GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a 2015 volt today and when i look at the build sheet on the car it says "ENGINE FLEXIBLE FUEL,(GAS/ALC),4 CYL,1.4L,MFI,DOHC,E-FLEX,FAM 0 1.4L E-FLEX(LUU)" does that mean the car is capable of running E85?
Thanks Randy

·
Administrator
21,229 Posts
What does your owners manual say regarding the type of fuel the car can use?

·
8,680 Posts
I don't believe GM ever certified the car for it. The engine is apparently capable of handling it - it doesn't follow that the rest of the car is. I'd be especially uncomfortable with the hydrophilic ethanol sitting in the tank for a year as gas can on a Volt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went to the compnine site and used the vin of the car and on the build sheet of the car it has this line in the rpo codes

"LUU ENGINE FLEXIBLE FUEL,(GAS/ALC),4 CYL,1.4L,MFI,DOHC,E-FLEX,FAM 0 1.4L E-FLEX(LUU)"

so by just looking at that i would assume it would be able to use flex fuel but by searching the site there is not a lot of info about it, if its needed i can copy and paste the whole build sheet so you can see what im seeing.
Thanks Randy

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Not sure if the '15 is the same, but earlier Gen 1s do not run on E85, but I think it is possible to install an ethanol sensor if you really wanted to make it work. We had a member that did some testing and I believe he said it would handle up to about E50 without modification.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
The GM Flexfuel vehicles I've seen are badged as such, so if there's no badge, you're on your own to use it or not. I won't.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I don't believe GM ever certified the car for it. The engine is apparently capable of handling it - it doesn't follow that the rest of the car is. I'd be especially uncomfortable with the hydrophilic ethanol sitting in the tank for a year as gas can on a Volt.
I completely agree with this. Unless your engine runs everyday due to the commute, I wouldn't even think about ethanol in my fuel. I put effort into finding ethanol-free gas for my Volt. One tank lasts me over 6 months under normal use and ethanol fuel gums up in time.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
While the LUx series of 1.4 liter Ecotec engines are all E85 capable, the surrounding fuel system, including the injectors, are not. Bad News Racing has some conversion kits for the Cruze - they might be able to help you with this for the Volt. On the other hand, with many Volts not using gas on a regular basis combined with Ethanol's hydrophobic nature, I wouldn't recommend using E85 in any Volt even if it had the 42# injectors and other plumbing changes needed to handle that much Ethanol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like I'll just keep on using the premium in it because I don't intend using a great amount of gas in it, I'll probably use a tank a month in it going to the airport 4 hrs away once a month.
But the bright side is that the airport has newly installed level 1 chargers for free.
Thank you for your answers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts