GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the same bolt pattern as the new volt, 5x105mm. What do you guys think in terms of the look of the wheel below on the Volt.

18 Inch Wheels
Part #: 84012907
Brand: Chevrolet OEM

Attachments

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Those look very nice to me. Should work fine on the Volt, probably a bit heavier than the Volt wheel.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
http://www.gmdiscountpartsnow.com/oe-gm/84012907 $330/each and when I add 4 with shipping it's $1438 before tires and mounting...You'd also have to go to a store to have them mount the tires...Will be heavier and push the weight to the outside so will most likely take a slight range hit...Cheaper aftermarket 18" exist...I like them just personally wouldn't pay $2K+ for them...

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
Explain to me why someone would want to make their volt look like a Cruze? If I had a g2, I'd get some gunmetal grey 18" wheels from tire rack

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Explain to me why someone would want to make their volt look like a Cruze? If I had a g2, I'd get some gunmetal grey 18" wheels from tire rack
Ninja, you can have a Gen2, just lease one! :p

I believe they're willing to pay more for OEM and want 18s...For me I don't see the value for $2K+ to upsize one inch while dropping range/mpg, but to each their own...

·
Registered
907 Posts
Explain to me why someone would want to make their volt look like a Cruze?
ha, g2 already looks like the new Cruze. I looked at them both at our local auto show a few weeks ago.

To the OP, personally, I've always thought the asymmetrical patterns are odd. They look backwards on one side of the car (to me). If I were to do 18", I'd do the 18x8" with 235/40R18 for the handling and traction. Yes at the expense of some electric range. Not sure of the 18" Cruze wheel width. The Cruze optional tires are 225/40R18, which are slightly small (diameter) for Volt's odometer expectation.

Agree there are lots of wheel choices (although less for gen2). If you want to maintain the electric range, but just want a larger wheel, you may want to go with 18x7" wheel with 215/45R18 tire. But I haven't looked at those size tire availability. Finding the right tire for size, range, traction and cost is tough one!

·
Registered
568 Posts
330 dollars each? hah that's a joke. you can get lightweight aftermarket wheels cheaper.

I did lots of looking/research on 18" wheels that fit the volt... i.e. a set of enkei's with new rubber... just doesn't seem worth it for 1 extra inch of wheel, then having to deal with what looks like increased wheel gap due to low profile tires.

Odds are for me if I get the urge for "different' wheels, I'll just plastidip my wheels in that metallic anthricite grey they have that looks pretty good. Costs maybe 50-60 bucks to do, and maybe 1/2 a days work on them. (the volt i ordered is heather grey so it would be a very close match)

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
Ninja, you can have a Gen2, just lease one! :p

I believe they're willing to pay more for OEM and want 18s...For me I don't see the value for $2K+ to upsize one inch while dropping range/mpg, but to each their own...
If I wanted a G2, I'd buy one with cash. That said, my G1 is good enough, and putting +1" wheels on the car did drop the mileage,. So did adding better tires that hold the road like crazy, but we're talking a drop from 95 MPG to 85 MPG with my commute and driving patterns. Plus part of my mileage drop is also reverting back to normal highway driving rather than driving like a grandpa trying to hypermile. I've given up on the range game and just drive. My next car won't be a G2 because I need for my next car to be able to handle 4 passengers plus luggage for all 4 to get to the airport. So even a tesla model 3 (which Was in the running) has dropped off the list. I'm back to either a CT6, Tesla Model S or X, or a Subyukonade

1 - 8 of 8 Posts