GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm facing the end of my Volt lease in August, and mulling over its replacement. New Volt is at the top of the list, but I would prefer to experience something at least a little different. So without considering possible 2.0 version changes (e.g., 5 seats, 60 miles ER, etc.), which may not be here until 2016 or 2017, what would you like to see improved in the 2015 version, being realistic about what can be done?

My list:

• A new dashboard, or at least center console. The interior is dated. Even the Cruze's is better, IMO. Bring back good old fashion knobs, or a Tesla style fully computerized console. I happen to think it would suit the Volt better than the Tesla. Don't turn it into a Buick though. I personally dislike American-style luxury (i.e., chrome, wood, slippery seats). Keep it tight and sporty.
  • More efficient heating
  • A few more miles per charge, tapping a little further down the SOC. Seems to me like GM is a little too cautious here.
  • Better control over when and how the engine runs: No ERDTT for small trips (is polluting and gets atrocious mpg), option to increase the SOC buffer and limit engine RPM. I understand the latter would be at the expense of optimum efficiency, but I would like the option.
  • Connection to remote app via WIFI
  • A facelift: without deep structural changes, make the car recognizable as a MY20015.
What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I would like the 2015MY Volt to dip slightly deeper into the battery capacity to get to 40 miles of EPA AER and for another, colder setting for ERDTT. 6.6 kWh charge rate as an option would be phenomenal too.
My lease doesn't expire until 2016 so I won't be one of the people that would get to enjoy these upgrades but they would make a lot of Volt drivers very happy.

·
Registered
481 Posts
MY2015 will likely be a clone of the 2014 MY, which is why I bought instead of leased. I want to be able to wait for the next true generation, or the Model E.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I also might go for the model E, when it will become available.
As improvements on a Volt, I would suggest a lighter ICE engine, like a 3 cylinder 1.0liter non turbo.
(The ICE engine has to furnish only the average power, not instantaneous, so a smaller and lighter engine
would be an improvement)
More energy efficient heating, with a heat pump to heat the cabin, with heating elements as a backup for
extremely cold weather.
A user prompt for the ERDTT so it can be optimised for the short or long trip situations.
More electric range would also be nice, of course.

Francois
B2653

·
8,680 Posts
I think expecting any of this is pretty unlikely. All of those suggestions involve substantial engineering effort and new parts - why would GM put that into the final year of a generation - especially when they are trying to drive costs down.

Of course, 2015 could still be the first year of generation 2 - in which case I don't think you're asking for enough. ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think expecting any of this is pretty unlikely. All of those suggestions involve substantial engineering effort and new parts - why would GM put that into the final year of a generation - especially when they are trying to drive costs down.
I agree that if MY2015 is the last year before gen 2, it'll be a clone of MY2014. But if they plan on 2 or more years, I'm just hoping they'll bring some minor excitement (that's not necessarily another price cut - though that would be nice too).

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
saghost, I would agree that it is unlikely and that is too bad. There is a bit of mid-cycle ennui setting in, and simple things could really offset that. We know the ELR dips deeper into the pack than the Volt. If GM decides that the Volt pack is robust enough to take dipping slightly deeper into it, the PR advantage of getting the original goal of 40 miles of EPA AER would be a big win for Chevy.
Second, Nissan charges $1300 for 6.6 kW charging and a rear view cam. If GM offered 6.6 kW charging as an option they wouldn't look as backward. Yes, I know EREV's don't need faster charging but it is useful. If GM offered faster charging for $800, they would have an option that makes them money and is wanted by a substantial portion of the Volt clan.
Third, adding a colder setting or a user delay setting on the ERDTT would cost pennies, and it would remove one of the gripes we hear the most in the winter.
Anyway, I would bet GM will do nothing and expect us to be happy about it. ;-)

Of course, 2015 could still be the first year of generation 2 - in which case I don't think you're asking for enough. ;)

·
2,356 Posts
MY 2011-12 was 16.0 kWh.

MY 2013-14 is 16.5 kWh.

MY 2015 could be 17.0 kWh. They must be doing something in that battery testing lab.

And tweaks to ERDTT settings. All pretty reasonable changes that there is a precedent for.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I suspect GM has little budget to upgrade the MY2015, saving the money for the Volt 2.0. So expect no new ICE, no external face lift and no new interior, no heat-pump heater. So we are left with mods that can be done cheaply:

- Increase battery capacity by widening the charge window. The ELR has done this; It has 11.9kWh instead of 10.6kWh from the same battery. So it costs virtually nothing to get 43 miles of EPA range (12% more). See here fore details: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?87506-Popular-Mechanics-ELR-squeezes-11.9kWh-out-of-the-Voltec-battery

- Some interior or exterior colors changes.

- Minor tweaks to the infotainment system.

So only one of the wishes of the OP are likely going to happen. I think that is OK. The problem with the Volt is not the styling, equipment or performance. The car is darn good and still competitive. The main problem is still price and marketing.

·
Registered
804 Posts
And you forgot to add changing the exterior colors available. They'll probably drop the best color, then add a fugly color and call it - matt metallic burnt toast or something like that.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I don't think you will truly know the answer until August or September when the new MY is officially released.

GM just isn't supplying any official information on the 2015 Volt.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
My first request would be a quieter exhaust system in the ICE. second would be some additional user control over initial ICE startups for ERDTT and CS mode. I too have had the ICE start only seconds before I turned the car off. Third would be some instrument panel information on the ICE, forth would be a tri-mode screen on the center stack showing basic climate settings, radio settings and buttons and efficiency information.

the only body change I would like to see is a hatch change to reduce the drama associated with closing it.

the dumbest thing I want is a front bumper parking camera....

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
GM's "update" of ERDTT in the ELR is bad news. It is activated at a fixed 32°F, and there is no configuration option to change it. Let's hope that update doesn't make it into any version of the Volt.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I also agree about being able to adjust ERDTT temps further or have an ICE-holdoff for those 'so close to home' situations. Maybe tie ERDTT to Defrost only for those who want it that way. It's still amazing to me how often I get those. Just last night I had the ICE start about 1 mile from my house just as I crested the peak of the hill that gets me home practically in Neutral. The ICE ran for it's 1 minute warmup period and turned off again just as I was turning onto my block.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
I expect no changes at all, or very minor ones. Paint color changes is almost a given. Anything more than that and I would be surprised (pleasantly).

·
8,680 Posts
A heated steering wheel would be delightful!
See, now that's one that could actually happen. The Buick Verano is another Delta II car, with an identical steering wheel except for the logo - but they have a heated wheel in at least some trim levels. Bonus points if GM adds it in to the smart logic that controls the automatic heated seats. :)

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I don't think you will truly know the answer until August or September when the new MY is officially released.

GM just isn't supplying any official information on the 2015 Volt.
Actually we should know sooner. The model year changeover at the factory typically happens in the summer and the 2015 order guide usually makes an appearance in mid spring.

I can usually dig it out when it's available.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Drama? What drama? I'd like an automated open/close, but as for manual hatches, this one gives me no problems.
I have 3 concerns with the hatch closing that I call "drama" 1- the booming sound as it closes, Its as if the crew hatch on an ohio class submarine is being closed. If yours does not have this, I will record mine and post it here. 2- the reach into the cargo area- I have crushed a couple of containers that I thought were fully below the load line for the cargo area, and 3- the way ice and remelt builds up in both the seal area and on the landing pads, causing winter time "broken plastic" sounds when I close it, which I do 4 times a day....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts