GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Short answer: No

Technically it is possessible, but it would be prohibitively expensive, assuming the dealer is even willing to assume the liability for installing it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Here is a rough cost estimate based on retail parts costs and technical schematics:

Front Collision Radar module: $455
Slave modules, radar, side mounted ($250x2) $500
Mounting Bracket for radar module: $124
Assorted mounting screws : $3
Wiring harness A: $235
Wiring harness B: $950
Fuse block wiring: $30
Other neccesary bits and bobs $90

Estimated Labor
15 Hours install (the dashboard must be removed)
2 Hours reprogramming
1 Hour testing

Estimated cost:
Labor ([email protected]$110/hr) $1980
Parts cost : $2387

Total: $4367

Note: I did not include the cost of replacing the steering wheel buttons with properly labeled replacements because the existing buttons will work fine after being reprogrammed.

This is just a "back of the napkin" estimate, but it would seem easier to find a car already equipped from the factory. Honestly, for the price, every single ELR should have come standard with radar cruise. 10 years ago I had a Jaguar that had radar cruise, and it had a lower MSRP than the ELR, even after considering inflation.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the work on the rough cost. It does have the front collision option but might be different.

Like many things would be best to just get a different car if I really wanted it. Just wanted to ask what people's experiences were with that. I know some things can be installed by the dealer like if someone wanted a car but wanted one other option they could install it for the sale.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Manual says FCA with ACC operates differently than without. I'm thinking they are different hardware and code.

I doubt that adding ACC would be attempted by a dealer even if there is a factory procedure.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Like many things would be best to just get a different car if I really wanted it.
I think cars.com had a 2014 MY ELR with ACC listed at under $40K. I believe you're looking for an "R" in the fifth spot on the VIN (at least for the 2014 MY and I'd guess the 2016 MY as well).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Now, for MY 2016, the 5th spot on the vin, is either an "L", for the standard model,,, or an "M", for the performance package.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If the 2014 has an S in the fifth spot,,what model is that?

·
Registered
129 Posts
If the 2014 has an S in the fifth spot,,what model is that?
An 'S' has all three major options: Luxury Package, Adaptive Cruise Control, and Kona seats. The only other factory option is the paint color. The silver, dark grey, and black paint are all no-cost options. The red tintcoat was a $995 option.

--Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts