GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mostly happy new owner of a 2016 Black Mosaic Premier. Two weeks tomorrow! :cool:

However am experiencing the following:

Aux Input. Issue occurs w/two different iPod Classics: One 80GB (loaded w/2K+ ALAC files) and the other 160GB (loaded w/12K+ AAC files). When using the aux input am experiencing a random crackling sound. Have seen this issue reported in this forum but haven't seen any convincing solution. VERY annoying. For the record 99.9% of these files are ripped from CDs as I rarely download music. Both pods have been restored and re-synched as part of the trouble shooting and the issue persists.

USB Input: Have also tried these two iPods via USB and this is a real failure. System doesn't see all the files, plays album tracks in the wrong order and after some time just ups and quits altogether. Have tried two different OEM cables as well. No help. Whisky Tango Foxtrot? This is completely unacceptable on a $40K automobile.

Bose Premier System. While it sounds great (really!) when the iPods work (rarely) it doesn't seem to have any of the noise canceling or DSP features I've read about in the manual. When I select Tone Options all I see is "Talk" and "Custom." I leave everything flat. The manual details various options "if equipped." How the devil is someone supposed to know if its equipped? The widow sticker doesn't say, the dealer wasn't that much help, and GM Support via chat couldn't tell me either, even when I supplied the VIN.

Curious - does anyone know where the subwoofer is?

While I'm at it CarPlay disconnects from my iPhone 6 from time to time as well.

Much obliged for any assistance whatsoever.

All the best...

~dm

·
Banned
398 Posts
I had similar problems. There is a recent thread on this. A quick shot/spray or two of CRC Electronics cleaner cured the problem. It's dirty connections.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had similar problems. There is a recent thread on this. A quick shot/spray or two of CRC Electronics cleaner cured the problem. It's dirty connections.
Thanks - saw that thread and plan on the CRC solution. Any color on the other (USB, CarPlay) issues? USB is the preferred method of listening, aux input is a work around until the USB issue is corrected.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Duplicate your iphone's music on an USB stick. Should play fine, and you don't have to even plug the iphone in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Duplicate your iphone's music on an USB stick. Should play fine, and you don't have to even plug the iphone in.
Presume you mean iPod - don't put music on my phone.

Yes, I'm going to try a flash drive as well but would still prefer to use my iPod as I can easily synch it w/iTunes on my Mac. Putting music on a flash drive is not what I'm looking for. The unit is advertised to work with iPods so it should, dontcha think? :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've experienced the usb crackling problem in my 2016 and also heard it in a 2017. Tried cleaning with crc but found this did nothing the fix the issue. I've been listening to the problem for a couple of months and think it may be a problem with the radio and not the actual jacks. it seems to occur much more often on low frequency stuff. I recall the crackle on Neil Young's "Needle and the Damage Done" to be very noticeable. I suspect this may be a problem on many cars but most people do not use the aux jack at all.

Todd

·
Registered
313 Posts
My recently purchased 2017 had some interesting, concerns with the USB music playback. Like you say, the songs will play out of order as the system will rearrange them alphabetically. Even if you have folders for different music types ( oldies, ambiant, classical ). According to some very kind comments on this site, there are only two ways to try to control the music arrangements...

... One way is to number or alphabetically arrange the names ( 01 name, 02 name or a name b name ) which will group everything in one long list.
... The second way to group them together is to make play lists. Good luck finding any reference to making a playlist in the GM literature, however, Again, the kind Volt owners on this site have come to the rescue.

You can just dump all the songs on the root of the USB thumb drive or you can separate the types of music each in a folder.
You can use Windows NOTEPAD, a txt writer and create a file with a .m3u extension. ( Rock.m3u ) This will be on the root of the Thumb drive.
In this file, you will just copy the name of the songs to your play list and make sure you have the extension to the song ( MP3 / WMA / ACC )
If on Root, just the song title. ( LovinMyVolt.WMA )

If in a directory called "ROCK" add the directory /ROCK/LovinMyVolt.WMA
add the songs you wish to add to this particular playlist ( you will make a playlist for each type of music/audio book etc )
Save the playlist to the USB drive root ( ROCK.m3u ) -- you must add the ext where you type the name for the save before saving.

When you start up the options for USB the player will first display all the songs alphabetically from all the folders. Select List then playlist, and if it likes what you typed, you will see each playlist that you saved on the USB and all the songs associated with it.

I don't think you can make one play list to list group of secondary playlists.

Many thanks to those that shared this information here, it works great.
On thing I will mention, I use a 16gb USB drive, I am told it will play a 64gb and I read where it may play a 128gb.

Also, my main music collection is in WMA extension so you can save a lot of music on a usb drive.
However, and it may have just been my typing but the play list ( I've only tried once ) does not like a huge number
of titles. again, I am still experimenting but I'd say there were well over 100 titles on one play list that did not
work however all the rest work just fine . but normal numbers of song titles, 25, 50 seem to work wonderfully.

I thought I would use the Aux input because I use it in my Dino powered car but with the USB option, the USB drive is much more convenient and with working playlists, you can leave it in the car as you would a CD changer, only you can have many more song types, song titles to hear.

Just tossing that out there, may be helpful

2017 Volt Prem Silver
build date 05 15 2016

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info folks. As noted I'm going to try the USB workaround. I have a Mac though so the instructions Runion kindly posted don't apply although I could probably figure out the Mac equivalent. Going to take the car into the dealer tomorrow and see what can be done.

A NEW issue popped up last evening. Was listening to the iPod via aux (crackles and all) and it would just randomly switch to CarPlay and play that frickin' U2 album they gave away a few years back. This had not ever happened before but I could not keep the thing in aux mode unless I disconnected the iPhone! So I deleted U2 from my phone just now and will see if that makes a difference. That was the only music on the phone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Deleted the offending U2 album from the iPhone. Carplay still cutting in while listening to music. Have an appt. w/Chevy dealer on Monday. Will advise when I have more info. Tempted to call the crackles a feature and not a bug as it reminds me of vinyl :)

Anyone have any color on the Bose questions? i.e location of the subwoofer and DSP/Noise canceling features.

ATB,

~dm

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the same issue with an iPod classic where the system doesn't see all the music files. I have an iPod Touch as well, and when I connect it via Bluetooth it works fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the sound quality the same? SQ is very important to me, which is why I paid extra for the Premier trim, to get the Bose system, which when it works, really sounds great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't think the Bose system (or any on the volt) have noise cancelling. The manual gave lots of info on the infotainment system that didn't apply to the Volt system, so I suspect it was a generic manual for other Chevy models.

The subwoofer is in the cargo area, passenger side.

·
Registered
156 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I believe sound quality from bluetooth is supposed to be as good as aux, as a general rule. ...[/url]

YMMV, of course.
Oh boy... We could go on all day about Bluetooth profiles, Bluetooth protocol stacks, Codexes, Phone implementations, and infotainment implementations...

Let's just say your streaming quality is highly dependent on bitrate and codec that can be negotiated between your smartphone and the radio. In some cases it'll be good...in some cases it might be not so good. Like said above...it's the ultimate YMMV.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Updates:

Dealer had the car on Monday, did a software update to MyLink system. Problem actually got worse. Had the tech in my vehicle for about 30 minutes demoing the various issues. Tech ordered and will install a new receptacle to hopefully at least correct the cracking noise which now also is audible over USB.

Was rooting around on the interwebs yesterday evening and found a CarPlay FAQ on www.my.chevrolet.com. There's a number to call if you are having issues with the "Infotainment System switching away from previously selected radio/audio source."

How 'bout them apples?

Called the number this morning and lo and behold this is a very well known issue. Not sure why my dealer didn't know but there you go.

According to the rep and he seemed to know what he was talking about, the issue is that the last two Apple IOS updates conflict with MyLink causing the issue. They get MANY calls every day. Nothing to be done until Apple corrects the code. Sigh.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts