GM Volt Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
The lack of button would just make the 2012 and earlier models charge at 12A. If you wanted the car to only pull 8A, you'd need to modify the pilot signal with a switched resistor applied. (Don't ask me to do it. I'm not messing with Lear, again :p )

Going from modifying the Clipper Creek version for the 13-14 to attempting the Lear for 2015 really is an eye opener. The build quality, unit components, and design are far superior in the CC unit. It really does look like Lear tried to make the cheapest EVSE, right down to the thinnest copper to get the bid. My level of frustration with this little project is tempered with the fact I already have a Clipper Creek version on my Volt (2014) and the EVSE that came with my Tesla is at least as good, if not better, than any Clipper Creek design. If I had one of these Lear versions, I would be mad as hell.

-C
How would an owner even distinguish the difference? The 2015 Lear versions have a light in the handle? No screws on the back?

Honestly GM keeps changing the Volt 110 EVSE designs so much over time, and not, alas, for the better. The CC 2013-14 versions, I was told, were originally designed to continue the LED handle flashlight feature from the prior gen versions, but then the feature was intentionally deleted from the production units. Why? How does that help a user and would it even save much of any build costs for GM? And now, going back to Lear as a supplier, why, after all the trouble with the 1st and second gen Lear units (orange pigtail then black pigtail designs) would they trust Lear? Purely price?

GM really should have designed a totally new design retrofit unit for the existing Volts -- smaller, lighter, ideally retractable cord reel, more robustly built boards/wiring gauge, with an amp selector button directly on the unit, so 2013+ users don't have to switch the settings on the dash at each charge.

--Maybe Lear is simply taking the guts out of thousands of old, failed units from Chevy dealers and re-manufacturing and repackaging the boards for these 2015 replacement units? Or, perhaps these 2015 Lear versions were intended to be produced as 'button' versions (hence the extra LED display, which is left visible on new/replacement 'button' EVSE versions from Lear (for 2010-12 Volts) [black pigtail, black cord, black button versions]) but instead they were modified to work with the 2013+'s with no amp button.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks all for posts about this.

My goal is to convert the Voltec 120V portable EVSE which came with my 2015 Volt to handle both 120V & 240V (240V using mainly
NEMA 10-30 ungrounded 3 wire”old style” dryer plug), & while I’m at it improve the reliability & add whatever bells & whistles economically practical.

Options seem to range from salvaging the case & replacing all the guts & cords, to replacing just the “electronics” by adding an Open EVSE bd, to finding a way to modify the existing bd.

1) It seems like there is not an obvious way to modify the existing bd; it seems like the next step might be to get whatever 240V portable charger comes with the 2015 Volt & do a complete tear-down on it & the 120V version. I’m interested in trying as a learning experience but don’t have time or skills now, although I might be willing to kick in a few $$ to someone who does. Anyone know what Chevy is supplying for portable 240V charging or where to get a cheap one to tear down?

2) Since I already exposed the hidden LEDs on mine by cutting off the top cover, it seems like it would be useful to have them coded to be able to tell whether its charging at 8A, 12A, or 16A. I’d really like a power meter function to be able to see how many kWh it uses when charging at 240V, such as what I can get now at 120V by plugging into my $15 “Kill A Watt” meter, since it looks like buying a standalone 240V power meter would be significantly more expensive than $15 (although I didn’t search very hard).

3) Does anyone know what the source(s) of the reliability problems on earlier Voltecs was, or if the 2015 versions have addressed any of them?

I have some experience with conventional auto DIY, a lot of experience with low power electronics but not much with power, ongoing interests in EVs & solar PV & Makers how they can work together, & am interested in using this project to learn more about EVSEs. I’m “invested” in the Voltec unit to the extent that I voided the warranty, and would like to think that some of the earlier reliability problems have been addressed, but realize that the 2015 is really just a stepping stone on the way to the 2016, so they may not have been thinking long term on this one.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I can't see the photos in the original post. What GM part number is this? I'm having trouble identifying mine.
You need to make a few more posts so total over 10 posts then you can post a picture front and back of what you have and get better help with ID of it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
back from the dead thread

Resurrecting a thread from the dead. OP had photos linked from Facebook, which renamed/moved the image file, so images don't work anymore. Thread wouldn't let me edit the OP, so here are the photos again, this time attached.

Additionally you DO NOT NEED TO MODIFY THE 2015 EVSE FOR L2 USE.
It is capable to be used just like the 2016+ with using a simple adapter and send Hot + Hot + Ground to the 110v plug to make it L2. Ground is the one on the bottom on the 110v plug.

I've been using this exact charger, plastic welded the two pieces back together, every day, several times a day, on 240v L2 without any problems at all for the last 18 months or so.

front.jpg back.jpg side2.jpg side.jpg coversoff3.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Original photos again. The only reason you would need to modify the 2015 Lear OEM charger is if you wanted to see the row of green lights flash as it charges. Otherwise the hidden row of green lights don't show level of charge, or really anything important.

screwdriver.jpg coversoff.jpg rearoff.jpg coversoff2.jpg split.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
So this is the 2015 Lear EVSE unit that can be used with the adapter for L2 charging? And the 2015 Clipper Creek requires the internal modifications? I've seen so much conflicting info in the forum it's hard to follow.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
So this is the 2015 Lear EVSE unit that can be used with the adapter for L2 charging? And the 2015 Clipper Creek requires the internal modifications? I've seen so much conflicting info in the forum it's hard to follow.
Yep, the late 2014 to 2015 Volts came with this newer Lear version that has an auto-switching transformer and can use the same adapters as the Clipper Creek EVSEs that come with the 2016+ Volt and 2017 Bolt EV

The 2013 and early 2014 Volts came with Clipper Creek units that need internal modification to do L1/L2.

So here's the rule of thumb on Gen1 EVSEs:

2011-12 has a button. No L2 conversion, no adapter
2013-early 14 has six screws on the back, holding it to gether. L1/L2 conversion capable (4-wire mod)
late 2014-2015 has no button and no screws. Can use L2 adapter.

The reason my research was inconclusive, much earlier in this thread, is because Coilcraft would not release the spec sheet for that transformer because it's a custom/OEM unit for Lear, and they have an NDA with them. SWIM, took their own 2015 Volt EVSE and plugged it into a 240VAC source, and it works. This success has been repeated several times, by many people.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for originally looking into these EVSE's and again for clearing it up for me. Looks like I have a trip to the hardware store in store for the weekend. I'll be buying a dedicated L2 EVSE anyway (since this is still the Lear) but it'll be nice to have this until it happens and as a backup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a late 2014 Volt with the Lear charger with no screws.

I converted to plug to a nema 10-50 and plugged it into a 10-50r but the car only charges at 120v

Any idea what could be wrong? I've verified 240v at the receptacle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a late 2014 Volt with the Lear charger. I've replaced the plug with a 10-50 and plugged it into a 10-50r - but the car still only charges at 120v, not 240v

Anyone have an idea what gives? Definitely have 240v at the receptacle.

·
Administrator
20,326 Posts
I have a late 2014 Volt with the Lear charger. I've replaced the plug with a 10-50 and plugged it into a 10-50r - but the car still only charges at 120v, not 240v

That alone won't do it. Get out your screwdriver, soldering iron, wire cutters...

The newer 2016+ EVSE's are an easier mod (there is a whole thread about this) with details:

·
Registered
5 Posts
That isn't the charger I have.

That alone won't do it. Get out your screwdriver, soldering iron, wire cutters...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Resurrecting a thread from the dead. OP had photos linked from Facebook, which renamed/moved the image file, so images don't work anymore. Thread wouldn't let me edit the OP, so here are the photos again, this time attached.

Additionally you DO NOT NEED TO MODIFY THE 2015 EVSE FOR L2 USE.
It is capable to be used just like the 2016+ with using a simple adapter and send Hot + Hot + Ground to the 110v plug to make it L2. Ground is the one on the bottom on the 110v plug.

I've been using this exact charger, plastic welded the two pieces back together, every day, several times a day, on 240v L2 without any problems at all for the last 18 months or so.

View attachment 125417 View attachment 125409 View attachment 125393 View attachment 125401 View attachment 125505
I have this same charger, but it only charges at 120v - even though I clearly have 240v at the receptacle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
omaharacer, thanks for re-posting the photos.. I've got green lights but no charge this evening on a 3 yr old unit... Time to see what fried.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all, I have a 2014 Lear (no screws, hidden green lights) that has worked for a year, but now is showing flashing reds. About 6mths ago it got wet and failed, then worked fine again after drying out. This time it got wet, but is not coming back to life. I dismantled with hacksaw and screwdrivers, dried overnight near a stove, but no luck. I'll be buying an L2 charger, but would like to also have one in the trunk. In the meantime, having serious gas-anxiety!;)
Any pointers on troubleshooting? I do have time, tester, solder etc)
Thanks
Bernie. 2014 Volt in Nova Scotia. (Only know of 1 other)
("No user-servicable parts inside" HaHa)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Reporting progress:
I bought a Duosida 220v NEMA 6-20 L2 charger in October 2018. It has worked perfectly ever since, and charges the Volt in about 4hrs.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts