GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to pop the trunk from the drivers seat and without the remote? I can't find any button or latch and no reference to this in the owner's manual. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
188 Posts
No, there is no button or latch up front...but the trunk is unlocked whenever the car is, and can be opened with the latch under the rear window without needing the remote. I don't know if this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I backed up for a delivery that was to be put in the trunk and then was looking around for a latch that I could not find. Appreciate the verification.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Get a dose of gamma rays, then wait until you become Mr. Fantastic (like Richard Reed). Just stretch your arm around the outside of the Volt toward the back and open the latch!:p

Kidding aside, my 1995 Buick Regal has a yellow button inside the glove box to open the latch from inside. So my older GM vehicle has one better than a new Volt!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Kidding aside, my 1995 Buick Regal has a yellow button inside the glove box to open the latch from inside. So my older GM vehicle has one better than a new Volt!
It's because the hatch doesn't 'pop' up like a trunk does. Far too heavy. As you need a hand there anyway to lift it up, makes sense to have the release button there as well. Now, if it had power lift....

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
No interior button, but it looks like it would be trivial to add one. Appears to be a simple BCM input that's switched to ground.

BCM connector X6 pin 15: yellow w/ light-blue stripe.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I don't understand the thread. Unless there is someone standing behind the car wanting to get in to the trunk, then why would you want the tailgate unlocked? If they are there and want to get in, they just press the button and lift in one operation. In my car, it will open if the fob is in the car and the locking is not active, because my kids help themselves when I pick them up and dump stuff in the trunk for themselves, I don't have to get out of the car with the fob.

·
Registered
98 Posts
ampera_jed

You would have to add an inside button. For a homeowner without mechanical experience and some skill installing car stereos, this would be a difficult install. Just completed the remote key FOB and trunk release button in my 2017 Volt. Was a pain but totally doable for some one handy.

Stephen

No interior button, but it looks like it would be trivial to add one. Appears to be a simple BCM input that's switched to ground.

BCM connector X6 pin 15: yellow w/ light-blue stripe.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but this is one more feature the Volt doesn't have that I just don't understand.

My Volt was $47k new and has some pretty amazing technology packed into it, but the fact that there is bluetooth for phone calls but not audio, manual seats and no trunk opening button on the dash (like nearly every other hatchback in the world) makes me scratch my head. Better gauges would be great too. I'd love to know coolant temp and 12v output to name a few...

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
No Bluetoth for audio? That's on the 2014 model and according to this it's on the 17 as well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Nope on my '12. And it's not like the tech wasn't around way back then, lol. Not a big deal, just makes me shake a head a bit on the little things they cheaped out on.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Nope on my '12. And it's not like the tech wasn't around way back then, lol. Not a big deal, just makes me shake a head a bit on the little things they cheaped out on.
Well, I don't think that they truly "cheaped out". The brand new price back then was most certainly paying for a technology that was just in its developing stage.

You can always find niceties lacking in almost any brand and model vehicle, regardless of how much they cost.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts