GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer just got in a 2016 ELR with performance package. Has anyone tried out this package? Thinking of trading my 2014 ELR for a 2016 ELR just curious if the performance package is worth it?

I've heard the CUE system is also improved.

Anyone with a 2016 that can tell me how much better the 2016 is vs the 2014?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Surprisingly, Cadillac has unearthed a magical software update that’s inflated the ELR’s output substantially. Total system horsepower from the ELR’s pair of electric motors and gasoline four-cylinder engine rises from 217 to 233, while peak torque swells from 295 lb-ft to 373. Cadillac claims this—in conjunction with a reprogrammed sport mode—drops the ELR’s zero-to-60 time a full 1.5 seconds, to just 6.4 ticks
Very interesting....

·
Registered
5,782 Posts

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Very interesting....
Indeed. Did they make any hardware changes to accomplish this? If not, a 2014 should have everything needed to do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Indeed. Did they make any hardware changes to accomplish this? If not, a 2014 should have everything needed to do the same thing.
Yes they did

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Anyone with a 2016 that can tell me how much better the 2016 is vs the 2014?
Here's my take based on a test drive (non-Performance):

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?198058-Blastphemy-has-driven-a-2016-ELR!

I did drive the Performance Package a couple of weeks after that write-up... it felt stiff, bumpy, and hugged the road, which I know some people definitely like. Very responsive steering. However, it didn't make the car any faster, if that's what you're wondering.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Meh. Unless you have to have different wheels and better brakes. I can, however, see getting the sport package if you intended to replace the all seasons with summer only. In this case the performance package would save you some money on the new tires.

From listening to the Cadillac rep explain the differences to the Cadillac sales people, they made the front suspension more robust to accommodate the greater torque.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Very interesting....
In order to get 233 HP all of the power from the ICE and all of the power from both motors would have to simultaneously be sent to the wheels. I suppose this is possible. If you clutch the ICE to MGA. Then operate MGA as a motor instead of a generator. Then send the combined power of the ICE and MGA, both of which are running at max power to the transmission. At the same time the traction motor would have to be operated at max power. Together the two power flows add up to something around 233 HP. But there has to be some magic to do this as the two inputs go to two of the three nodes of the planetary gear set, the third being the output drive to the wheels. You need some reactive force to transmit torque through the transmission. Normally this is done by locking one the gears to the case of the transmission. How does power flow work when power is coming in on two of the three nodes of the transmission? Where's the reactive force? Does the torque from the combined MGA/ICE provide sufficient reactive force to balance the torque from MGA? Years ago the possibility of exactly this arrangement was discussed on this forum and the collective consensus was that it could not be done.

Another question is can the battery sustain such a heavy draw? Together both motors would draw 166 KW of power. I wouldn't think it would be possible to invoke this mode during normal CS operations as the battery SOC would be too low.

It would be great if the ELR could do this, but IMHO a nice way to impress friends but not very useful in real life as using this mode creates such a heavy draw on the battery the vehicle will quickly have to switch to CS operations. Never the less, it is a case of having your cake and eating it too, just you can't do both at the same time.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
In Touring Mode (EV only), the 2016 ELR still accelerates noticeably faster than the 2014. In Sport Mode with the engine sometimes assisting, it's even more robust. Don't know the science behind it, but it definitely works. On my 15-minute test drive, I had no problem accelerating aggressively over and over again, and the engine never came on unless I was in Sport Mode.

At one point on the drive, I merged onto the highway at full acceleration from 0 to 75 in Touring Mode (about 7 seconds up a slight incline) and then sustained the 75 mph speed (with a few passing maneuvers over 80) for about 3 minutes. The 2016 ELR performed without any noticeable hesitation or stress, and the engine never came on unless I switched to Sport Mode - and even then it wasn't on all the time nor struggling.

Luckily it was very light traffic and no highway patrol was around! It helped having a second pair of eyes in the passenger seat. (I think the salesperson hadn't ever opened up the ELR, because he was having a great time with a big grin on his face egging me on to put the ELR through its paces.) Maybe I didn't buy one, but I gotta wonder if that salesperson is going to take advantage of his employee discount! lol.

·
Registered
39 Posts
18 mos after original post!...I have a 2016 ELR without the "Perf Pckg", but I can report I test drove a 2014 before I bought a '16, and I noticed a big difference in favor of the '16, acceleration-wise. Also, it's much quicker 0-60 than my '14 Volt, which I bought new & drove for 47K miles before I switched to the '16 ELR

I'm thinking of upgrading the ELR wheels to the performance pkg wheels (#4756MG is part #, "RTH" was option code), strictly for appearances, not performance (but I hope they are lighter, the stock wheel are HEAVY!). It's all personal preference; I've heard some posters here say they actually like the stock RQ9 better - but not me. Unfortunately, if I just change the wheels only, then the stock disc brake calipers will be much more exposed, and they look kinda chintzy! (They were well hidden by the stock ELR wheels, RQ9).

I found a set of immaculate lightly used '16 ELR sport wheels online for a good deal, but I can't justify the cost of a brand new set of front Cadillac Brembo 4 pistons on the front that were stock on the ELR Perf Pckg...just for looks! (With Regen I rarely use the brakes much anyways,f I can help it...this is not a track car!!! Just want it to look even cooler at Cars & Coffee...!)

Looking into "lightly used" genuine used Cadillac Brembo FRONT brake calipers (black) off a CTS or XTS from 2013-2016, much higher production so possible to find, unlike used ELR brembos. And MUCH cheaper than new OEM brembo ELR front brakes, obviously, which are avail. Stock front brembos for ELR were matte black w/prominent "Cadillac" script logo w/ much smaller "brembo" subscript - very classy. Other caddy's used this same sytyle. Or even CTS "V" series brakes, also made by Brembo - in Italy apparently! - which look even cooler, in silver. In either case, to mitigate the cost, I'd probably just leave the smaller (less noticabe) rears alone for a few years, or for good. Although even w/ just the fronts, I'd still be into a complete front brake replacement scenario- purely for looks, functionally it makes no diff on an electric car! - so probably approaching $1,000 to have someone change the front brakes for me, used calipers and new pads & labor, etc all-in. Yikes! (Good thing I love this car so much!)

So call it $1,300 for new, flawless sport wheels (incl labor to transfer my like-new tires and TPS transmitters off of the stock 20" wheels), and another "$1,000" for matching Cadillac brembo or V-Sport brembo's in front...hmmm. Will post "after" pix if I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Unfortunate you have RQ9. If you had RQA (Midnight silver pockets) you wanted to sell, I'd offset the cost of the wheels. Although since 90% of the re manufacturing sites seem to mix up the part numbers, I wonder if GM Leasing would even notice if I turned in the Bright Silver pockets.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
What wheels did you put on your ELR? (Photo?)
When these cars come in at end of lease, no way the local dealership (who doesn't own the car anyways, just checking for damage or wear in excess of allowable limits) would ever pick up on such a subtle difference. Not to mention these guys only see maybe 1 of these ELRs per quarter, and do not know much about them.

Curious why you didn't hang on to the stock wheels for when it was time to turn the car in?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sorry, I didnt go into details. I still have the stock wheels, just beat the hell out of them.
Actually, just minor curb rash, just barely over the 3" limit GM Leasing forgives.
Really, tho, the potholes have taken their toll. I had 2 slightly bent, to the point where they would spin balance but no road force balance. Then, I got a pothole perfect a couple weeks ago on a 3rd wheel that is 'visible' when spinning it by hand.

I found a set of brand new dealer takeoffs, but they are RQ9, so I am just weighing if I should go ahead at roll the dice.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
can you tell by the vin if an elr has the perf package?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts