GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Not that I need it really since I live in Las Vegas but today we got a few rain drops and realized my windshield washers don't work anymore ...
I checked the hose, the fuses and everything seems normal.
When I pull the handle, the wipers work but I don't hear the washer pump.
Is that a common issue on the volt ?
For info, it is a 2015 volt.

Thanks for your help.

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
Empty tank? You did not say you checked the fluid level.

Reactions: 4est

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
While it could be corroded wires to the motor (unlikely in Vegas), washer fluid (the usual kind, not sure about Chevy brand) can gel in the pump if it isn't used over an extended period and clog the motor. I had that happen to my Spider when I first got it which was a Sacramento car, doesn't rain much there (a desert like Vegas). It's not likely but you never know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should I just replace the motor then ? If so, is there a tutorial to do it ? Asking because after having a look at it, it seems pretty tucked in and I'm not sure how to do it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
To replace the windshield washer pump you first need to remove the front bumper cover:

This will give you access to the washer pump. Remove the electrical connector and hose from the pump. Have something to catch washer fluid when you remove the pump. Using two flat-bladed screw drivers underneath the washer pump grommet, turn them in opposite directions to disengage the washer pump from the washer pump grommet. You will likely need a new grommet, along with the new pump.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply. I figured it out and managed to take the pump out. I ordered a new one, waiting for the part. I can't wait to install it even though I know I have to go through the whole process of removing the bumper again :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine stopped working a couple of months ago. A few days later it worried again but now it is definitely not coming back. I think these things get stuck in hot climates (AZ). Looks like I have to pull the bumper. i have tried pushing fluid back into the pump but no action.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It’s always good to cycle the pump once and a while to keep it from clogging and failing. No problems here in the PNW

1 - 9 of 9 Posts