GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are my numbers looking good or spec for the charge/miles/ kwh? I ❤ the Volt! ⚡ 79k miles 2015 trying to pin point typical battery 🔋 usage with others that have experience. Im thinking those are great numbers? What is the highest range someone got with single charge??

Attachments

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
My old notes show that a forum member, Ari_C, demonstrated the amazing "electric car, round trip on a single charge" potential of the Volt by driving his 2012 Volt for 81.8 ev miles using 9.8 kWh of power (8.3 miles/kWh) and his wife’s Gen 2 Volt for 114.0 ev miles using 14.4 kWh of power (7.9 miles/kWh). He accomplished this by driving at ~25 mph for hours around and around the road circling a professional football stadium parking lot (i.e., relatively level terrain) until the fully charged battery was fully depleted.

Do you drive beyond battery range each day, or are you just looking to get a good Full Charge EV Range Estimate on the display?

The 2015 Volt has an upper display limit of 50 estimated ev miles for the start of day, full charge estimate. Many Volt owners over the years have developed good driving habits to achieve that estimated range number display in the good weather seasons (range goes down in the cold weather), so you should be able to, too, if your battery still retains most of its original rated full capacity. That’s the display limit - the actual range you get when driving beyond battery range can be more.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whoa that's interesting.. I'm trying to see what others average kwh per range miles. I drove about 20 miles beyond battery range and was in normal mode at about 68mpg. My range has steadily been inclining and my guess off the second pic is I'll reach about a 42-45 electric only range at 12kwh. I'm wondering what others highest electric only range has seen b4. If you do simple math and battery is 17.1kwh ..idk if 6kwh at 21 miles would equal 12kwh at 42 miles leaving 5.1 left so I'm just guessing, bc if that is true then the electric range just off second pic with simple math would go beyond 50 miles per charge at 17.1kwh figured in. Idk I'm new to this Volt math bc it only took 10 hours to charge the 17kwh battery?? Maybe I'm missing something or calculation are way off??

·
Registered
854 Posts
The Volt only uses the “middle” of the battery so even though it is 17kw, something like 12-13 might be usable. Your display is showing a lifetime Mpg of 29.2 meaning this car was rarely if ever charged fully. And it was driven fast and probably on low tire pressure. Blow the tires up to 40, fully charge it, then take a nice drive at 30-50 mph and let us know how much range you get.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Whoa that's interesting.. I'm trying to see what others average kwh per range miles. I drove about 20 miles beyond battery range and was in normal mode at about 68mpg. My range has steadily been inclining and my guess off the second pic is I'll reach about a 42-45 electric only range at 12kwh. I'm wondering what others highest electric only range has seen b4. If you do simple math and battery is 17.1kwh ..idk if 6kwh at 21 miles would equal 12kwh at 42 miles leaving 5.1 left so I'm just guessing, bc if that is true then the electric range just off second pic with simple math would go beyond 50 miles per charge at 17.1kwh figured in. Idk I'm new to this Volt math bc it only took 10 hours to charge the 17kwh battery?? Maybe I'm missing something or calculation are way off??

That's basically the second pic I posted 50-55 mph whole time and my tires are 40psi. I put the hold mode on last 3miles too with 21 miles left on battery. So the battery readings will not read over 13kwh on that screen if you go beyond the electric range or that's considered not efficient if it does go over the 13kwh? It looks like it's about 42 miles on full single charge. I was told that about the lifetime mileage on it also, heavily driven, gas only, barely charged. I replaced the pcv valve/ cover, it was running lean but that's fixed now, might contribute to bad mpg from previous owner. 🤔 ? What's highest range off electric only mode and/ or lowest kwh usage per single charge cycle/ full range anyone seen??

Is a 50 mile range possible on electric only with a single charge??

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Are my numbers looking good or spec for the charge/miles/ kwh? I ❤ the Volt! ⚡ 79k miles 2015 trying to pin point typical battery 🔋 usage with others that have experience. Im thinking those are great numbers? What is the highest range someone got with single charge??
My record was 96km or ~59 miles (on 2012). Never broke the 100km barrier. One of the members here drove at 20mph for a long time on track for something much longer..

Standard variance for past 8 years was 35-72km.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My range over the past 3.5 years is 38 to 74 km. Winter makes a big difference, but so it does heat in peak summer (it can be quite hot in Southern Ontario. Mid to high 30s Celsius, without the humidity, which can make it feel like 40+.

I have noticed that the happy spot for range is 20 C.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Updated..I'm at 42mile range constantly..I've noticed this car hasn't been used much as a battery charged car also with 33.2 mpg lifetime now ..I'm hoping that means my battery is in great shape because it was barely charged..I'm at 87k Miles now 42 mile range every charge 😊 only filled up tank 5 times in 6 months...still ❤ the Volt..great car!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow! I bought my 2014 in 2017 and it's lifetime MPG was 39. It had 29K on the odometer. It was a lease car from Michigan that was never ever charged. Since then I now have 114K on the odo and a lifetime MPG of 154. It had been 150 until lightning killed the charging port and I had to run the ICE to get home (oddly enuf my Amazon charger worked fine but "real" EV chargers faulted when I plugged in). It the temperature is between 65 and 90 I get a range of 42-45 miles driving in the mountains of NC. This morning it was 45 and I only got 37.

Hah... I just noticed this is from 2021. I hope you are enjoying the car. I LOVE my Volt, but am starting to have to deal with the shortage of replacement parts for an "orphan" car no longer supported by the manufacturer. I had to find my own replacement charging port because the dealer said it would take 4 months to know if they could ever get one again. I did the $625 repair myself and only paid the $97 for a new port. I had to order it 7 times before any of the sellers actually had one in stock and could ship.
Automotive design Auto part Gas Tool Machine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts