GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chevy has started to retrofit CarPlay in 7 and 8 inch systems in 2015 vehicles, starting with Silverados. I called my volt advisor and she was aware of it but nothing on the volt for now. HOWEVER she stated to callback and make the request again and again because there is a strong chance it will come to the volt. Android auto as well.

Do yourself a favour and call the volt advisor and make that request. They will promptly do so with your vin.
This would be an awesome upgrade to the volt.

·
4,851 Posts
I doubt that would happen. I believe the 2015 Silverado has the newer radio software that the 2016 Volt has, and so it is capable of such an update.

If it can happen, that's pretty awesome, but I'm guessing the 2015 Volt (ironically) has older radio software making that a lot more difficult to retrofit than the 2015 Silverado.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Do you have a source for this?

As an owner of a 2015 Silverado, I am very interested. I looked into this some time ago and was told that CarPlay/ Android Auto would require new hardware .

·
Registered
123 Posts
When I purchased my wife's 2015 I put that into the buyer survey that Chevy sent to me afterward. They actually called me back and said that it was something that they were looking into. I do wish that they'd followed Tesla's lead on the infotainment system and made it more powerful than they needed so that it could later have upgraded software/features. They need to start to think about that whole system differently. They keep designing it as if it is a complete ecosystem that is never changing. They should think of it more as a part if an ecosystem where the hardware and software can be upgraded. GM isn't going to get new sales from me every year, but they might get an upgrade purchase periodically if they offered that as an option.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Hmmm. It would be nice if they can pull it off but I doubt it. They could not even add BringGo app to Infotainment system though it is possible to do so. In fact, not one new app was added to the Infotainment system after the Volt was built. Just Pandora and that other one I don't even remember anymore!

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
If it was available for the 2015, wouldn't it also work on earlier MyLink Volts? I don't own any Apple products so it really doesn't interest me too much. Maybe if it was Android auto...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good question however they may have upgraded the internals of the system. I have siri eyes free and it is not available on 2013's.
Who knows, the service department at the dealership seemed knowledgeable and knew what I was talking about. He looked in his system and told me it wasn't available YET but concluded it will eventually will.
When I called my volt ambassador (Canada) they called me back with a response for the infotainment team stating it was not available on my vehicle yet because the software required to run Carplay is either IO5 or IO6.

When I asked if that meant we wouldnt get it she told me that normally when a feature is unavailable they say so but they didn't say that in the email, so we ould need to wait and see.

Like I said call and request the feature and see the response. It cant hurt. Oh and apparently it is done free of charge under the warranty.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Anybody get any results from this yet? Considering a '15 and just wondering if this is a possibility

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Anybody get any results from this yet? Considering a '15 and just wondering if this is a possibility
Assume any software updates for gen1 will be non-existant.
If you get it, bonus, but don't hold your breath. We never got them even when it was the current model (e.g. 2013's never got text message support and voice pass through update, despite being the same mylink as 2014 and 2015) - the chance is even less now that it's old news.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts