GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 check engine light came on today, called a friend at chevy and he tells me that P3260 is a code the factory has seen before and there is no fix for it at this time but they are hoping to have a fix in the next couple of months, anyone else get this code and what was the out come?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Diagnostics manual says this:

I do recall seeing this code pop up for someone else on the forum a while ago. I couldn't begin to tell you what went wrong, but it has something to do with the drive motors providing torque when the engine is running in Neutral (or Nuetral, if you're the person writing the manual...), which obviously should not happen.

Is your car still driveable?

EDIT: The conditions in the manual are pretty confusing even for me, a computer programmer, but it looks like it may be possible for this code to throw if the car's in Neutral with the engine running for longer than 33 seconds regardless of what the motors are doing.

One possible scenario I can see causing this would be to shift to Neutral while the engine is on (Hold or charge-sustain mode) and then come to a stop, as I don't believe the engine will shut down in Neutral in this case. Did anything of the sort happen...?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Diagnostics manual says this:

I do recall seeing this code pop up for someone else on the forum a while ago. I couldn't begin to tell you what went wrong, but it has something to do with the drive motors providing torque when the engine is running in Neutral (or Nuetral, if you're the person writing the manual...), which obviously should not happen.

Is your car still driveable?

EDIT: The conditions in the manual are pretty confusing even for me, a computer programmer, but it looks like it may be possible for this code to throw if the car's in Neutral with the engine running for longer than 33 seconds regardless of what the motors are doing.

One possible scenario I can see causing this would be to shift to Neutral while the engine is on (Hold or charge-sustain mode) and then come to a stop, as I don't believe the engine will shut down in Neutral in this case. Did anything of the sort happen...?
Arcanox are you telling me the car has a motor. That's not it the last time the motor ran was about 8 months ago, I do alot of short trips the car is running fine and my mileage is still between 74 and 80 on a charge. Onstar was no help, I asked if I should drive it or park it and they said call the dealer

·
Registered
873 Posts
Arcanox are you telling me the car has a motor. That's not it the last time the motor ran was about 8 months ago, I do alot of short trips the car is running fine and my mileage is still between 74 and 80 on a charge. Onstar was no help, I asked if I should drive it or park it and they said call the dealer
I was merely listing a condition that might trigger that code. If the engine was never running, that particular case wouldn't have triggered it, but something did. Something happened when the car was in Neutral (or thought it was in Neutral) involving one or both of the motors, triggering this code. I wouldn't let it go, because it could indicate a problem with the transmission. If I were you, I would schedule an appointment sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Good advice Arcanox, I have an appointment for Wednesday to replace the outside antenna (No FM) so the service writer said they would clear the code but they have seen it 3 or four times before and it's a programming problem and their is no fix at this time but they will make sure everything is ok. Also I was very rude in not thanking you for the print out so THANK YOU

·
Registered
873 Posts
Good advice, I have an appointment for Wednesday to replace the outside antenna (No FM) so the service writer said they would clear the code but they have seen it 3 or four times before and it's a programming problem and their is no fix at this time but they will make sure everything is ok. Also I was very rude in not thanking you for the print out so THANK YOU
You're welcome; I forgot to post the link to the manual with the codes: https://service.gm.com/gmspo/mode6/pdf/2016/16OBDG01 Hybrid Diagnostics.pdf

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
There is no way that your motor could have last run 8 months ago without you also being out of fuel. It runs every six weeks, at minimum.

·
Registered
873 Posts
There is no way that your motor could have last run 8 months ago without you also being out of fuel. It runs every six weeks, at minimum.
That's a good point, I forgot about EMM since I've never had it happen on mine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your right , 8 months ago it did FMM and that was the 300 miles I put on the motor, other than emm the motor hasn't been run at all , I'm guessing I'm due next week. The car only has 4800 miles on it and on Volt Stats page for "overall" it's at 266 take a look.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2017 LT threw this code earlier today and it was caused by operator error on my part. My car port has a threshold bump that must be driven over (pulling in forward facing) and as soon as my rear tires hit it I shift into neutral and let the car's momentum carry it completely over. I do this in case I accidentally hit the gas so I won't hit the wall in front of the car which is close. Today when doing this I still had my foot on the gas while the car was rolling and shifting into neutral... The MIL light came on immediately with P3260 and P0AC4 both set. After reading this thread cleared the codes, drove in both normal and hold modes with no further issues. Thanks for the earlier posts that described the P3260 fault... I immediately realized what I did caused it.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Today when doing this I still had my foot on the gas while the car was rolling and shifting into neutral... The MIL light came on immediately with P3260 and P0AC4 both set. After reading this thread cleared the codes, drove in both normal and hold modes with no further issues. Thanks for the earlier posts that described the P3260 fault... I immediately realized what I did caused it.
Wow that’s weird! I probably couldn’t make that happen if I tried!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts