GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok...I was able to get it to work. I uninstalled techline connect and java and everything related to the GM side and reinstalled with the VCX Nano software open. It was able to see the pass thru device.

BTW the VCX software installed 3 trojan viruses on my computer. It kinda ticks me off.
Hey RentonVolt, Techline Connect requirements say you need windows 10 Pro...What operating system did you use when you got it to work? Did the new Techline Connect SPS2 see your connection device as VXDIAG or as an MDI? I have gotten mine close to working or at least it seemed like it
Computer Product Rectangle Font Screenshot

It seems like no matter what I try I get:
Blue Product Azure Font Operating system

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was having the same issue don't know if it was coincidence but I tried leaving the VCX unplugged from OBD port and entered the vin manually then when the Techline tried to connect to the car I plugged the VCX into the OBD port and it connected and worked fine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got it to work using VCX Manager 1.8.4.0315 Version by following RentonVolt's instructions of deleting all GM associated stuff and then running that VCX manager with updates already done while installing Techline connect. Worked on both Windows 8.1 as well as Windows 10 Home.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got it to work using VCX Manager 1.8.4.0315 Version by following RentonVolt's instructions of deleting all GM associated stuff and then running that VCX manager with updates already done while installing Techline connect. Worked on both Windows 8.1 as well as Windows 10 Home.
Aww man, sorry for the late reply. You're all good now? I should have made a video or something because I'm having trouble remembering what I did. Plus I was so mad at the software installing trojans in my PC that I returned the VCX.

I'm still not tech savy enough to know how to set up a virtual machine to use these kind of sketchy programs. I guess maybe I need to buy a sacrificial laptop or something. I'm also so upset about this I wouldn't mind making an electronics kit with a raspberry pi and getting my engineer friends to help getting software going on it so people could do this with open source or legit software with US based support.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Did this get resolved for you? It's my current hang-up. Old version of GDS2 won't read the vin now, so something is amiss.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, it was a struggle but I finally got it. Assuming your using a virtual machine or sacrificial PC to deal with the viruses that the VCX nano installs on your machine (I did not do so and majorly regret it). You need to have GDS2 going, then run the vcx nano software and update the drivers for GM products. Leave the VCX nano software open and go into GDS2 and it should pop up as a pass thru device and be able to communicate with your vehicle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did this get resolved for you? It's my current hang-up. Old version of GDS2 won't read the vin now, so something is amiss.
I don't think you will be able to use the old version of GDS2. You have to use the new one that runs in a web browser.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Great - thanks for the information. Did you get hacked by the VCX software. I’m running it on a machine that has a few accounts (Amazon et c) but no banks or financial into.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Ryan,

I don't think I got hacked by it. It seems windowsdefender scooped the trojans up and quarantined them, at least that's what I hope happened.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Ryan,

I don't think I got hacked by it. It seems windowsdefender scooped the trojans up and quarantined them, at least that's what I hope happened.
You're telling me you had to purchase the techline connect subscription for 3864 to get it to work? The basic two year single vin subscription didn't?

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's a negative. I bought the $40 subscription (SPS2 for one VIN)
Yeah, it was a struggle but I finally got it. Assuming your using a virtual machine or sacrificial PC to deal with the viruses that the VCX nano installs on your machine (I did not do so and majorly regret it). You need to have GDS2 going, then run the vcx nano software and update the drivers for GM products. Leave the VCX nano software open and go into GDS2 and it should pop up as a pass thru device and be able to communicate with your vehicle.
Were you able to then use the tech2connect software? GDS2 is different than tech2connect, and tech2connect keeps crashing for me as well as a couple others

21 - 35 of 35 Posts