GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just bought a 2015 volt. Was delivered today, plugged it in and car reads“cord connected“, but won’t charge. Voltec charger was plugged in directly to outlet.
red light blinks 5 times over and over. The dash orange light comes on and then turns off. Won’t charge otherwise cars operates fine.
Have an appointment on Monday , but advise would be great.
thanks.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I'm assuming that you are plugging it in with the 110V EVSE that came with the car? Might I suggest finding a level 2 charger at the mall or some such place you can try it?

Need to figure out if car or the EVSE (charger) is at fault. You have the charger plugged into a quality outlet with a good ground and no extension cord? Have you tried a different plug?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey bob,
At home it’s plugged into a 110, I went to the town hall where they have chargers and still same issue. Car won’t accept the charge. The car recognizes when the charger is placed in it however the car when I accept the charge after that.

·
Registered
2011 Premium, Nav (no camera:( )
211 Posts
what does the manual say re: red light flashing on EVSE?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can’t find anything in the manual in regards to the LED charging status. I did find this regarding the yellow light on dash it may be OnStar related?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Hmm, you'd think that they would have checked this before they delivered the car...

Some Gen 1 cars had a bad change port that would prevent them from charging, mine had that problem but I don't remember the sequence of errors other than the fact that it didn't charge.

You'll find out on Monday but that would be my guess, a bad charge port.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. Thanks. The port recognizes the charger when installed but prob something internal. Stupid question, on star service doesn’t have anything to do with charging issues?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
This thread might be of some help but if it won't charge at home or at town hall I suspect there is an issue with the car.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The car should charge regardless of the OnStar status.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
If the charger port (on car) is cracked, it won't charge. It usually cracks at the back, can't see it until you remove from car. Can be replaced by DIY. Youtube videos.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Out if curiosity, was the car charged when it was delivered or was the high voltage battery dead as it is now? Not that it matters but like I mentioned earlier, you'd have thought they would have checked that.

If it DOES end up being the change port it's not an expensive repair not that you'd be paying the bill anyway.

Please be sure to update us when you find out what the issue is if you would.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, when the vehicle was delivered today the high volt battery was completely dead, only running on the generator. I will send an update when the look at it on Monday. Thanks again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We just had a similar issue with our 2015 Volt. It suddenly stopped accepting a charge when plugged in but would charge when driven in mountain mode. Took quite a bit of detective work and help from this forum but final resolution was what I posted below. Since it would charge in mt mode it was determined that it was an issue with the 'brain' that told the battery to charge. They rebooted that in late November and we've not had any trouble with it since. Maybe this will help.

'C/S Service High voltage charging system found a bulletin #21-NA-224. Isolation test resistance was 250 kohms. Reprogrammed the HPCM2 and BECM. Cleared codes. Isolation test resistance is now 925 kohms. Car will now recharge.'

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
The 2015 owner manual says, "If the vehicle is plugged in and the CSI [the dash light] is off, a total utility interruption using OnStar or a charging fault has been detected. See Utility Interruption of Charging on page 9-51 or “Charge Cord Status Indicators” in the charge cord user guide."

I don’t know where you would locate a "charge cord user guide" (is there an instruction sheet stored in the compartment in the hatch where the EVSE is stored?), but that’s likely where you could find out the meaning of the blinking red light. As far as the OnStar reference, the manual says, "For participating customers using AC charging, this vehicle will respond to remote requests via OnStar to limit or completely block electrical power grid usage for brief time periods. A utility interruption of charging may increase AC vehicle charge times, but will not affect DC charge times. When electrical grid power is completely blocked, the vehicle will delay charging until the utility interruption has expired. The vehicle should be left plugged in so that, when the utility interruption expires, the vehicle can automatically begin charging."

I suspect you are not a "participating customer" whose charging may be shut off via OnStar when the power is about to be interrupted in the local distribution grid.

The "not able to charge" message is unclear... is it not able because of an issue in the connection between the wall plug and the car, or because of something wrong with the car?

Unfortunately, your vehicle arrived with no charge (i.e., no confirmation that it had been charged recently). You could try to charge the battery of your 2015 Volt using Mountain Mode. This can be done while parked. Just start the car and switch to Mountain Mode.

The engine should start, and the battery should be charged to the ~4 bar level in ~15 minutes using ~0.4 gallons of gas (it will shut off by itself when it reaches that point). If that works, then if you turn the car off and back on again, you should be able to drive on that battery power (but the kWh Used in the energy usage screen display on the center console will not increase because it’s not grid power).

If that works, the problem would seem to be somewhere between the wall plug and the car. Could be the EVSE is defective (doesn't explain why the public charger wouldn't work).

If MM will not charge the battery, then there is a problem that won’t let the car charge...

·
Administrator
21,485 Posts
The 2015 owner manual says, "If the vehicle is plugged in and the CSI [the dash light] is off, a total utility interruption using OnStar or a charging fault has been detected. See Utility Interruption of Charging on page 9-51 or “Charge Cord Status Indicators” in the charge cord user guide."

I don’t know where you would locate a "charge cord user guide" (is there an instruction sheet stored in the compartment in the hatch where the EVSE is stored?), but that’s likely where you could find out the meaning of the blinking red light.
The EVSE's came with an instructional hang tag zip-tied to the cord. See Voltec 120v and 240v Hang Tags

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ask your dealer to install the latest BEMS (might be the wrong term, but it means the same, the software that controls charging of your battery) software. My son's 2011 had a similar problem and would not accept a charge when plugged in but WOULD charge in Mountain Mode. The latest update was October, 2021. The dealer thought it had the latest update but they ran it again and it "took" this time. Your error message is different than his and may be a different problem, but it may solve your issue with little expense. His has had zero issues since the update. Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts