GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Volt
I have taken it to two mechanics and they can’t fix it, every time I come to a stop (or stop accelerating) it sounds like a loud belt slipping. it coincides with the engine (or generator) slowing down and turning off but it’s definitely not the brakes. Has anyone had this problem fixed yet? Thank you for reading.

· Registered
2015 Red Volt
2,291 Posts
There’s only one belt on the ICE, and that’s on the water pump. I assume there is no squealing in EV mode?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2015 Volt
I have taken it to two mechanics and they can’t fix it, every time I come to a stop (or stop accelerating) it sounds like a loud belt slipping. it coincides with the engine (or generator) slowing down and turning off but it’s definitely not the brakes. Has anyone had this problem fixed yet? Thank you for reading.
There’s only one belt on the ICE, and that’s on the water pump. I assume there is no squealing in EV mode?
Correct, if it’s running on battery only it doesn’t make the sound. It only happens when the gas motor is shutting down

· Registered
2015 Red Volt
2,291 Posts
Ask your trusty mechanic to replace the belt. Have him make sure the water pump turns freely.

· Administrator
23,396 Posts
I assume you have ruled out the brake pads?

· Registered
352 Posts
...every time I come to a stop (or stop accelerating) it sounds like a loud belt slipping. it coincides with the engine (or generator) slowing down and turning off but it’s definitely not the brakes. Has anyone had this problem fixed yet?
Is your sound a new one that did not exist before? If the issue were the belt, or the belt driven water pump, it would not be apparent only at ICE shut-down.
I have had the same sound, under the same circumstances, since May 2018 when I bought my used 2014, but I hadn't considered it a "problem" that requires to be "fixed". In that time I've gone 6,800 miles on gasoline (and 29,400 on battery). No wear, no bearing issue, no breaking of the belt, no burning rubber smell. I've been content to just accept the sound as a quirk of the car.

· Registered
922 Posts
Is this the notorious and much discussed ”Skill saw winding down” noise? It’s created by a failed bearing in the outside of the drive motor case. Very common, most early Volts had it repaired. Maybe make a video in a quiet place so we can hear it.

· Administrator
23,396 Posts
Is this the notorious and much discussed ”Skill saw winding down” noise? It’s created by a failed bearing in the outside of the drive motor case. Very common, most early Volts had it repaired. Maybe make a video in a quiet place so we can hear it.
Does it sound like a loud table saw winding down?

A few early Volts had the issue, not most.

Listen at about 0:13, 0:30, 0:43

· Registered
2 Posts
2015 Volt
have a 2015 CHEVY VOLT with the same problem, I took it to the dealer and is the PCV valve is right in the valve cover.
Creates a vacuum lick and that is the noise I was lucky that my volt with 85000 miles was still under guarantee otherwise the cost to fix the problem by the dealer is about $600 or if you do it yourself is about @120
good luck!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts