GM Volt Forum banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
From watching videos on the construction of the Volt battery. There's a cooling plate between each cell. For example, the BMW i3 has cooling channels running on the bottom of the pan and the battery packs sit on top. I think the engineering that went into the battery pack of the volt is excellent and they should last very long time.

·
Registered
236 Posts
From watching videos on the construction of the Volt battery. There's a cooling plate between each cell. For example, the BMW i3 has cooling channels running on the bottom of the pan and the battery packs sit on top. I think the engineering that went into the battery pack of the volt is excellent and they should last very long time.
I would prefer the simpler design of the i3......
all I see with the Volt cooling plate design is 100+ failure points for coolant leaks.
I think maybe Chevy even agrees as they went with the cooling plate design for the Bolt.

·
Registered
339 Posts
No change on the battery or gasoline range after the update.
My full battery range is still 48 miles and my gasoline range is still 320 miles on full.
52 miles less than the advertised number of 420. They're assuming 42MPG on 8.8 gallons of gasoline and 52 miles of electric range. I'm very happy with the G-O-M electric range but disappointed on the gasoline consumption of 37MPG.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please keep me updated of any improvements.
I've been trying to give it a bit of time and it's been difficult as the last 2 weeks we've had different driving patterns (going out of town 100 miles away 1 way) as what we normally have done on a consistent basis over the last 3 years. We've mostly had local commutes using little gas month to month staying within our Electric full charge range for each local trip. 2 days ago we had to drive 110 miles 1 way and when I ran out of electric charge it switched over to gas and the gauge said 290 at the time of the switch - 10 miles better than the previous week but still well below the 330 it used to say when I filled up. On this trip I drove a full 75 miles on gas as we went thru all the E range and the gas gauge hardly moved and finally after driving 35 miles it went down to 275 - When I stopped at our destination after driving 75 miles on gas, the gas gauge read 250 as if I only drove 40 miles. This while driving with the wife's seat heater on and climate control heater on at 72 - 74 degrees temp setting for the drive.

I'll be getting back to the airport on Weds (3-31) and will see what happens on way home with the gas gauge and inform.

Thx

·
Registered
647 Posts
So, consensus on this recall thus far is that it's just a battery balance management update and that's it?

My BIL just texted and sent a copy of the recall notice he got on the issue. If this isn't something that's going to chop range because it institutes another chop from the usable kwh portion of the battery I'll advise it's probably good to go ahead.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My range has gone from 47miles to 40 miles. But I think it has something to do with 72F one day and 22F the next day. the G-O-M probably thought the world was coming to an end.

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
So, consensus on this recall thus far is that it's just a battery balance management update and that's it?

My BIL just texted and sent a copy of the recall notice he got on the issue. If this isn't something that's going to chop range because it institutes another chop from the usable kwh portion of the battery I'll advise it's probably good to go ahead.
I would 100% recommend maintaining a balanced battery for longevity over other things. We don't drive our '16 much but it needs an oil change so that is when we will get it done (after our 2nd dose in the near future).

Volt tech:
FB Chevy Volt Owners group. March 1st, 2021 post. - Chevy Volt Owners : Is this Recall worth getting
Jaryd Carvell - Admin
Hi friendly neighborhood volt tech here! This is not a recall but rather a customer satisfaction program. The release notes for the software in our programming system says "update to increase the ability of a cell to recover from low cell voltage". It does not mention anything related to the capacity or usable range.

Brandon Geer Author
Jaryd Carvell Would this be something that would keep the overall health of the HV battery good? It seems like it might just avoid PPR situations. Thanks for the reply!

Jaryd CarvellAdmin
Most of the time when a single cell goes too low it will cause DTCs and no start. It would then usually be diagnosed as a bad cell requiring section/pack replacement. If this is reducing the likely hood of a low cell then it absolutely will help overall life and condition of the battery. If nothing else by preventing a future diagnosis of a bad cell due to low voltage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh, hey, my check engine light just came on again......
Great.
No idea why.
It was the BECM last time, 20k miles ago, so what now??
Oh, and the shift to park came back twice today......
Your shift-to-park issue cannot be fixed by replacing only the wire. You need to replace the shifter, which repaces the contactor that is bad. Then the new wire, prevents the new shifter from going bad like the first one did. I did the repair on my 2016 volt myself, because my dealer is inept, and it has been working fine for about a year. No more shift-to-park issues. Shifter+Wire=Fixed

·
Registered
4 Posts
My full battery range is still 48 miles and my gasoline range is still 320 miles on full.
52 miles less than the advertised number of 420. They're assuming 42MPG on 8.8 gallons of gasoline and 52 miles of electric range. I'm very happy with the G-O-M electric range but disappointed on the gasoline consumption of 37MPG.
To get better gas mileage, you need to get tires with a max psi of 50. Then you need to keep them inflated to between 47-50psi. With this set up and keeping my speed at about 55 mph average, my gas mileage is about 50 mpg.

·
Registered
339 Posts
To get better gas mileage, you need to get tires with a max psi of 50. Then you need to keep them inflated to between 47-50psi. With this set up and keeping my speed at about 55 mph average, my gas mileage is about 50 mpg.
I want to get good mileage but not at the sacrifice of comfort and handling. My Pirelli Strada GT2 are excellent handling tires and quiet too but also very grippy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
[/QUOTE]
To get better gas mileage, you need to get tires with a max psi of 50. Then you need to keep them inflated to between 47-50psi.
The tire pressure thing has been a mantra on the volt forum and some car comments re hyper-miling, however a lot of studies have been done with bicycle tires and pressure where every watt counts. Earlier bike thinking was very small tires with high pressures (700c x21mm and 120psi)...After lots of testing it has been demonstrated <15% deflection does not appreciably increase drag (resistance pressure curve flattens), and larger tires have less rolling resistance than smaller...(ie 700c x28mm and sub 100psi depending on load weight)
The may be a bit off topic, apologies, but I have not seen similar testing with passenger vehicle testing, except to demonstrate the flattening curve.......comfort and traction should be considered...and agree staying within the mfr recommendations,,,Just for grins the front Volt OEM 37psi tire deflection is ~4-5% range....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Absolutely not. Volt batteries have been incredibly reliable since the first Volts rolled off the line in 2011. I'm not in the slightest concerned about it, and this recall doesn't change that at all. The reprogramming is an adjustment that helps the car manage batteries as they age, not a sign that the Volt batteries are going bad in an unexpected way.
As a previous owner to a 2012 and a current owner of a 2018 this update is most definately designed to mask degredation to get you out of warranty. Around 85k my 2012 started giving me a power propulsion reduced message when the vehicle was shut down after the battery depleted and restarted without charging. They replaced the battery under warranty and the problem went away. What I believe is happening is the vehicle is programed to always give you the same usable kwh no matter the degredation. Later in life when the actual capacity begins to decline the vehicle still gives you the same usable kwh resulting in a low voltage situation when restarting the vehicle if it wasnt recharged(If this wasnt the case then why didnt my range improve when they installed the new battery?). In short, the large KWH buffer originally factored in is not enough to hide battery degredation long enough to get you out of warranty. This update will likely just add more buffer. In the end the buffer will likely extend the life of your battery only because they are delaying the error from surfacing. Also keep in mind that if you always charge the vehicle after depleting the battery you will likely never see the error even if the voltage gets below its threshold because it doesnt recognize the condition until the next restart.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Can you reply with the total used KWH when fully depleting the battery? Range isnt a great metric considering all the factors that effect it. A non updated Volt shows approx 14.1kwh. Id be curious to see if there is less usable battery after the update.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is not cool.
People should not have to scan their cells and stuff when they get a new car!

This final thing has shaken my faith in the Volt tremendously.

This is after my BECM was replaced, shift to park issue (that is still not resolved after adding wire), and passenger seat rails breaking.
In addition to the trans making a "skronk" sound anytime the gas engine engages and it slips just a teeeny it when taking off from a stop in EV mode.

....and i have babied my Volt. At 146 mpg after 46k miles so far. Only 13k miles on gas.

Just redic.
Its not the vehicles fault, simply a downfall of Lithium ion batteries in general. They have a limited number of recharge cycles. You cant get around the science regardless of who makes the batteries.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Can you reply with the total used KWH when fully depleting the battery? Range isnt a great metric considering all the factors that effect it. A non updated Volt shows approx 14.1kwh. Id be curious to see if there is less usable battery after the update.
I'm still seeing 14.3kW after 50 miles of driving. That was when the temperature was 80F

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Its not the vehicles fault, simply a downfall of Lithium ion batteries in general. They have a limited number of recharge cycles. You cant get around the science regardless of who makes the batteries.
That's not lithium ion alone either. All batteries, meaning those things that depend on a chemical change to store energy as opposed to merely accumulating a charge in a conductor, have a limited number of charges available. And what getting around it there is involves using less of the chemistry in the process, usually partial charges. If you go from full to nearly empty then back up again, lithium ion batteries are good for up to 300-500 cycles depending on chemistry, and flooded lead acid up to about 250. But partial charges count as ... partial, and if you almost never use more than about a half of a charge in the battery's preferred range, you can push that out 10x pretty easily. 2500 lead acid charges, divided by twice daily starts on average, and you're at about the 3.5 years that the cheapest lead-acid starting batteries are expected to live expressed in the metaphor of "warranty".

·
Registered
339 Posts
I wonder how long my battery will last charging and emptying at the 14kW twice per day for 5 days/week ?
Knowing that there's a safety zone even when "empty" I still leave about 2 to 5 miles of range before I recharge. Sometimes by turning on the MOUNTAIN mode for about 5 miles of driving.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This just popped up for our car yesterday on the myChevrolet app (and website). Or I should say that I just noticed it. Has anyone had this done yet? If so, have you noted any change? What is the increased warning time notification for, failing BECM or a cell balancing change?

View attachment 171969
Total mess.. reduces charging to between 80-90%..

You cannot use a level 2 charger.. Now charges at 3.93 KW on level 2 charges.

It is not a fix.. We need to push Chevy to really fix this..

61 - 80 of 104 Posts