GM Volt Forum banner

101 - 104 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
If these reports of diminished battery capacity from the recall update are accurate, it's interesting to think about how this interacts with the mandated 10-year battery warranty in California (and possibly also other CARB states). According to the New York Times, "The California-spec warranty does not allow for degradation of the battery’s capacity. If it’s not performing to “the highest standard” — that is, as new — during the warranty period, G.M. must repair or replace it, according to David Clegern, a spokesman for the California Air Resources Board." A Battery Warranty With a Warning - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

This California requirement is a bit ridiculous, since all batteries degrade over 10 years. But ridiculous or not, if it's a legal requirement, it would seem to create liability for GM.
The way GM designed the Volt's batteries I suspect even a degraded battery won't need replacing. Remember, the Volt never charges past 90% total SOC. This allows for up to 10% battery degradation without impacting the vehicle's sell specification.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This just popped up for our car yesterday on the myChevrolet app (and website). Or I should say that I just noticed it. Has anyone had this done yet? If so, have you noted any change? What is the increased warning time notification for, failing BECM or a cell balancing change?

View attachment 171969 I received my Notice N202307990 in mid-April. Took the 2017 Volt to my local dealer on Saturday morning May1 at 8AM. Got it back in the afternoon on the same day. Did use the car on Sunday May 2, but did a little on Monday May 3. On Tuesday May 4 the car stopped and couldn't be restarted. Had to call a wrecker to haul it back to the local dealer. Three day later we got the car back after major repair to replace the Internal Power Inverter Module (Setting Code P0C0B). Chevrolet dealer said it was just a coincidence that the Module failed right after the recall work... Humm...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Would love to hear from others that got the recall work done!!
If you review this thread, lots of people describe their experiences with this recall.

I just got it done a few days ago. No effect on range, or anything else, that I can discern.

101 - 104 of 104 Posts