GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was getting frustrated with the UI on my 2015 Volt (no camera or Nav.) I plan on adding a camera, and maybe a small subwoofer..but overall leave the interface alone. I've toyed with the idea of buying the nav radio and retrofitting it, but, why?

Instead...I was considering if it were possible to download the OS (QNX auto btw.)

We're legally allowed to backup the software on it according to the T&C.

I'm wondering if anyone has had luck with this. I'd like to scan find all of the images on the OS and update them with some more modern looks (just opening them in Photoshop and re-saving them with new icons.) Update the background, etc. I feel like this should be possible..but worried that it's encrypted at the root level that these files may be located.

·
Registered
2013 Volt Premium
4 Posts
I know this is a very old post but I've been thinking a lot about the feasibility of this recently, off the top of my head some of the graphics we see on the screen may be rendered in real time and not easily swappable or in an unconventional file format. Would have to get a full copy of the OS to find out I suppose, I'll do some more looking (unless you have any updates)

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I have seen pictures on the FB Volt Modding forum of a Volt in Eastern Europe that has been updated with the ELR firmware for both the DIC and touch screen. He had some bugs to work out with some error codes, but it looks really nice.

Edit: It looks like a Frankenstein hardware swap, not just a firmware swap:

·
Registered
2013 Volt Premium
4 Posts
Wow, I just joined the group a few weeks ago and totally missed that post. Its kind of encouraging that this was even possible but yeah you're right, this looks like a total hardware swap and much less to do with the software. I did some more research and have found that there is / was a project to 'unlock' MyLink but the volt appears to be running a totally different version of MyLink that shares the same production years. However, that Unlock MyLink project allows you to change startup/boot animations and a few other graphics so I think if we were to get our hands on the Volt QNX OS the graphics COULD be updated/ changed. Might be making a post on the Facebook Group sooner than later.

I have seen pictures on the FB Volt Modding forum of a Volt in Eastern Europe that has been updated with the ELR firmware for both the DIC and touch screen. He had some bugs to work out with some error codes, but it looks really nice.

Edit: It looks like a Frankenstein hardware swap, not just a firmware swap:

View attachment 172181

1 - 4 of 4 Posts