GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Houston we've rolling blackouts for 2 days. I have a 1500 watt Cobra power inverter permanently installed in the rear of my '16 Volt. I powered on the car and started the inverter, which is receiving a steady 13.1 volts from the DC-DC inverter supporting the 12v battery. But here's the amazing thing- I plugged in the J1772 EVSE and it started to charge the traction battery, while the car is parked in the ready state. So, now for 2 days I've been running the household 120v appliances from the inverter, and while the grid is down the EV miles run down, and when the grid comes up randomly the EVSE restores the miles and the charging light blinks back up to 100% charge.

·
Registered
77 Posts
On my 2017 when I have done stuff in the garage like cleaning the car or whatever and it is plugged in I can start the car and it runs off the evse to run the heat. Kind of nice here in MN when it is super cold to have heat without needing to open the garage door or something like that. It won't let you shift out of park if the charger door is open though. I tried because I needed to move the car like a few inches and it wouldn't let me until I unplugged and closed the door. Even unplugged door open it wouldn't let me get out of park.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
837 Posts
Even unplugged door open it wouldn't let me get out of park.
Gen1 and ELR will let you shift and drive with charge port open, but EVSE must be unplugged. There is a warning on the cluster to dismiss.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Even unplugged door open it wouldn't let me get out of park.
Interesting - I drove to work one morning with my charge door open. There was so much ice that I couldn't latch the door but I could close it down so it didn't stick out. The car whined the whole way about the charge port door being open.

Reactions: jbakerjonathan

·
Read Only
0 Posts
On my 2017 when I have done stuff in the garage like cleaning the car or whatever and it is plugged in I can start the car and it runs off the evse to run the heat. Kind of nice here in MN when it is super cold to have heat without needing to open the garage door or something like that. It won't let you shift out of park if the charger door is open though. I tried because I needed to move the car like a few inches and it wouldn't let me until I unplugged and closed the door. Even unplugged door open it wouldn't let me get out of park.
Is this the case? I would swear it has allowed me to shift out of park if the door is open, it just won't allow me to do so if the charger is plugged in.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt LT
250 Posts
not just the door open, while plugged-in you cannot move the car.
door open you can move the car.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
not just the door open, while plugged-in you cannot move the car.
door open you can move the car.
Yes in my Gen 2s we forget all the time and it just nags until you close the door or dismiss the reminder. When plugged in though no go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts