GM Volt Forum banner

2015 Premier with 20K miles for $18k or 2016 LT with 12k miles for $22k- Which One?

4K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Ruleof72 
#1 ·
I originally started searching for new 2017 Volt LT to replace my 2011 TDI that VW is buying back. My plan is to spend about the same or less on the car to replace it. My buyback amount is $21.5 Right now it looks like a new LT just won't be in that range even with the $7,500 tax credit is taken into consideration. It looks like the best I can hope for right now is about $26-$27K. So, I started looking at lightly used 2016's as well as a few 2014-2015's. I found a local 2015 Premier for just over $18k. It has 17,000 miles on it and seems to be in great shape. I also found a used 2016 LT with 12,000 miles on it and I've got a $22,000 offer on the table. Once tax,tag, etc. is considered the 2015 will be right at $20,000 while the 2016 will be about $24,000, a little over my budget but still doable.

At this point I'm wondering if the first year Gen 2 base model is really worth the extra $$'s compared to the fully loaded last year Gen 2. I know the range is greater in Gen 2 but my typical commute really doesn't get impacted by that. Also, it's almost entirely me driving it by myself (95%) and the rest is with my wife in the car. We have no kids and rarely cart people around in the car. I drive about 9,000 miles/year with about 80% of that around town within the all electric range of either car.

Could any of you that have had both Gen 1 and 2 give me a little insight? Is there something about Gen 2 that is so much better that it might be worth the extra money. My plan is to keep this car for 5-7 years at a minimum. I'll be paying cash.

Any sage advice would be great!

See less See more
#4 ·
But if you have NOT owned both the Gen 1 is still a great car.

If the buyback and other figures are correct, the question becomes "Would you rather have:"

- 2015 Premier for free PLUS $1500 in your wallet,
or
- 2016 LT and have to pay $2500 ?

#8 ·
+1 Yadda Yadda Yadda (otherwise message too short)

#5 ·
We had a 2014 Volt and 4 months ago traded it in for a new 2016 Volt LTZ. The 2016 Volt is better in all respects. More range, power, comfort, seating for 5, small child / person in the rear middle, and mpg's on good ole regular gas that will probably be as good if not better than your TDI mpg's with diesel fuel, which is usually more expensive than 87 octane. Our 2016 is averaging 45+ mpg just running on the gas engine. Range on electric is 50+ miles now with late fall weather, and over 60 miles in summer.

Look around you will find a deal. GM may even offer a 20% off MSRP on new Volts, thats when we purchased ours, over $11,000 off MSRP when dealer kicked in another $3,000, with $7,500 tax credit, less than $22,000, same price or even less than a similar equipped Civic or Corolla. Personally I would not settle for a Gen 1 Volt, when for a little more you can get a Gen 2, and with a new never registered Gen 2 Volt the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit applies as well.

#7 ·
I will offer the same advice I have given and received over the decades as a Corvette enthausist. Buy the newest one you can afford.

#9 ·
We had a 2014 and now have a 2017. We bought the gen2 only because our lease was coming to an end with the gen1. Had we bought the 2014 instead of leased, we would have happily kept it another five years or more. However, the gen1 range happen to fit our driving patterns well.

#12 ·
Thank you all for the feedback. I'm leaning towards the 2016 since it is the newer car with better range/power, etc. I do like the dash layout better than the Gen 1. The one thing I do like about the 2015 is that its got all the "toys" where the 2016 is a base LT with comfort group. Though if I really look at it, my TDI is comparable in features to the 2016 (no leather, nav, base sound system, etc.) so when it comes down to it I probably would be perfectly happy with the LT.

Still some thinking to do but right now I'm leaning toward the 2016. I'll let everyone know what I end up with, whatever it is.

#14 ·
I was including the 7500 in that 26-27k number. That was based on buying an LT at about 30-31k adding tax/title and taking the 7500 off of that. It looks like I would need to get a new LT (with comfort package) for about $29,000 (about 15% off MSRP) in order to get the final number to $24k or so after the tax credit.

#15 ·
Do you get the $7500 rebate on that 2016? Surely it is used with 12K miles. p.s. leather i a must have for me on these cars...really upscales the interior by a healthy margin.

#16 · (Edited)
If the Gen 1 AER is right for your commute, get it ! The Gen 1 has been proven to be a great car without many problems. In fact GM over-engineered the Volt Gen 1 because it had to be flawless due to the political attention. The fact that it is a 2015 is even better, because all the quirks were solved in the first 2 years (2012-2013). I cannot say the same about the Gen 2, based on what the owners post here. Besides these, the Gen 2 is more mainstream while the Gen 1 stands out as something different. In a Gen 1 you can sit a 6"-er in the back comfortably, not so much in a Gen 2.

#18 ·
In a Gen 1 you can sit a 6"-er in the back comfortably, not so much in a Gen 2.
I'll bet I could fit hundreds of '6"-ers' in the back seat of our Gen 2! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.