GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have owned both Gen 1 and Gen2 Volts, is there a good amount of increased leg room in the rear seats? I have a 2014, but I'm 6'3" and no one besides very small children can sit behind me. Does the new model help a lot with this issue?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
For those who have owned both Gen 1 and Gen2 Volts, is there a good amount of increased leg room in the rear seats? I have a 2014, but I'm 6'3" and no one besides very small children can sit behind me. Does the new model help a lot with this issue?

Thanks.
If my memory is correct, it is either .6 or .5 inches more, so not much.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I had a 2013 and now have a 2017. My co-workers who often ride in the back of my Volt have noticed an increase in space in my 2017 Volt.

The leg room is technically only a little bit larger (0.5"). However the back of the front seats are better shaped to fit knees and the floor pan is deeper allowing your feet to fit better under the front seats. So the packaging is smarter.

However the head room is noticeably less in the Gen II Volt. If your anticipated back seat passengers are 6' or taller the head room might be an issue. I'm 6'1" tall and my head touches the hatch glass in the back seat.

There still isn't a lot of room behind me when I'm driving. Just enough for small adults. Though behind the front passenger seat there is much more room.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had a 2013 and now have a 2017. My co-workers who often ride in the back of my Volt have noticed an increase in space in my 2017 Volt.

The leg room is technically only a little bit larger (0.5"). However the back of the front seats are better shaped to fit knees and the floor pan is deeper allowing your feet to fit better under the front seats. So the packaging is smarter.

However the head room is noticeably less in the Gen II Volt. If your anticipated back seat passengers are 6' or taller the head room might be an issue. I'm 6'1" tall and my head touches the hatch glass in the back seat.

There still isn't a lot of room behind me when I'm driving. Just enough for small adults. Though behind the front passenger seat there is much more room.
I would agree with this. Leg room is noticeably better - headroom a little worse.

·
Registered
743 Posts
There is more knee and foot room in the back of a 2016/2017 than a Gen I. It is much more than the raw dimensions would suggest.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
When I test sat in the Gen II volt, the bigger headroom issue was the beam at the front edge of the hatch glass. It's an inch or two lower, and for me it felt a bit unnatural to have to keep my head back far enough not to touch it. And I'm only 5' 6".

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts