GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving on the highway at 75 mph when this message pops up, along with the check engine light. Pulled over to the shoulder and turned car off. After 10 mins got back on the highway. Car was running fine although check engine light remained on. Pulled into Advanced Auto Parts store and the diagnostic said something to the affect of a "solenoid in or near the transmission" (Not exactly sure what I was told) Anyhow brought it to the transmission shop in town here. The shop is going to change the transmission fluid this week however he had no logical explanation for what had happened. I am going to ask a few more mechanics this week but I'm afraid most of these people are clueless when it comes to the Chevy Volt. I have 60,000 miles on the car. Drove it from San Diego to Chicago no problem straight gasoline. It has since been on the highway 9 or 10 times however no more than 250 mile round trips. I regularly charge the car every night at home. It has always been a great ride/car. This has me baffled and I'm appreciative of any and all feedback here. Thank you.

·
Administrator
20,643 Posts
Most be because your car has no production year... :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2015 it was purchased brand new by my daughter. It has been my car for the last 3 years. She has given ownership of the car to me.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
If I were you, I would take it to a Chevy dealer for a recommendation.

How many start/stops since the incident? Perhaps the light will go out with time/distance, indicating that whatever triggered the event has resolved itself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The light went out when I took it to the auto parts store for the diagnostic test. (The evening of the incident) I have driven it over 3 hundred miles since then with no issues. I will have the transmission fluid changed this Friday. One day next week I will stop and inquire at the dealership. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The light went out when I took it to the auto parts store for the diagnostic test. (The evening of the incident) I have driven it over 3 hundred miles since then with no issues. I will have the transmission fluid changed this Friday. One day next week I will stop and inquire at the dealership. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.
Your 2015 Volt Electric Drive Unit (transmission) is still under the 8 year/100,000 mile warranty. If this problem comes back, take it to a Chevy dealership with an EV certified technician.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm reading 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. The Volts battery is covered for 8 years or 100,000 miles. Also reading 8 year warranty on electrical drive unit assembly and internal components i.e. the auxiliary fluid pump, pump controller and 3 phase cables. Voltec/Electric Propulsion On Board Charger and a few other items are under warranty for the 8 year/100,000 miles. Just a little confusion here in the owners assistance manual. I will contact the dealership and confirm with them on what is still under warranty. Thanks a million for your information on this. I appreciate your time.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm reading 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. The Volts battery is covered for 8 years or 100,000 miles. Also reading 8 year warranty on electrical drive unit assembly and internal components i.e. the auxiliary fluid pump, pump controller and 3 phase cables. Voltec/Electric Propulsion On Board Charger and a few other items are under warranty for the 8 year/100,000 miles. Just a little confusion here in the owners assistance manual. I will contact the dealership and confirm with them on what is still under warranty. Thanks a million for your information on this. I appreciate your time.
The three "big" warranty limits are:
  1. 3 year or 36K miles bumper to bumper warranty
  2. 5 year or 50K miles power train warranty
  3. 8 year or 100K miles Voltec warranty
What is covered under each one, except for the first one, can be difficult to know...especially the last one. If I were you I would recommend contacting the dealer and ask.

I did want to comment on your statement that the light went out at the auto parts store. It's possible they cleared the codes which would extinguish the light and remove and stored codes leaving a dealer diagnosis lacking important diagnostics information.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
The three "big" warranty limits are:
  1. 3 year or 36K miles bumper to bumper warranty
  2. 5 year or 50K miles power train warranty
  3. 8 year or 100K miles Voltec warranty
What is covered under each one, except for the first one, can be difficult to know...especially the last one. If I were you I would recommend contacting the dealer and ask.

I did want to comment on your statement that the light went out at the auto parts store. It's possible they cleared the codes which would extinguish the light and remove and stored codes leaving a dealer diagnosis lacking important diagnostics information.
True. The car was driven "over three hundred miles" since the light was extinguished, which, IMO, is more than enough mileage to cause the event to repeat itself. It hasn't. Your point that the codes might be missing is valid. I'm still of the opinion (as are you) that a visit to the dealer is good insurance against future occurrences.

To the OP, Lalls, please let us know what the dealer found.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm having the transmission fluid changed this Friday. I will proceed from there with a contact/consultation with the dealership. Thank you very much for all your help gentleman.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I'm having the transmission fluid changed this Friday. I will proceed from there with a contact/consultation with the dealership. Thank you very much for all your help gentleman.
Good luck. We (well, most of us) LOVE our Volts and share the thrill (burden?) of ownership. We pioneers, and those who follow, want the legend to survive as long as possible. (Plus, shared knowledge is helpful for us all. 8^)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The Volt doesn’t have a transmission per se, it has an electric drive unit that contains 2 motor/generators, clutches, and a planetary gear. It is filled with regular transmission fluid, and is covered by the 8 year Voltec warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If its covered under the warranty then I'm in good shape($). Thanks for the information. Well appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts