GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed a few days ago that there was a small slick of oil under the car. A drip or two. There is a small amount of oil it appears leaking around where the oilpan interfaces with with transmission from the bottom left bolt of the oil pan. Does that sound like a rear main seal leak or perhaps the oil pan gasket. How would I know the difference?

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
580 Posts
You're going to have to clean it well and watch it when the car is running. This engine doesn't use an oil pan gasket, just sealer. On my ELR, the pan was leaking, so they dropped the pan and redid the sealer at the dealer before I bought it. I will guess this is your problem as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine is a 2017 Chevy volt and it was leaking from the bottom oil pan . The 2017 Chevy volt has 2 parts to the oil pan . A upper which attaches to the engine block and then the bottom pan which contains the oil drain pan bolt. 90% of the time the bottom pan leaks because its just gm ultra grey sealant. I took my volt in 5 times for the oil leak and finally said [email protected] these dealerships. I ordered a new oil pan off Amazon for 40 bucks and the gm sealant. Its simple to replace . Drain thr oil ,Remove the lower pan ,scrape off all the old rtv on the upper pan where the lower oil pan meets to it . Apply the new rtv to the new lower pan and slap it on and tighten it . You can get the entire chevy volt cd service gm manuel off eBay for the torque specs. Took 1 hour start to finish because I was taking my time . 0 leaks now.

Just like the shift to park issue. My volt was at the dealer for 1 month. Part on back order. I went to a 2nd dealer parts and ordered it and it arrived the next day. Went to the dealership with my volt sat in the parking lot and fixed and installed the harness myself . When they came out to see what I was doing I told them your job which you seem to be incompetent at! Sick and tired of dealerships when it comes to the volts, they do not know how to work on them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts