GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,

Just bought a 2015 volt. Was delivered today, plugged it in and car reads“cord connected“, but won’t charge. Voltec charger was plugged in directly to outlet.
red light blinks 5 times over and over. The dash orange light comes on and then turns off. Won’t charge otherwise cars operates fine.
Have an appointment on Monday , but advise would be great.
thanks.
We own his and hers '13s and had the problem on both. One had the coolant level sensor for the HV battery coolant tank go bad and the other had the pigtail to the same sensor chewed by a rabbit. Both cases required a full test and reboot at the dealer for $600+ each. can't be reset with a code reader - for customer safety of course. The car thinks the coolant is low and will not allow the batteries to charge. Kinda suspect that it was delivered flat though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there

I bought a Volt 2015 at a dealer, it was ''as is'' 3 days later I had a burned head light, was easy fix, then 4 days after that I had the driver window falling down, dealer says he will take care of it, and now I have this same problem with on star and charging problem, I have this car for only 2 weeks, when you check for similar problem on youtube it all seems like easy fix, but will this fix the car or not?

Found this note in the Volt owner's manual : Charge cord connection should be checked.If connection is good, this may be due to atotal utility interruption via OnStar andcharging will begin later. SeeUtilityInterruption of Charging on page 9-52orMalfunction Indicator Lamp on page 5-16.

9-52: When electrical grid power iscompletely blocked, the vehicle willdelay charging until the utilityinterruption has expired. The vehicleshould be left plugged in so that,when the utility interruption expires,the vehicle can automatically begincharging.Changing the charge mode toImmediate or performing a delayedcharging override will not disable autility interruption.A pop-up will appear in the centerstack display during the key cyclefollowing any utility interruption. See“Charging Override/InterruptionPop-up”underProgrammableCharging on page 5-28.Text will be displayed on theinstrument cluster indicating that autility interruption has occurred. SeeInstrument Cluster on page 5-8.

5-8: The instrument cluster displays apreview of information that includeselectric range, charging, odometer,and battery status. This happensupon entry when the driver door isopened, and following the welcomeanimation, before starting thevehicle.A CHARGING OVERRIDE/INTERRUPTION OCCURREDmessage may display on the lowerleft of the screen to indicate that acharging override or interruption hasoccurred due to one or more of thefollowing events:.Override of the charge settingsby the owner using OnStar.

So that's what I'm going to do, I'm going to leave the car plugged-in even though the red light is on on the charger, and there isn't on my car (the yellow light having briefly came on then off)

I will bring further info shortly..

·
Registered
3 Posts
This means the charger has an issue. Nothing to do with OnStar.
Every charger I go to, switch to red light/malfunction, I don't want to ruin the entire circuit of the province with my malfunctioning car! So I stop trying after few attempts.

In any case this advise from GM: ''this may be due to a total utility interruption via OnStar and charging will begin later.'' it is not good, at least not for this particular problem, now I'm getting an appointment at a GM dealership and I'll let you know what comes next.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I saw no cracks, but since the car was still under warranty for Voltec components/electric , the GM dealer found a short-cut and replace the charge port for free. Woks great now, thanks for the replies.

·
Administrator
22,272 Posts
I saw no cracks, but since the car was still under warranty for Voltec components/electric , the GM dealer found a short-cut and replace the charge port for free. Woks great now, thanks for the replies.
The cracks are hairline and on the back of the charge port. Not visible unless you remove the port from the car.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts