GM Volt Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2018 Volt we leased brand new in April of 2018. Last week I called the dealer to get the oil changed and tires rotated for routine maintenance and during the call I asked the service manager if this car has any recalls open on it as I had read something on the possibility of a recall on this model yr Volt. He proceeded to tell me "yes" there is and I asked him to perform the recall when I get it in for the oil/tire service, which they did perform.

The next day, I started to realize some things had changed and these changes persisted thru the weekend and into present day. The gas gauge and the battery gauge are both off as compared to the original date of purchase for the past 3 years of ownership. Up until last Thursday (3-18-21), I was getting up to 60 miles on a full battery charge and 325 miles on a full tank of gas - in the neighborhood of 350-385 of miles on a full tank of gas and a full charge (This obviously depending on variables of outside weather temps and the in car control settings while driving).

Now since the recall update, my full battery gauge only goes up to 36 miles on a full charge and 280 on a full tank of gas - to reflect ~30- 70miles reduction when fully charged and filled.

I contacted the Chevy customer service center 800 number and they proceeded to inform there are "No" recalls for my specific car despite the dealer telling me there was.

I contacted the dealer and the same service manager tells me the recall they performed would not have any impact on the changes I'm experiencing and the recall he has listed is for "All" Chevy Volts and mine is included. He even tells me he has a print out of the recall as noted in his GM Bulletin

I took it back in for them to check it out, and after further review they now insist and tell me nothing is wrong and the computer shows no signs of any codes or anything wrong and/or out of calibration.

I asked him if they can do a "reverse" on the recall and he said "no go" as it's a computer software update and can't be "un-done."
Hi there. I have had the SAME thing happen. GM should be class actioned for this.. losing almost 20% is ridiculous as they did not fix the problem just lowered the charge performance so the battery does not charge above 80%. The overheating is fixed at our expense. So glad I leased.. it is a rip off car now.

Thanks for validating my issues!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
If these reports of diminished battery capacity from the recall update are accurate, it's interesting to think about how this interacts with the mandated 10-year battery warranty in California (and possibly also other CARB states). According to the New York Times, "The California-spec warranty does not allow for degradation of the battery’s capacity. If it’s not performing to “the highest standard” — that is, as new — during the warranty period, G.M. must repair or replace it, according to David Clegern, a spokesman for the California Air Resources Board." A Battery Warranty With a Warning - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

This California requirement is a bit ridiculous, since all batteries degrade over 10 years. But ridiculous or not, if it's a legal requirement, it would seem to create liability for GM.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Total mess.. reduces charging to between 80-90%..

You cannot use a level 2 charger.. Now charges at 3.93 KW on level 2 charges.

It is not a fix.. We need to push Chevy to really fix this..
The charger issue sounds like something else. I have queried a few people that said it went fine. I have read that the programming will reset the defaults. Have you checked the car's settings to see if they have been reset by the programming?

·
Registered
867 Posts
If these reports of diminished battery capacity from the recall update are accurate
So far as I can tell, no one has posted the all-important piece of information: after getting the recall work done, does your battery capacity drop from 14.1 kWh to something lower than that?

If your range drops, that is less interesting because the range on the guess-o-meter comes from an estimate based on the last few trips. That estimate gets reset when the system is rebooted.

So I don't think we know yet whether battery capacity is actually reduced by the recall (unless I missed someone's post).

·
Registered
175 Posts
So far as I can tell, no one has posted the all-important piece of information: after getting the recall work done, does your battery capacity drop from 14.1 kWh to something lower than that?

If your range drops, that is less interesting because the range on the guess-o-meter comes from an estimate based on the last few trips. That estimate gets reset when the system is rebooted.

So I don't think we know yet whether battery capacity is actually reduced by the recall (unless I missed someone's post).
The impression I got from posters is that the system may will be reporting the same kWh, even as the usable power appears to have dropped. The only way this could happen is if the system were fudging the numbers behind the scenes. But I agree, right now it doesn't seem to be very clear what's actually going on.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
That is your local dealer's policy. GM doesn't do "loaners". If the warranty condition allows it, they may approve a rental. "Loaners" are owned by the local dealership and are "loaned" as a courtesy, having nothing to do with GM warranty outside their local policy. If your dealer "loans" a vehicle during rental approved warranty repairs, that is their choice. They are likely recovering the rental allowance from GM.
This may depend on the dealership. I had several loaners for warranty work on our 2013 Volt. All of them were from the Enterprise rental office down the street. They had to be Chevrolet products, but all the paperwork was through Enterprise.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wonder how long my battery will last charging and emptying at the 14kW twice per day for 5 days/week ?
Knowing that there's a safety zone even when "empty" I still leave about 2 to 5 miles of range before I recharge. Sometimes by turning on the MOUNTAIN mode for about 5 miles of driving.
I was in the same boat. My 2012 had its battery replaced @ 98k after being charged by a level 2 twice per day due to a 38mile commute each way. The estimated cost for the dealer to replace was $9k but fortunately I slid under the warranty by a couple miles. The symptom was a propulsion power reduced after restarting the vehicle with no range left in the battery.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier
81 Posts
I got it done this week. No charge and so far I notice no difference.
I also had a bad switch that would indicate it was in park. There was a TSB noted on it, I’ll get the number.

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Volt Premier
41 Posts
I've noticed no ill effects on my '18 Volt Premier after having this software recall applied. In fact, when the car was delivered from California in February, the GOM was at 41 miles. I had the recall done in mid-March, and now the GOM is at 50 miles with the warmer weather.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've noticed no ill effects on my '18 Volt Premier after having this software recall applied. In fact, when the car was delivered from California in February, the GOM was at 41 miles. I had the recall done in mid-March, and now the GOM is at 50 miles with the warmer weather.
No change in behavior after the recall on my 2017 Premier at 38K miles. My dealer had actually done it when in for an oil change before I had even received the recall notice. The service manager drives a Gen 1 Volt, which helps! I had had the BECM replaced several years ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had the update and now the engine starts up as is states on the dash "due to low temperature" when the temp is only 32°. Wish I never did this update.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Had the update and now the engine starts up as is states on the dash "due to low temperature" when the temp is only 32°. Wish I never did this update.
Being in the Phoenix area, I don't know too much about ERDTT, but I've heard that after the "update" some of your settings might have been reset to default. It's possible your ERDTT setting just need to be set back to your preference??????

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2018 Volt with 29,000 miles just recently started experiencing the following intermittent issues:
  • While driving in electric mode range goes from X to 0 (but green-bar EV range scale would go to full) and gas generator takes over. AC would cut off and just fan would blow. Stopping and restarting the vehicle corrected the issue and range would go back to what I had before
  • Charge failure with "unable to charge" error message, charging light on dash would be off
  • The yellow charging issue indicator on dash would be solid on but charge would be complete
I showed my dealer service advisor photos of the above yesterday when I took it in and he was puzzled but admittedly there are not a lot of Volts in our part of the world so their experience is limited. The initial check with his diagnostic tool indicated an issue with the hybrid control module. This afternoon he called to tell me about this recall software update. He read me the recall overview that started this thread but went on say that there was more specific language deeper in his resources that appeared to address my issues. They performed the software update and my vehicle is back home on the charger apparently charging normally now. I'll update this post if I see any further issues.

My thoughts: the recall overview description isn't even close to what I was experiencing but we'll see. In a quick Google and on the My Chevy site I haven't been able to locate any of the more specific language the service advisor mentioned.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
1,036 Posts
My 2018 Volt with 29,000 miles just recently started experiencing the following intermittent issues:
  • While driving in electric mode range goes from X to 0 (but green-bar EV range scale would go to full) and gas generator takes over. AC would cut off and just fan would blow. Stopping and restarting the vehicle corrected the issue and range would go back to what I had before
  • Charge failure with "unable to charge" error message, charging light on dash would be off
  • The yellow charging issue indicator on dash would be solid on but charge would be complete
I showed my dealer service advisor photos of the above yesterday when I took it in and he was puzzled but admittedly there are not a lot of Volts in our part of the world so their experience is limited. The initial check with his diagnostic tool indicated an issue with the hybrid control module. This afternoon he called to tell me about this recall software update. He read me the recall overview that started this thread but went on say that there was more specific language deeper in his resources that appeared to address my issues. They performed the software update and my vehicle is back home on the charger apparently charging normally now. I'll update this post if I see any further issues.

My thoughts: the recall overview description isn't even close to what I was experiencing but we'll see. In a quick Google and on the My Chevy site I haven't been able to locate any of the more specific language the service advisor mentioned.
interesting
wonder if part of the update addresses 12v system

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the recall performed on 4-22. I drove the remainder of that battery, about 8 miles down to 0. I then had to drive on ICE for about 30 miles. After a FULL night charge I then drove on EV. I was happy to see i used 14.1 kWh before the Volt switched over to the ICE. hope that helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
interesting
wonder if part of the update addresses 12v system
Update:

After the initial software update the vehicle was able to get to a full charge normally but the next day the check engine light came back on along with a new-to-me error message "propulsion power is reduced" which I believe was associated with the original recall that started this thread. In this state the battery range display went to 0, the AC did not work (just the fan came on), there was no regenerative breaking (a little scary and dangerous at first as I typically drive in L mode and the vehicle took much longer to stop compared to what I was used to) and there was a noticeable lag in the vehicle moving from a dead stop when the accelerator was engaged.

We were getting into the weekend so I just drove the car as little as possible using Hold mode when I did. This past Monday I drove it to the dealership in Normal mode and it seemed fine until I got there and, while idling waiting to be checked in, the "propulsion power is reduced" error came on again along with the 0 range. I should note that the first time it came on I was idling as well while in line for a drive-through covid vaccination. I reported that to the dealer but I don't know if there's any correlation there but certainly a coincidence.

Initially they suspected I needed a new hybrid controller but the dealership called back the next day to tell me they needed to replace part of the battery pack which is where I am today. Their ETA is over a week which is very frustrating as they are unable to get me a loaner vehicle or a rental vehicle as a courtesy due to high demand.

I'll update this post as I go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this recall update done last Friday. I noticed the range driven since last charge was reset to 0. For the first 7 miles or so driving home, the range-to-go and MPGe estimates were way off, until the computer accumulated enough fresh usage info to do its calculations correctly.

After the night’s full charge-up, I drove until the battery was drained. I got full range. The range estimate the next morning after another night’s charge was 57 miles, as usual, so I haven’t seen any range loss (yet) due to the new hybrid pwrtrain control module 2 firmware.

43,600 happy miles 🙂

81 - 100 of 104 Posts