GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know about what 12v battery is being used in the 2016 Volt and where they have located it?

The Volt 1.0 setup makes it very difficult to jump start another car's dead battery because you need to access the Volt's battery under the trunk floor and access covers.

This happened with me and it was pretty bad because of the stuff in my trunk etc. Not good during bad weather and at night....

Have they altered the 2016 Volt to allow the special 'remote' battery post terminal under the hood to provide power, instead of now only being able to accept it?

An odd question, but one that can be important when you find you need it in an emergency....

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I did get to see it, poke around and sit in the 2016 Volt at the Toronto Auto Show during the press day.

The 12V battery is still located in the same area (in the back). However I'm not sure if they have added the capability to jump another car from the front.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Does anyone know about what 12v battery is being used in the 2016 Volt and where they have located it?

The Volt 1.0 setup makes it very difficult to jump start another car's dead battery because you need to access the Volt's battery under the trunk floor and access covers.

This happened with me and it was pretty bad because of the stuff in my trunk etc. Not good during bad weather and at night....

Have they altered the 2016 Volt to allow the special 'remote' battery post terminal under the hood to provide power, instead of now only being able to accept it?

An odd question, but one that can be important when you find you need it in an emergency....
I thought the posts for jump starting was under the hood and the batttery itself in the rear is just for charging.

Think the owners manual is pretty clear on this.

John

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I thought the posts for jump starting was under the hood and the batttery itself in the rear is just for charging.

Think the owners manual is pretty clear on this.

John
The front can be used to receive a boost, but the wires/fuses may not be enough to give one.
You need to go from the rear/direct from the battery for that.
And yes, the manual is very clear on this.

·
Administrator
20,152 Posts

If another car needs an emergency jump from your Volt, take the stuff out of the cargo area and either put it on the ground or fold down the rear seats and push the stuff there for the 10 minutes it takes to jump the other car. If you are the one needing the emergency jump, then you simply open the front hood and use the remote jump terminals there, no need to access the cargo area.

I haven't needed to give another car a jump in about 5 years, so I see this as a rare event.

Side note: the cargo area in the Volt isn't so large that moving the things you keep back there can be that big a deal. If it's lot's of little things, maybe store them in tubs to facilitate moving them if you are constantly jumping other cars.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts

Since I had installed Eric's Emergency Power Wiring Kit which includes an Anderson Powerpole connection directly to 12V battery for the inverter terminating inside the cubbyhole in the rear, I just ordered a custom made cable of 120 Amp SB Series Anderson Multipole (SB120) (Gray), 4 gauge High Strand Flexible Power Wire (Length: 14 ft.), Alligator Clip 5" Large, 2-8 GA in order to make jumping another vehicle if required quick and easy!:)

BTW: I have used my Volt w/above setup to jump another co-workers car. He kind of looked at me funny when I backed in order to give him a jump but it got him back on the road!:cool:

·
Registered
452 Posts
For $79 you can buy a 400 amp jump pack and forget going into the trunk battery. That's what I did. Later RJD

·
Registered
3,942 Posts

See, I like it where it is. Its not all gross, its easy to find...No biggie.

How much junk are you carrying?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See, I like it where it is. Its not all gross, its easy to find...No biggie.

How much junk are you carrying?
Me too, its much better and it saves the battery from heat and engine vibration -- years ago my Audi 5000 had a similar setup with a remote terminal under the hood and the battery under the rear bench seat. Volvo I think does this too. But in those cars, the remote terminal could provide power as well as accept it. The Volt's will fry the electronics if you use it to jump start another car.

Alas, I gots a lot of junk in my trunk. Definitely needs a good cleaning out.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
For $79 you can buy a 400 amp jump pack and forget going into the trunk battery. That's what I did. Later RJD
I agree. I try to avoid jumping a car with another car if at all possible. One wrong move and you can fry all of the electronics, or even hurt yourself.
I saw a coworker cross the terminals when jumping someone a while back. The jumper cables started smoking, and when he tried to pull them off, he ended up with pretty sever burns on his hand.

A jump box won't allow current flow until it confirms that it has made the correct contact. Plus, if the person pulled head-in to a parking spot, you don't have to pull them out in order to jump them.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts