GM Volt Forum banner

2016 ELR Ordered

7K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Voltar 
#1 ·
Hello,

Decided to order a 16 ELR last month. It's supposed to be built next week, so hopefully I'll be able to get into it in a few weeks here. (Wish I could track the order better. When my dealer emails me I don't even get complete sentences...)

I know owners are few and far between, but any advice on things I should check on before accepting delivery would be great.

(chose Tricoat white with black interior, lease hasn't been finalized but was quoted around 430$/mo @ 12K/3yr)

Thanks!

#4 ·
That's exactly our built, '16 with tricoat, black interior. Look very well around the car, check panel fitment, inside look over everything, back seats especially (we replaced one of the seat covers because it had been damaged during transport / the way seat was folded caused that). Congrats on your built, you will love it!

#6 ·
It is a lot for a lease, but I'm a bit of a car enthusiast *shrug* and with engineering salary it's doable.
I have a 2K$ voucher I'll be putting down, the reason the lease payment was quoted "low" is because I have employee pricing.
Cadillac CUE should be upgraded from the 2014 model (at least hardware wise for now). As somebody who worked for Ford for a few years I'm interested to see how GM's infotainment stacks up. From experience I can say I'm very impressed with Sync Gen 3.
I'll certainly check gaps and fitments.

Poolside - which seat was it that was damaged?

Thanks everyone!

#7 · (Edited)
yea, I've got a 2K voucher and employee pricing on the car which is why I'm getting it for 430ish instead of the advertised 499..

I'll definitely check panel gaps in and out of the vehicle. CUE is completely new for 16MY should run much faster and be capable of carplay and android auto. I'll certainly test it out. I've got extensive experience with Sync Gen 2 (bleh) and Sync Gen 3. Sync Gen 3 is a really big leap, and I recommend you take a look at it. I can give you guys feedback on the CUE system if you want.

Poolside - what seat was it that you had fixed?

I don't have a 240 plug yet. I do have 240 running to the garage (no outlet, just run to a covered box). So I'd need to either hard ware it up, or install an outlet and get a 240 that plugs into a standard 240 outlet. I'm open to recommendations, but seeing as my commute is under 13 miles, I expect 120 will be all the charging I'll really need. Besides I'm told there are freebie chargers here at work if you get here early enough. I guess I'll find out.

Thanks guys!

#8 ·
OP - The seat back cover was damaged during transport (seat belt made a big dent in the side of the seat behind the driver), replaced under warranty. CUE required a hard reboot (look it up on Google in case you need that). Love this thing!

#9 ·
Grats, from everything I've heard, the 2016 is only an improvement. Most of my driving is ~13mi round trip as well and have only been using the L1. We do have an L2 though, and is nice to quickly fill up after errands in the morning and have it ready for the evening or topping off before heading out of town. Purely a convinence if you want it, but hey sounds like you are half way there if you have the power already.

#15 ·
A car (with only a few exceptions) is a depreciating asset. you'll never make money on a car you purchase to use as a daily driver. The most cost efficient for new cars is to buy, and drive it until it costs more to fix than replace. However there is now the lease option. It is more expensive than purchasing a car (in the long run), but there are benefits. To me I place high value on driving the latest gizmos, and with that being the case leasing is the most cost efficient.

Leasing is a great option to the consumer because if the lease company gets the residual value of the car wrong, we win either way. because you are only paying for the depreciation, if the car ends up being far more valuable at the end of the lease term, you do end up with equity in the car. You can purchase outright for your agreed upon residual, and then trade in immediately to make that money. Or on the flip side if your car is far less valuable than it's residual, you can drop it off, and it's the lease company that takes that hit.

One additional benefit is that most leases occur during the vehicles warranty. More often than not, if you require a vehicle repair it will be covered by the original vehicle warranty.

On a side note Cadillac even offers their premium car maintenance program standard. That means for the life of your lease all oil changes, tire rotations, filters etc... are covered.

So if having the latest and greatest isn't important to you, the most cost efficient thing to do is buy new and hold on to it for 10-12 years, or buy a car just coming off lease (2/3yr old used car) and drive that 7-9 years.

#18 ·
On a side note Cadillac even offers their premium car maintenance program standard. That means for the life of your lease all oil changes, tire rotations, filters etc... are covered.
Same thing with purchase. Just because they include it in the car's price doesn't mean it's cheap though...

#16 ·
Last I checked 10 year old XLRs were still going for around 20k. While they cost a little bit more they also made a lot more although still rare. While I don't buy or lease expecting to make money 20k or some rough equivalent for the ELR ain't nutin.

#19 ·
We just picked up our 2016 Wednesday and went through the lease vs buy dilemma. We have not leased a car in 20 years but did so this time. I just did not want to own the car at the end of this lease. We both work in the auto industry as engineers and IMO I want to hand this SUPER technical car back in and not deal with trying to sell it. Or not deal with trying to keep it 10 years and pray nothing breaks. I hope we just put on the 30000 miles and turn it in with not much other costs like tires. Up hear in Detroit they pull cars in for leasing 6-9 mo early so we might be in the next Gen EV Hybrid in mid 2017. I am sure whatever that car is it will be even more amazing then the 2016 ELR and it appears if you have a Caddy lease GM does whatever it takes to keep you in a Caddy lease. Right now they give you another 2000 off the CTS for just that situation.

Finally, yes a $430 payment is a lot but the Tesla was a $900 lease for just a 70D. Don't get me started on the issues with that car.

#20 ·
Florchak- can I PM you please.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.