GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just drove the car about 70 miles with no issues. I stopped for about 5 minutes to get some food and when I turned the car back on the drivers screen was blank. If I hit the right-side selector on the steering wheel (like you would to change info on the display) the display comes back on for about five seconds but the speed says 0 mph even though I was driving. Scrolling through the info screens is shows "--" for everything like tire pressure, trip info, oil temp, etc. The battery and gas gauges were still lit up at all times on either side of the main display but it didn't show the range left underneath.

It is in the mid-20's outside and I had a little less than a quarter of battery left. The car is nw in my garage charging on my 220 charger. It may be fine when I turn it back on...but it may not. That driver display is pretty important when operating a car so you can understand my concern either way. Somehow I doubt this is the first instance of this happening so I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To give a quick update, a few hours later the car is acting normal. That doesn't make me feel any more confident that it won't happen again so I would love to know what caused it. Maybe I put it in gear too quick after starting it up?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I don't have an ELR, but if a similar situation happened to me I would probably try disconnecting the 12v battery for a little bit, then re-connect and see if that helps. Since it does come on for a short period of time, I doubt it would be a fuse.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I think the display itself stores certain display values like the ones you say are showing blank. That would make me suspect the display control board went bad and needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I swear I updated this post last night but it said it had to go through a moderator before it would show up. Anyway, to give a quick update, a few hours later the car is acting normal. That doesn't make me feel any more confident that it won't happen again so I would love to know what caused it. Maybe I put it in gear too quick after starting it up?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Could be as simple as the 12V battery being an early failure. If it happens again, I'd research the history of the car. If it sat for extended periods on dealer lots like most, that's hard on the 12V battery. Low voltage on start/boot can cause all sorts of odd problems.

·
1,027 Posts
Definitely the 12v battery, and maybe the APM ( what the ELR has in place of an alternator ).

With the cold it is quite likely to be the battery. I'd suggest just replacing it, once these types of things come up all kinds of weird crap happens and it almost always ends up being the 12v battery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This worked for me on our 2014 Cadillac ELR. Battery is in the trunk. Remove the negative terminal for a while and hook back up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The more I think about it, and it only happened the one time, the more I believe it happened because I put the car in gear too fast after tuning it on. I haven't really tried testing this theory because I don't want to mess with a working system, but it sure seems plausible. I think there is a message that comes up that says the system is booting up right when you turn it on, too.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Re: Disconnecting the 12V battery. Wasn't there a post about Onstar battery being activated on Cadillacs when that happened with the resultant cost of $100 (or was it only for the duration of disconnect, wasn't really clear on that point).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts