GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. I noticed this reddish fluid leaking from the 2015 Volt. It feels a little oily. It looks like the Dex-Cool is drained in the left reservoir.

2. The dashboard is displaying - Service High Voltage Charging System.

I assume these two issues are related. Correct?

Can I drive it about 10 miles to the dealer?

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Volt 'Premier'
10 Posts
High Voltage batteries that overheat with no coolant could be a melting/fire concern, I would not recommend driving it without coolant. If if will run in hold mode without using the battery maybe? It would be a lot safer to have it towed, see if you can get AAA or something to do it cheap

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 90k+ Miles
831 Posts
Yes, that's the cause of message. No, it should be towed.

·
Registered
628 Posts
How severe is the leak? A slow drip you can live with if it’s only a 15-20 minute drive, assuming you top the fluid up. Are you able to trace the origin of the leak? Where is the fluid puddle under the car? Under the engine and drive train or more towards the HV pack?

Once that message is set you won’t be able to Charge via the wall plug. However, the HV pack can be partially charged back up via Mountain mode to it’s limit with the Engine. Then it effectively goes into sustaining hold mode.

·
Administrator
21,218 Posts
Yes, how long does it take the tank to empty is the question. 2 days? I'd drive it to the local dealer. 2 minutes? Tow.

Reactions: obermd and saltsman

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How severe is the leak? A slow drip you can live with if it’s only a 15-20 minute drive, assuming you top the fluid up. Are you able to trace the origin of the leak? Where is the fluid puddle under the car? Under the engine and drive train or more towards the HV pack?

Once that message is set you won’t be able to Charge via the wall plug. However, the HV pack can be partially charged back up via Mountain mode to it’s limit with the Engine. Then it effectively goes into sustaining hold mode.

It was a slow drip. It started sometime around 7 pm when it was parked on the driveway. (Or earlier when it was on the road.) I came home at 11 pm and plugged the Volt in to charge and noticed the Service High Voltage Charging System message. It was dark so I did not notice the leak. In the morning, I put the plastic container under the hood - near the front bumper area. It captured about a cup of the Dex-Cool. When I popped the hood, the left reservoir was empty.

I had a tow available on AAA, so I got it towed to the dealer.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I put the plastic container under the hood - near the front bumper area. It captured about a cup of the Dex-Cool. When I popped the hood, the left reservoir was empty.
It is worth the effort to determine where the leak is. It could be only a hose from the reservoir. Check around with a flashlight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts