GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys looking at finally getting a volt. Few questions should I get the extended warranty from the dealer and do any of the gen 1's come with a heated steering wheel. Also what is the electric range in the summer months. Thanks

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Extended warranty seems to be personal preference. For the most part the majority pass on any extended warranty due to the lengthy factory warranties. Mine came with a GMPP when I purchased privately and had to pay a $50 transfer fee and it actually paid off on a window regulator replacement 3 weeks after I bought which was nice. Aside from that, it's only given peace of mind.

As for steering wheel heat, that was never available in the Gen1. Electric range seems to vary depending on how heavy your climate control usage is. We've been having quite a heat spell here in Central CA and I've had my a/c pumping out at 75, comfort and seeing range in the 35 mile range. In cooler, less "hell like" weather, I managed mid 40's on the GOM. Of course my driving pattern likely isn't the best for maximizing range, but I don't try to drive like Jeff Gordon either.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Do VIN research

Last month I bought a 2015 Volt LT with 18.4k miles on it for $15k plus TT&L from a Ford dealer in Renton, WA. It needed the front tires replaced, but was otherwise in like-new condition. I did not buy an extended warranty. I did put the car's VIN number into research.com before the purchase to check on its pre-history and maintenance record. That I strongly recommend.

My range in Seattle, where the temperature has been on the 70s this month, is roughly 40 miles.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Extended warranties, in general, get about 12% in claims, so they make 88% profit. So the odds are with you if you take the money you would have spent on an extended warranty, stuck that into a bank account an used that for future repairs (probably while adding a little as you go as you know you will need oil changed, new tires, etc.). So I wouldn't buy one unless you are one of the unlucky ones who seems to attract vehicular lemons and you are almost certain to need that warranty (some people just have bad karma with car repairs). I actually paid for some extended warranties for some laser printers I've recently purchased figuring that $5-15 might be a good buy given I seem to go through inkjeta like crazy, had 2 replaced under warranty and seem to need to replace them with new ones right after the warranty expires. But I never pay for extended warranties for cars, computers, and most electronics. I figure it's better to put that money into a general emergency fund and use it when something breaks.

That said, if my volt blows an engine, it's a great excuse to go car shopping again

·
Registered
433 Posts
The powertrain warranty is 5yr/100k miles and the Voltec (hybrid/electrical components) is 8yr/100k miles. Personally, I felt secure enough in that, to not buy any extended warranties. Gen 1's have been extremely reliable. If you look in the forums, Gen 2's seem to have their fair share of error codes for a variety of reasons, but I have a Gen 2 with 25k miles and knock on wood haven't had a single hiccup. In the end, you have to decide how much your peace of mind is worth.

You have to get a gen 2 (2016, 17, 18) to get the heated steering wheel. I don't know what your budget is, but the gen 2 LT trim can get the heated steering wheel and seats, but you have to find one with the comfort package. The gen 2 premier trim comes standard with them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input . The heated steering wheel would be a nice touch though for the Canadian winters. I definitely prefer the look of the Gen 1 and the price is in my sweet spot $23000 Cdn for a fully loaded 2015. Keeping my fingers crossed please no vehicular lemon . My 2008 mini clubman could support a lemonade stand. Hence the reason i am eyeing the extended warranty.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Our '14 gets as high as 51 in late spring and early fall. Mid-summer it drops a couple of miles. We do very little tollway driving which would drop the range.
My 2014 is consistently getting 47 - 48 since May of this year. Still have to see in winter :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
The heated steering wheel would be a nice touch though for the Canadian winters.
All Volts are set up to remotely start and run the HVAC from the key fob before you even go outside, so the Volt interior can be made comfy before you enter. I would think that this would be much nicer than just a heated steering wheel.

·
Registered
91 Posts
All Volts are set up to remotely start and run the HVAC from the key fob before you even go outside, so the Volt interior can be made comfy before you enter. I would think that this would be much nicer than just a heated steering wheel.
+1
Exactly, a warm interior will also warm the steering wheel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay sold on the pre conditioning of the cabin. Only worry is the extended warranty. Have not got a quote yet but i am guessing its around 2000 to 3000 bucks.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Okay sold on the pre conditioning of the cabin. Only worry is the extended warranty. Have not got a quote yet but i am guessing its around 2000 to 3000 bucks.
Put that $2-3k in the bank and don't touch it unless the car needs repairs. chances are that money will still be there when you upgrade cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts