GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got new tires a week ago. Some of them had uneven wear. They were getting worn in the center like they were over-inflated. I have around 40000 on my Volt and I've gone through a couple of sets.

A tire salesman told me that some Tesla models get 10000 to 15000 miles out of a set of tires. Has anyone else heard anything like that?
I got new tires a week ago. Some of them had uneven wear. They were getting worn in the center like they were over-inflated. I have around 40000 on my Volt and I've gone through a couple of sets.

A tire salesman told me that some Tesla models get 10000 to 15000 miles out of a set of tires. Has anyone else heard anything like that?
got 50k on OEm on 2017 volt and could have gone further . Note. I got a great deal on some nice Bridgestone “low roll resistance” tires but that description apparently is not the same as Eco. While any new tire will get less mileage than older tires my EV range is still down so if important to u I would stick w the oem Michelin tires. I like these and will stick w them but not thing the up front deal I got was worth the trade off on range (down 6 miles or over 10%)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dunno. If they weren't actually overinflated, I don't see how that could happen even with hard driving. Max cold pressure is max cold pressure and should be at least close to fine.
The volt computer keeps track of tire pressures and sends warnings if they are out of range

·
Registered
2014 Crystal Claret Volt
1 Posts
Just failed inspection on 2014 Volt due to excessive wear on inside of front tires. (And looking at them they all have more wear on the inside). Dealer put new tires 12/19 when I bought the car- Goodyear Assurance on original wheels. Have driven 35K mostly highway miles. Rotation, alignment every 6500 or so. Inflation at 38. Shop guy said it was due to weak struts. This is probable as the car has always been a bit 'clunky' tho some of the roads here are pretty awful. Can't see why tires would wear any different on an electric car. Aren't suspensions pretty much standard?
However, my windshield does have lots of small pits and could use replacing. That's suspicious.....

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
The volt computer keeps track of tire pressures and sends warnings if they are out of range
It's worth remembering that the car's idea of "out of range" is pretty wide. I've never seen a high-pressure warning even at 50 PSI, and the low-pressure one is someplace in the mid 20s.

·
Registered
481 Posts
My C7 Corvette wore out its back tires only after 500 miles of some mild shenanigans. Who knew spinning your tires in place on asphalt for a hundred yards at at time could wear them down so easily. 😁

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have model 3 LR RWD and I got 26K on my first set. 10 to 15K would be way low...

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Perhaps it would be better phrased as "some Tesla drivers get as little as 10000 to 15000 miles out of a set of tires." Which may well have been what the tire salesman actually said for all we know.

·
Registered
13,989 Posts
Here’s the flip side to the tire wear discussion…drive it like you stole it - it’s much more fun that way. Get the car aligned then don’t worry about tire wear and just get a new set every time you see any wear.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts