GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Chevrolet Volt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend i have installed a heated steering wheel in my 2015 Volt. For around 100$.

First i ordered a Chevy Sonic 2017 heated steering wheel and a clock spring from EBAY.

Received parts, and followed the youtube instruction:

It took about 1 hour to complete and it was fairly easy.

Here is the final result.
:)

I am really happy with it, winter is comming and i'm sure it will be great :)

The only little problem is that the controls do not have the same color at night. But it is not that bad!

·
Administrator
20,781 Posts
Yes, a heated steering wheel is nice. Thanks for sharing the details, a great post!

·
Registered
2013 Volt - Silver Topaz
311 Posts
Nice job. A heated steering wheel should have been standard with the comfort package or Premier trim version Gen 1s. You can save a lot of energy by not running the electric heat. When my commute was right at the edge of battery range, I used to wear a jacket and gloves and just use seat heaters in winter (fairly mild in North Texas). A heated steering wheel would have been really nice to have.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I installed a Sonic heated steering wheel on my 2013 Volt too. Very simple. I believe I had to move over one wire on the steering wheel harness and make a power harness to power the clock spring.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice, I'm interested in doing this... will other GM steering wheels work to? Having trouble finding a heated Sonic on ebay currently.
The 2017+ Sonic heated steering wheel will be the only one that will fit our air bag which drastically keeps the cost down. You may be able to retrofit a different heated steering wheel, but will need to use a different air bag too. The first guy to do this mod used a Buick Verano heated steering wheel, but also used the Buick air bag too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Very interesting to see this stuff. I'm glad my 2017 came with heated steering. I never knew how nice it was until I had it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

sdallaire, mjspiess,
I am having luck finding the 2017 Sonic steering wheel, and I see the part number for the clock spring posted above as 23166808. Tapping a circuit for power like shown in the video is simple enough, but what is this about repining the harness?

·
Registered
48 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

sdallaire, mjspiess,
I am having luck finding the 2017 Sonic steering wheel, and I see the part number for the clock spring posted above as 23166808. Tapping a circuit for power like shown in the video is simple enough, but what is this about repining the harness?
I can't remember exactly what wire it was, but you'll see the difference between your Volt steering wheel and Sonic steering wheel. All I did was take a safety pin and disengage one of the wires from the steering wheel wire harness, back it out and slid it into a different spot.

·
Registered
2015 Chevrolet Volt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

sdallaire, mjspiess,
For me it was plug an play, did not have to rework anything in the new steering wheel and clockspring harness.

My new heated steering wheel has been a really great upgrade for the last 2 months. For me it is worth well over the 100$ i've paid. With the heated seat, It really helps to keep me warm in my dally commute when temperture is between 0 and -10 degres celcius. The 4500 watts i save when i'm not using the heater, give me some extra km to go to work on battery only!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey Nitroracer, where are you finding the steering wheel? I've been checking ebay every week or so for a few months and have never seen a viable candidate.... would love to know if you have another/better source.
hollanderparts.com or www.car-part.com were good sources for me. Unfortunately, you have to look at every picture because they don't sort out the "heated" option.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Loosely related but also not: Does the Cadillac ELR (in either its 2014 or 2016 iteration) have a heated steering wheel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
Heads up: while this is an excellent find for 90+% of Volts, be aware of 2015 Volt (only) has the lane departure alert feature. It occupies the same position as the heated wheel switch and will be lost if a steering wheel is swapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Premier
11 Posts
Does anyone know the part number for the 2017 chevy sonic heated steering wheel? I can't find any used ones and I've been looking for a few months now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone know the part number for the 2017 chevy sonic heated steering wheel? I can't find any used ones and I've been looking for a few months now.
I didn't pull up a part number but I did identify how to find one knowing what full vehicle it came from.

2017+ Sonic
Not available on RS package cars
If you can see the RPO codes, or determine them through an email to GM with the VIN look for UVD and PDB.

UVD = Heated Steering Wheel
PDB = Convivence Package

Convenience Package, includes (KA1) heated driver and front passenger seats, (AMM) driver, 6-way power seat adjuster, (ATH) Keyless Open, (BTM) Keyless Start, (5H1) 2 spare keys, (UDC) enhanced Driver Information Center, (N34) leather-wrapped 3-spoke steering wheel and (UVD) heated steering wheel

1 - 17 of 17 Posts