GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

• 2015 (G1) Volt
  • 240 Volt Charger (in garage) -Green Country I believe, vintage 2015. Power light on it was illuminated.
I went on a short 60 mile trip yesterday, thus did use quite a bit of battery. I think I may have had 6 miles (10km) in it when I parked in my garage.
I plugged it in about 5 PM, and noticed later on in the evening that the green charging dash light went out.
When I opened the drivers door, the charge light came back on. I turned the car on and noticed it had only charged to about 14 kms.
I left it charging over night, but when I went to unplug it this morning I noticed that the green light was out again, and when I went to drive away it still only had 14 kms. But again, when I opened the door the green light came back on.
I drove most of the way to work (26 kms), using ICE in Hold mode. I did try Mountain mode, and it did (according to the DIC). charge up by about 5 kms.
I did switch back and forthe between ICE and All Electric twice and it switched over and ran fine.
I am at work now,and have it plugged into a 120v outlet, will update this when I get home tonight.

-G

·
Registered
542 Posts
First thing I would try is to charge is somewhere else and see what happens - That should tell you whether your problem is with the car or your EVSE at home

Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don,

I did charge it for about 8 hours at work at 120v. It almost fully charged b4 I had to disconnect it and drive home. When I plugged it in a few minutes ago, it appears to have started charging normally. (Green chard light is on on the CAR and the charger). Heading to the gym in about 1/2 hour, then will plug it in again for the night and update you tomorrow.

-G

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check late last night and it WAS charging on 240v, Checked this morning and dome light blinking indicating fully charged. Haven changed anything. Sigh. The only thing I can think of is I un twisted the cable that leads to the car (charge cable).
Will post if any further developments.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plugged in again today, after work, checked after about 2 hours, again, light out, not charging. Opened the drivers door and it started again. I am thinking the charging station is overheating.

-Grant

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Plugged in again today, after work, checked after about 2 hours, again, light out, not charging. Opened the drivers door and it started again. I am thinking the charging station is overheating.

-Grant
My guess is a loose connection either in the J plug or the charge port. Opening the door jostles it just enough to restore the connection. Try wiggling the J plug or bending the cord a bit next time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Uchaul: Yes, the garage is quite warm, but I doubt it is hotter than the 50 deg C quoted on the charger (-30c - +50c I believe). I am putting a new battery in my thermometer and will check.

June-Bug: Anything is possible I suppose but I have wiggled the J connector while it is still plugged in (with the charge light out) and it does nothing. Unplugging it and plugging it back in seems to restart the sequence. When I have opened the drivers door I did so very slowly and gently, and the charge starts as soon as the interior light comes on (I assume that's when the door switch latches closed).

Funny thing with the car is that there is no indication of a fault, no 'Check Engine', nothing showing in the DIC, nothing. And the card runs fine. If it were a computer, I would accuse it of going into hibernate or sleep mode when charging.
Also, no fault lights on the charger, just the power light stays on (because its plugged into the 240v outlet), but all the other lights are out.
I am still waiting for an answer from Sun Country to see if maybe there possibly a thermal issue with it.

-T

1 - 8 of 8 Posts