GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I intend to have a 240 volt cable run to an exterior charging station. Is there an ideal amp draw that I should select for the charging station?
Thanks

·
Administrator
21,126 Posts
Is there an ideal amp draw that I should select for the charging station?
Thanks
The car controls the draw. That said, the charge station may be able to supply more than the car can draw, which is not a problem. It's called future proofing for the next EV you get. A charge station that's 20A, 30A, 40A, 50A even 60A or 70A will all work. Again, the car controls how much it will actually use. So, 20A is fine for a Spark. But install a larger capacity if possible, your next EV will likely be able to take more than the Spark.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car controls the draw. That said, the charge station may be able to supply more than the car can draw, which is not a problem. It's called future proofing for the next EV you get. A charge station that's 20A, 30A, 40A, 50A even 60A or 70A will all work. Again, the car controls how much it will actually use. So, 20A is fine for a Spark. But install a larger capacity if possible, your next EV will likely be able to take more than the Spark.
Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I intend to have a 240 volt cable run to an exterior charging station. Is there an ideal amp draw that I should select for the charging station?
Thanks
Like others in the forum, I 're-assigned' the 220 dryer circuit for a new outlet in the garage. The main panel is in the garage, and the house was wired for an electric dryer, but has a gas dryer.

I disconnected the 30amp wiring, labeled it, and set it aside. I then added the 30amp outlet below and in the same stud bay as the mains. Took about an hour and cost $4 for the outlet and cover, since I already had the 10ga romex sitting around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts