GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/volt/2016/long-term-road-test/2016-chevrolet-volt-will-the-luggage-fit.html

Edmunds did a recent luggage test in a 2016 Volt. Interesting to compare it to a 2016 Prius, which officially has 17 more cubic feet of seats-up cargo space (10.6 vs 27). Judging from a real world test, the Prius hatch is definitely larger, but doesn't look 2.5 times larger than the Volt's.

Volt hatch, 4 carry-ons:

Prius hatch, 4 carry-ons:
http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/prius/2016/long-term-road-test/2016-toyota-prius-will-the-luggage-fit.html

·
Registered
322 Posts
I agree that it doesn't look 2.5x bigger.
Unfortunately I play golf a lot more than I travel, and with two child seats there is no where to jam the clubs in my Volt. I'd kill for that Prius trunk space.

·
Registered
265 Posts
A fair comparison would be on a prius prime when it's released in a few months.
Does the Prius Prime have a different body size and style? I thought it was the same body as the standard Prius.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
This so reminds me of when my wife and I were trying to decide between the Ford Fusion Energi and the Chevy Volt. We took a normal vacation luggage amount to both dealers. Tried our best to squeeze it into the FFE, but it simply would not fit. Went to the Chevy dealer and it held it without difficultly. We were laughed at at both dealerships. We didn't mind. It really was funny. Needless to say, we purchased the Volt (but not there):) I still miss the features that the FFE had at the time over the Volt (the Volt has some of these features now, but not my 2012 of course). Specifically a moon-roof, bliss with cross traffic alert and blind spot protection, ACC, and a power seat with memory, but the most important to our two daughters were AIR VENTS in the back on the FFE. I still wish the Volt had air vents for them. We purchased a Noggle to help them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My last car was a 2003 Toyota Corolla, a bigger trunk, but because of the design, it was a lot harder to pack lots of items in, than the hatchback of the volt. So for me, I can pack just as much into the volt (if not more) as I could in the Toyota.

Cheers,
Tross

·
Registered
245 Posts
When shop for cars we bring my sons 7/8 double bass. That is a show that always gets car salesman scratching their head. It does not fit in the Volt (musicians be advised).

·
4,851 Posts
Unfortunately I play golf a lot more than I travel, and with two child seats there is no where to jam the clubs in my Volt. I'd kill for that Prius trunk space.
Wait, what?

I put my golf bag right down the center, in the hatch and then stretching beyond the rear seats. Well, okay, that's the Gen 1 Volt. I guess that's harder to do with the Gen2 now that there's a fifth seating position. ;)

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Wait, what?

I put my golf bag right down the center, in the hatch and then stretching beyond the rear seats. Well, okay, that's the Gen 1 Volt. I guess that's harder to do with the Gen2 now that there's a fifth seating position. ;)
Noticing the difference in apparent loss of width after I got my gen2, I measured and indeed gen2's storage width does lose 3 inches. However, it also gains 3 inches in length for that storage space (measurements taken with 2nd row seats down).

·
Registered
367 Posts
Before we sold our 2010 Prius and got a 2013 Volt, I took my Trek Madone road bike to the Chevy dealership (in the back of the Volt). The bike fit in the Volt as well as it did in the Prius. We now have a 2017 Volt and my new Specialized "gravel grinder" bike won't fit in unless I take the seat off. I attribute that though to the different geometry of the new bike.

·
Registered
265 Posts
When shop for cars we bring my sons 7/8 double bass. That is a show that always gets car salesman scratching their head. It does not fit in the Volt (musicians be advised).
I usually take the empty (soft) cases of an entire drum set with me to the car dealers before I buy my car to test if it can carry my stuff. I am happy to report that the Volt DOES pass my drum set test. However, I actually did not take the cases with me to the dealer when I bought my Volt —*I just eyeballed it and guessed that everything would fit. Lucky for me, it all fit when I brought it home. (That would've really stunk if it didn't!)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Wow, that's pretty bad. If you have anything even remotely bulky it would completely eliminate any chance of hiding it under a cover like a "VoltShelf"©.

It seems obvious to me that the ideal place for the batteries is in a flat pack under the floor as Tesla and now the Bolt EV are built. But in a hybrid like the Prius or a dual-fuel vehicle like the Volt there may be an issue with having to run the fuel system and the hot exhaust through that space.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
While my '12 Volt was being serviced they gave me a brand new (17 miles on the odo) Traverse for a loaner. When I came back it was full of boxes since we were in the middle of moving to another city and this dealership was half-way between them. I managed to get everything that I had carelessly packed, into the Volt (to the ceiling) by carefully packing. I can't count how many times I had the seat down and filled it to the roof.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I know the trunk measures small, but darn if I don't find the Volt's trunk useful!

I read that article on how space is measured. I also looked at the Edmunds articles for both cars.

The Volt was stated to have a cargo floor 38" wide by 29" deep. It appeared that two 10" tall bags fit nicely at the lowest spot. That comes out to 12.75 ft3 at least, not accounting at all for the extra space vertically as you approach the rear seat. I think the 10.6 might account for the slope of the rear seat. By all means, it appears to be a very conservative measurement (which, as a first time GM owner, I am finding they tend to be pretty conservative on things. Seems all US engineers are similar in that way).

The Prius was stated to have a cargo floor 37" wide by 30" deep. It also appeared that a 15" wide bag laid on it's side was maybe 3" (let's call it 5 to be generous) lower than the lowest spot. The width was taken at the wheel wells...it appears there is about 10" more on each side forming a triangular wedge. So let's assume 10" more width on average (very generous assumption given the wedge is not full depth). That's 16.3 ft3.

In fact, to get 27 cubic feet, you have to use 33" tall. I'm guessing this may be the absolute highest point in the cargo area, which isn't representative at all of the space in the car. Definitely seems that very different methods may be employed here.

·
Registered
260 Posts
This surprises me. I went golfing with my dad, and BOTH of our golf bags fit in the back of my '17 Volt. The back seat was up, too. Now, I have one of those slimmer bags, not one of the monster types you see on tour, but my dad's was a normal size bag.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts