GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a 2015 Volt base model... in bay area CA. I have come across dealer website advts/ 'specials' that show $8500 total discount from MSRP, but wondering if dealers are more aggressive on discounts given 2016 models are coming soon... any advise? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Given how weasely some dealers are, I would want to confirm that the $8500 is not counting the $7500 federal tax credit. If it is not counting the tax credit you would $34.3k - $8.5k - $7.5k = $18.3k net which is pretty darned good. I have seen people claim this number in the past so it is possible that it is accurate. I doubt many dealers would match it.

On edit:
dsutton, he asked about a 2015MY base Volt.

http://www.cars.com/chevrolet/volt/2015/snapshot

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Holy cr**! That is a good deal. Even for a loaded Volt that is good. Was it one of the "sleeper" 2015 Volts? It would be nice to have those extra 2 miles of AER.

Just got one 2-months ago in the Bay area with 10K off MSRP.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Holy cr**! That is a good deal. Even for a loaded Volt that is good. Was it one of the "sleeper" 2015 Volts? It would be nice to have those extra 2 miles of AER.
If you are looking for the base model there are tons of those in the bay area. I think you can get close to 9k off MSRP if you find the one on bonus tag cash promo. Try Fremont Chevy or Dublin Chevy both have 200+ Volts each in inventory and half of them being base or perhaps with safety 1 only. Key is to find one with bonus tag cash back

Here is how it should work:
Bonus tag $2000
GM Rebate $1000
Consumer Cash $1500
Dealer mark down $4000
Total savings $8500.

Keep in mind no 0% financing with this.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Thanks for the detailed response! I have my 2013MY Volt leased until June of next year, so I am not in the market this year. I really have no idea of what I am going to buy or lease next year. I need a bigger car than the Volt (back seat especially) so I am kind of at a loss for a car that plugs in and has at least 25 miles of AER. My Voltstats histogram will give you an idea why I want 25 miles of AER. But beggars can't be choosers. And I am not going to pay more than $40k for my next car. I have gotten to the point where I am thinking about buying a low miles 2012 or 2013MY Volt and a used mid-sized ICE car for the days I have 2 or 3 people in the car with me.

http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/3381

If you are looking for the base model there are tons of those in the bay area. I think you can get close to 9k off MSRP if you find the one on bonus tag cash promo. Try Fremont Chevy or Dublin Chevy both have 200+ Volts each in inventory and half of them being base or perhaps with safety 1 only. Key is to find one with bonus tag cash back

Bonus tag $2000
GM Rebate $1000
Consumer Cash $1500
Dealer mark down $4000
Total savings $8500.

Keep in mind no 0% financing with this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yap.. it is 2015 volt with safety-1 option. Got it when GM was offering 15% off MSRP + Dealer discount which total 10K off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, I'm still gathering quotes and dealers are getting close to $8.5k off MSRP, but not further (yet). Has anyone heard about Chevy's July incentives or July 4 sale yet? (I keep getting spam on Toyota July 4 event but nothing so far on Chevy..)

@Decaview- You got an amazing deal! Would you mind sharing the dealer/contact info? It's almost July and I'm hoping to repeat your deal (although GM's 15% off is better than their current $4.5k rebate)

@Kamabazi- Thanks for specific guidance on dealers/inventory. I did email Fremont chevy, they sent offer with good discount, but not great. Yet to hear from Dublin chevy. Will follow up tomorrow and update.

Yap.. it is 2015 volt with safety-1 option. Got it when GM was offering 15% off MSRP + Dealer discount which total 10K off.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Capitol Chevy has almost 250 Volts. As of now, they have put up 3 base models with $8500 off MSRP.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's surprises me almost every dealer is coming down to ~8500 discount, no matter if Chevy bonus tag is there or not (they are adjusting dealer discount to make the total stay at 8500).... Whoever goes beyond this is going to get my business. Yet to walk into a dealership... keeping fingers crossed!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Looks like Fremont Chevy and Capitol Chevy have decent lease deals in addition to those discounts, at least through tomorrow. Added them to the list of dealers that I'm tracking on a weekly basis:

http://ev-vin.blogspot.com/2014/04/current-36-month-lease-offers-for.html

Dublin also has a lease deal, but it's ~$1K more expensive than the others over the 39-month lease term.

Thanks for the tip, tincan and kamabazi!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: finally! I bought a red 2015 volt with safety pkg1 and leather from Momentum Chevy at San Jose. I didn't need the extras, but got it on a decent deal, thanks to the bonus cash and rebate and discounts. Got done with <2 hrs in and out at the dealership. Happy with the car so far - my first one from GM :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Update: finally! I bought a red 2015 volt with safety pkg1 and leather from Momentum Chevy at San Jose. I didn't need the extras, but got it on a decent deal, thanks to the bonus cash and rebate and discounts. Got done with <2 hrs in and out at the dealership. Happy with the car so far - my first one from GM :)
Did you deal with Paul? Did you buy or lease?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Could you point to which dealer web site is advertising $8500 off MSRP ? The dealers in the south bay seem to only be advertising about $2500 off MSRP .

·
Registered
101 Posts
Could you point to which dealer web site is advertising $8500 off MSRP ? The dealers in the south bay seem to only be advertising about $2500 off MSRP .
No one is advertising it you have to negotiate and the best they will be able to do is $8500 on some Volts that have a special bonus tag sale.

Bonus tag $2000
GM Rebate $1000
Consumer Cash $1500
Dealer mark down $4000
Total savings $8500.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanks. I really hate this whole negotiating thing - that's not a way to spend a holiday weekend.

How do I find out which Volts have this "special bonus tag" sale and which don't ?

Looks like Dublin Chevrolet does advertise $9000 off MSRP on some Volts at
http://www.dublinchevrolet.com/VehicleSearchResults?make=Chevrolet&model=Volt

Seems this does not apply to any of their Crystal Red, Silver ice or Silver topaz inventory.

Maybe I will just hold on to my Leaf a little longer and wait for a deal on the 2016 and get the color I really want - the Kinetic Blue . I still have 7 months on my Leaf lease.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I dealt with Peter at Momentum (internet sales) - he's great to work with, takes a no-nonsense approach and is transparent on what's doable and what's not. I mostly exchanged info via texts and a couple of phone calls before walking into the dealership. I did buy and not lease, after considering $ pros and cons and my risk tolerance.

My specific unit: 2015 Volt, Red with dark gray/black interior, Safety Pkg1 and Leather. Love the ride/handling and the 0-45 mph zoom on electric. Liking it so far except for the super long 14 hours of trickle charging. I'd soon get a 240v EVSE installed I think.

Did you deal with Paul? Did you buy or lease?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd agree Bonus tag is hard to find on popular colors -- I had a bit of hard time finding a 2015 Red (my kids' choice) that carries bonus tag -- as of 6/28 I saw <5 on Chevy inventory search. That said, I wouldn't give up. I bet dealers are willing to give you a break if you narrow down your specific unit and push for comparable pricing, even if that unit does not carry bonus tag. Aiming for 10k+ discount on a 2015 (total discount before govt rebate) is a good idea, and I'd think you'd get close if you start pushing dealers to give you their best quote. At Dublin Chevy, Babak from Internet sales did come close to offering 8.5k break when I checked on 6/27, but I guess now they are openly advertising 9k discount. Fremont chevy also offered 8.6k break when I was gathering quotes. I was more comfortable going with Momentum Chevy (San Jose) for two reasons: internet sales/Peter was great to deal with, and pricing was better than other places. As far as SoCal goes, two places that had advertised 8.5k or 9k in late June were Rydell and Bunnin (and probably Keyes)- I did not pursue since I was getting close to that discounts in Bay area itself. Hope this helps. If I were you I'd start with email price quote, either via Chevy website or via True car, and then follow through with push via email and couple of phone calls to receive truly best offer quotes. Best of luck to you!

Thanks. I really hate this whole negotiating thing - that's not a way to spend a holiday weekend.

How do I find out which Volts have this "special bonus tag" sale and which don't ?

Looks like Dublin Chevrolet does advertise $9000 off MSRP on some Volts at
http://www.dublinchevrolet.com/VehicleSearchResults?make=Chevrolet&model=Volt

Seems this does not apply to any of their Crystal Red, Silver ice or Silver topaz inventory.

Maybe I will just hold on to my Leaf a little longer and wait for a deal on the 2016 and get the color I really want - the Kinetic Blue . I still have 7 months on my Leaf lease.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts