GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just popped up for our car yesterday on the myChevrolet app (and website). Or I should say that I just noticed it. Has anyone had this done yet? If so, have you noted any change? What is the increased warning time notification for, failing BECM or a cell balancing change?

·
Super Moderator
6,364 Posts
Here is how you can do a google search on this site specifically to get similar threads with that wording. ie. if the recall/program number changes based on year or similar situation.

site:gm-volt.com Chevrolet Volt high voltage battery which "gradually lose" the ability to maintain voltage - Google Search

For example:

N172130462 Program
Program Title: Loss of Propulsion Due to Low Cell Voltage

Program Description: Certain 2012 - 2015 model year Chevrolet Volt vehicles and 2014 – 2016 model year Cadillac ELR vehicles equipped with a high voltage battery, may have a condition where it could gradually lose the ability to maintain voltage. If battery concerns are not addressed, over time the vehicle could enter a reduced propulsion mode while driving, or lose propulsion, or it may not start.

Repair Description: Dealers are to update the Hybrid Powertrain Control Module 2 (HPCM2). This software update is intended to increase the amount of warning time provided.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Word on the Facebook group is that the release notes for the software in the programming system says "update to increase the ability of a cell to recover from low cell voltage"
Sounds like I will be visiting the dealer for this one soon.

Reactions: WhatAShocker

·
Registered
16,17 volt
1,035 Posts
sounds like they will be reducing total kw available to increase warning time
Hybrid Powertrain Control Module 2 reprogram on gen1, did it not reduce useable kw's

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
My goodness there seem to be a plethora of similar recalls for updating the Hybrid Powertrain Control Module 2 (HPMC2), and now to include the Gen 2 Volt!

N202307990, issue date, Feb 04, 2021, for 2016-2018 Volts
N172130460, issue date, June 14, 2018, for 2013 Volts
N172130462, issue date March 29, 2019, for 2013-2015 Volts
N172130462, (updated October 2019 to include 2012 Volts)
N172130461, dated December 2019, for 2011 Volts

...and not to forget the procedure to correct the PPR problems arising from a simple loss of "oomph" in older Gen 1 Volts, Bulletin No. PIC6292C

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well... if it’s not an official “recall” then I’m gonna roll with it as-is. I’ll be moving onto another vehicle anyway...if they ever start actually cranking out Cybertrucks down in Austin. LOL

·
Registered
236 Posts
Or the software update make the battery last just long enough for the warranty to run out?

and which "certain Volts" have the issue?
Do they know exactly? Like a date range of manufacture?
Why not say which ones? Just random Volts? Doubt it.

·
Super Moderator
6,364 Posts
Jaryd Carvell (Admin)
Word on the Facebook group is that the release notes for the software in the programming system says "update to increase the ability of a cell to recover from low cell voltage"
Sounds like I will be visiting the dealer for this one soon.
A little info.
Hi friendly neighborhood volt tech here! No this doesn't have anything to do with the BECM. This is similar but a tad different than the cell balancing recall on Gen 1s. I believe is just a quick reprogramming due to a possible long term cell balancing issue, but it just came out so I don't have any more exact details yet.
It literally came out March 1st and was added to the service info system at the dealer today (March 2nd). Also they send the notices out in phases so we don't get overwhelmed with all of them at once.
Vehicles can be check to see if they have a recall here GM Recall Information | Chevy Recall Center | Chevrolet Recalls
or phone app (we don't have an OnStar subscription so our interface doesn't seem to have a 'check recalls' button like I've seen on others screenshots)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just checked on star ap and it is there for my car too.
Great.
This is very disheartening and upsetting.
Seems like one thing after another with my Volt......

·
Registered
236 Posts
Why not the 2019 Volt?
Was this something they knew about back then and fixed it for the 2019 model year?

Reactions: scottf200

·
Registered
2,356 Posts

FWIW: I takes me less than 15min to push updated calibrations similar to this HPCM2 cal onto my Gen1 via VCXNano + 2yr GM SPS sub as show in my example gif above;)

·
Registered
16,17 volt
1,035 Posts
wonder how far it has to get out to not be able to balance
i saw a difference of 61mv with the battery discharged before i changed my 12v battery and now its 18 mv

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can some one help me? My car front passenger door does not engage the dome lamps to turn on when I open that door. All the other 3 doors work it's just that one that doesn't work. I press the off button with the car icon with the door ajar.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So what's the latest? Has anyone gotten the update yet? Is this a mandatory recall, or will they charge me for the software update since my 17 Gen2 isn't under b2b warranty?

I'm not driving much anyways, but I'll likely wait until my next oil change to have it done - likely August.

·
Registered
865 Posts
So what's the latest? Has anyone gotten the update yet? Is this a mandatory recall, or will they charge me for the software update since my 17 Gen2 isn't under b2b warranty?

I'm not driving much anyways, but I'll likely wait until my next oil change to have it done - likely August.
Shouldn't this be covered under the Voltec warranty?

Seems to me like it's probably not too urgent.

·
Registered
236 Posts

FWIW: I takes me less than 15min to push updated calibrations similar to this HPCM2 cal onto my Gen1 via VCXNano + 2yr GM SPS sub as show in my example gif above;)
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
16,17 volt
1,035 Posts
just checked my full charge cell difference
use to be 15-20mv before i changed my 12v battery
just checked this morning 8mv, 75,000 miles on car
unless gm comes up with a better reason to do this upgrade, they are getting nowhere near my car

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can some one help me? My car front passenger door does not engage the dome lamps to turn on when I open that door. All the other 3 doors work it's just that one that doesn't work. I press the off button with the car icon with the door ajar.
This is unrelated to the topic. It needs to be posted in its own thread for better attention.

Reactions: scottf200
1 - 20 of 101 Posts