GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone backed their F150 into my parked 2016 yesterday. While inspecting the damage I noticed my magnetic flashlight wasn't sticking to the hood nor the hatch. What are they made of? Aluminum?

TIA

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Aluminum, just like the Gen I Volt.

·
Administrator
19,968 Posts
The Gen 2 rear hatch is also aluminum. The rest of the exterior is HS steel.

The Bolt EV will use aluminum for all the exterior panels.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The Gen 2 rear hatch is also aluminum. The rest of the exterior is HS steel.

The Bolt EV will use aluminum for all the exterior panels.
Why can't GM use plastic for all the exterior panels as they did for the Pontiac Fiero? I have seen several Fieros up close (there is a large Fiero Club here) and the all look as new, since the panels never rust, and we have terrible weather for cars (high humidity and heat - it was 92 degrees today).

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Next time you look at the Fiero check out the body panel gaps. The gaps are huge to allow for expansion and contraction of the panels and that's why they don't use plastic panels any more.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The front fenders are galvanized steel

·
Registered
212 Posts
Why can't GM use plastic for all the exterior panels as they did for the Pontiac Fiero? I have seen several Fieros up close (there is a large Fiero Club here) and the all look as new, since the panels never rust, and we have terrible weather for cars (high humidity and heat - it was 92 degrees today).
Fiero was my 1st GM Car.
I did appreciate the Dent Proof Body Panels.
However, that construction method is heavy, which I suspect is why it's not used anymore.
Except, the Smart Car seems to use it (had one of those too).

Also, the panels were a bit wavy and as Sly Bob said panel gaps were not the tightest.
Still a fair trade off for dent resistance.
Unfortunately, heavy is taboo in todays MPG/e sensitive climate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts