GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plugged my Volt in last night using the immediate low amperage setting. The green light came on as usual. Sometime later in the evening I got into the car, turned it on and changed the charging amperage from 8 to 12. In the morning I was surprised to see only 15 miles and the green light still on. I live on a hill so I started the car put it in L and coasted. Every indicator shows that the car is charging. The watt numbers go into the negative, the little screen animation shows the wheels sending electricity to the battery, but, no miles are gained or registered, still on 15 when I should have gained about 6 miles as I usually do going down that hill. I soon ran out of miles and drove using the gas engine. The screen estimates when the charge will be done, all the fluid levels look good, the wall charger has its green lights on. I’m going to try again tonight and hopefully this issue will fix itself, you know, like most cars do.....🤔

·
Registered
297 Posts
I plugged my Volt in last night using the immediate low amperage setting. The green light came on as usual. Sometime later in the evening I got into the car, turned it on and changed the charging amperage from 8 to 12. In the morning I was surprised to see only 15 miles and the green light still on. I live on a hill so I started the car put it in L and coasted. Every indicator shows that the car is charging. The watt numbers go into the negative, the little screen animation shows the wheels sending electricity to the battery, but, no miles are gained or registered, still on 15 when I should have gained about 6 miles as I usually do going down that hill. I soon ran out of miles and drove using the gas engine. The screen estimates when the charge will be done, all the fluid levels look good, the wall charger has its green lights on. I’m going to try again tonight and hopefully this issue will fix itself, you know, like most cars do.....🤔
First check for codes, not all errors trigger the MIL.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
SEE if MM mode will charge - get codes -- report back.

Double plug test when you next try to charge.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Keep in mind that most of your expected "6 mile gain" at the bottom of the hill probably comes from the improvement in mileage that comes from driving downhill, then applied to nearly a full charge, than from any regen obtained during the downhill drive. If you started the drive with much less than a full charge (i.e., only enough for 15 miles of range), much less of a gain in range at the bottom of the hill should be expected. And it should evaporate once you are again driving on level terrain.

Did you continue to experience the expected amount of "braking" when coasting downhill? That would indicate the regenerative braking system was still functioning. It just wasn’t adding enough regen to add miles to the range.

My 2012 Volt sets the charge level preference using buttons on the EVSE, not by making a choice on the center display screen. I’ve never tried changing the charging rate from 8 amps to 12 amps in mid-charge. Perhaps the steps you took to change the charge level led to an error that interrupted the charging.

The 2015 manual says, "The Charge Level Preference setting can be changed at any time while the center stack display is operable. For some vehicles, the Charge Level Preference must be updated prior to the vehicle being charged..." You attempted to change the charge level in "mid-charge," but perhaps you need to unplug the EVSE from the car before changing the charge level preference to 12 amps, and then plug back in and start charging again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If your car is set to charge at a later time and you used immediate charge on your center stack to override it, you cancelled immediate charge when you turned on your car to put it in 12 amp. Besides using the center stack, you can go to immediate charge by using your key fob or unplugging and plugging back your charger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts