GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2015 Volt got totaled. It got rear ended. I only owned it for 8 months and it only had 33,000 miles on it :(.

img_20180713_192927.jpg

Finding a Volt was and still is super hard in my area here in Arkansas. Looking for a replacement online and there is literally only 1 used one within 100 miles.

But it is very similar to the one I had except that it is a 2014 model. Same features as my old premium model everything. Bad thing is that they want more for it than what I paid for my 2015. The 2014 does have a little less mileage at 17000.

I have a few questions on it. I was looking at the car fax for the 2014 and it shows it sat on the lot for basically 2 years straight without being purchased. April 2014 to May 2016 How badly would this hurt the car and/or battery sitting for so long you think?

I went to test drive it this weekend. They wouldn't budge on the price whatsoever... I did notice though that the battery range seemed maybe a little lower on the guessimeter than mine... I used to see 40-42 miles on my 2015s battery when full yet this one was at like 90% and was only showing 28 miles. That worried me. Can the guessimeter be off that much? I asked about if they ran tests and things on the battery and they said they did and it came back that it was "with-in spec" what ever that means.

Also. I noticed a big difference with the backup camera with the 2014 and 2015. The guidance lines were missing. Does anyone know if that can be fixed somehow with a software update to the computer to add them back in? or is it just impossible for the 2014s to have that.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Can't help you with the backup lines - maybe someone with a 2014 will chime in. I do know that the radio guts changed manufacturers over the years so some years had lines and some did not.
The guessometer simply reflects how the car was driven in the recent history of the car, not the actual range. Can't stress this enough. Until you get some miles on the car, driving the way you drive will the number more accurately reflect the range. Just driving through a rain storm affects my number.
Too bad about your car - hope you are ok.

·
Administrator
20,354 Posts
You will lose the lines. Perhaps a 2015 radio/head limit could be swapped in, but not sure that's all you'd need to do.

Where your brake lights on when you were rear ended?

Expand your search area. You can fly out on a cheap flight, drive the car back. I bought my 2011 Volt in Long Island and drove it back 900 miles. Volt's were not sold in IL at the time.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Yeah I would run--not walk--from that 2014. Forget it if they don't want to move on price--however, I wouldn't sweat what the guess-o-meter is showing. That only reflects how it's been driven--which is (my guess)--mere "test drives" for a few miles with people flooring it, etc.

Also, some dealerships may even ship to you. Of course, sometimes that adds a premium.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have 2014, a base model, that sat on a dealer's lot for two years through hot summers of NC. They even had to jump start the dead 12V battery in order for me to take the car on the test drive. I now have 20k miles on the odo and can say that I don't see any battery degradation resulting from not being driven. I routinely get between 42 and 45 miles in 70F and above temps with A/C set on ECO, but I also am not an aggressive driver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't help you with the backup lines - maybe someone with a 2014 will chime in. I do know that the radio guts changed manufacturers over the years so some years had lines and some did not.
The guessometer simply reflects how the car was driven in the recent history of the car, not the actual range. Can't stress this enough. Until you get some miles on the car, driving the way you drive will the number more accurately reflect the range. Just driving through a rain storm affects my number.
Too bad about your car - hope you are ok.
I am guessing that the 2014 rear view camera will just have to be non-lined. I didn't realize they changed manufacturers of the radio parts I guess that is good to know.
I figured the guessometer being so low might be something like that I only really noticed it varied a little and there on mine I just don't know like how much it actually could dip.
I luckily am okay physically it just has been hard in other ways. Thank you for asking.

You will lose the lines. Perhaps a 2015 radio/head limit could be swapped in, but not sure that's all you'd need to do.

Where your brake lights on when you were rear ended?

Expand your search area. You can fly out on a cheap flight, drive the car back. I bought my 2011 Volt in Long Island and drove it back 900 miles. Volt's were not sold in IL at the time.
Yeah it is looking more and more like it is more than just a software update to add those back in.

My front car collision warning went off so I pressed on my brake pretty hard to stop and managed to come to a complete stop when I was rear-ended about 1-3 seconds later, so I think my brake lights were on? I mean I can't tell if there might have been a malfunction at the time or not. But luckily me holding the brake pedal stopped me from being pushed into the car in front of me as well.

I will try to expand my search area. It just is a little hard for me to take off work to do so.

Yeah I would run--not walk--from that 2014. Forget it if they don't want to move on price--however, I wouldn't sweat what the guess-o-meter is showing. That only reflects how it's been driven--which is (my guess)--mere "test drives" for a few miles with people flooring it, etc.

Also, some dealerships may even ship to you. Of course, sometimes that adds a premium.
Any really big reason why you are saying to run? I am just curious.

I didn't think that where people are just flooring it. That could be a big reason behind it.

I will look into dealerships that can ship. That might be the better way to go.

I have 2014, a base model, that sat on a dealer's lot for two years through hot summers of NC. They even had to jump start the dead 12V battery in order for me to take the car on the test drive. I now have 20k miles on the odo and can say that I don't see any battery degradation resulting from not being driven. I routinely get between 42 and 45 miles in 70F and above temps with A/C set on ECO, but I also am not an aggressive driver.
Oh wow. Okay, I mean that makes sense on the 12v batter maybe being dead. But that is good to hear that the Main battery is still going strong without any signs of degradation. That is pretty cool to know.

Be aware that a 2014 has a significantly smaller battery than the 2015.
Looking this up after you posted, I didn't realize this. 2014 had 16.5 kWh and the 2015 has a 17.1 kWh. So that is just something else to think about.

Thanks everyone so much for all the answers and replies! I have been just trying to figure things out. I might hold out a little to see if they start to get worried and lower the price of the 2014 but I will miss the backup lines quite a bit but I don't know if it is a 100% deal breaker for me or not and knowing the battery is smaller as well doesn't help.

I will be expanding my search. Looking more online for a better deal as well... I will keep the local 2014 in mind if I get desperate for one soon. The dealer also might deal with me on somethings if they realize that I am shopping elsewhere too.

Thanks again everyone. If anyone else has any more inputs or information please add to this post. I am still trying to decide so many things right now.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Expand your search a little. You can often get cars shipped. You already owned a 2015 so you know how it drives, etc.. so a test drive is not really necessary (of course everyone feels differently about this).

I wouldn't go for the 2014 which has slightly less range and slightly older tech in it. Seems like a lot of compromise for more money. What about used 2016's?

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
When I bought my 2013 a few months back the GoM said 47 Km. It now reads 66 to 68 Km. Attribute it to foot stomping test drives. One Chevy dealer that just got in a 2013 trade in were listing it for $20,900 Cdn. (the current price for that model in the area). I offered $16,000 but they'd only go down to $18,000. The Honda dealer had a 2013 for $20,900 Cdn. but had been on the lot for over three months. I offered $16,000 and they eventually came down to my price after several counter offers. It depends on how long the car sat on the dealers lot. The longer it is the more "motivated" they are to sell. Also a Honda dealer is more likely to want to get rid of it because they can't "service" it as much as a Chevy dealer can whereas the Chevy dealer has more interest in keeping the price as high as possible as it reflects on his other Volts he is trying to sell.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
On my 2015, the backup camera guidance lines can be turned on or off in the Config menu I believe.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
It is 1kWh bigger. I get 5 miles per kWh pretty consistently, so it is more like 5 miles further range, which is significant.
Several sources I checked says it's 0.6 kWh difference. Not 1 kWh. Perhaps the operational window is also different. I haven't researched that yet.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
You already owned a 2015 so you know how it drives, etc.. so a test drive is not really necessary (of course everyone feels differently about this).
I certainly don't agree on this point for one reason. A test drive is going to tell you how the suspension and perhaps even alignment are. Not to mention any creaks, squeaks and rattles. Unfortunately not all of our cars wear at the same rate and to buy a car without even so much as a test drive can end up with buying something that needs expensive suspension repairs.

To add to the conversation however, I would look at anything that suits you. If the battery range of the 2015 was more than enough for you to operate EV most or all the time then a later 2014 build would suffice since they did start to put the larger 2015 battery in them so your range should be the same. You may still not get the grid lines in the backup camera though. I personally don't care for the grid lines as they are an overlay and may obscure or detract your eyes from seeing a hazard. I also mainly use my cam to be able to see on either side of me when backing out of a parking spot where I can't completely see any oncoming vehicles that may be blocked by the trucks that always seem to park on either side of me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My 2014 does not have the guidance lines. Not having them is not a problem. I think that for that year, it only came with guidance lines if you got the navigation package. Apparently, it was some silly licensing issue.

Before buying that car, I would want to take it on a long (40+ miles) test drive after a full charge just to make sure that battery is healthy.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just had my 5 month old 2018 totaled. I now find myself shopping for another new car. Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My 2014 does not have the guidance lines. Not having them is not a problem. I think that for that year, it only came with guidance lines if you got the navigation package. Apparently, it was some silly licensing issue.

Before buying that car, I would want to take it on a long (40+ miles) test drive after a full charge just to make sure that battery is healthy.
NO 2014 had the guidance lines. There was some stupid law that took them away and was later rescinded. Run the battery from full charge to empty and make sure you get about 10.5 kwhs.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
That's not the way the Volt works. It reserves a fixed 6kWh for CS mode, so it's actually 5.4% since the additional head room all goes to EV range.
Citation Needed.

You're basing an awful lot of argument on "fixed 6kWh", and I don't believe it even can measure what's left in those units, much less do so accurately enough to call it fixed. All it can accurately do is measure voltage, and vaguely meter what comes out or goes in. And the voltage is where things like "potential damage to battery pack" can be estimated from.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts