's battery is completely under the trunk floor, allowing for pass-through fold-down rear seats.

The Sonata and Fusion both offer more passenger room for those who need it, power seats, adaptive cruise, but cannot compare to Volt's range and performance. These models offer a compromise for those of us needing the additional comfort, passenger room and features that were not included in the Gen 2 Volt.
I'll be in the market this spring (but I can wait until fall if warranted) for a replacement for our leased Volt. We're in the same boat as you...seeking comfort and room and willing to sacrifice some EV range and performance to get it.

I'm VERY interested in the Sonata and was disappointed when the OP's link was a re-posting of somewhat old news (mid-Dec).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts