GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
My lifetime average in my 2014 is 4.4 mi/kWh with 145k miles on the odometer. That's 39K miles pure electric and 107k miles on the generator. You are doing very well!

·
Registered
2011 Premium, Nav (no camera:( )
118 Posts
Without using a calculator, it looks like you got close to 6 mi/kW-h (!). Good job. It all depends on the conditions. I can get over 8 mi/kW-h on my way to work (800' elevation drop) over 10.5 miles, but the trip back up the hill requires nearly 4 kW-h. In general at lower speeds and minimal HVAC use, I will tend to see about 4.5 mi/kW-h on average.

Keep up the good driving habits!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I calculate my energy usage based on how much I put IN, not on the display of how much comes OUT, of the battery. Since I pay for what I put in, that's more important to me.
27,000 miles of electric on 8657 kWh works to 3.12 m/kWh. The charger is about 85% efficient (240v, about 80% on 120v) that would be somewhere around 3.6 to 3.7 m/kWh per the dash display.
I've recently switched to some new-to-me, nearly new, used tires and have noticed a big improvement in efficiency. Still too early to claim any definitive conclusion. My rolling average for the last 10 calculations (weekly) show me at 4.18 m/kWh input (about equivalent to 4.9 m/kwh dash display of output). My last 5 weekly entries are at 4.76 miles per kWh of grid power purchased.
This time of year is usually peak season: cool enough so no A/C, warm enough so no heat or defrost. Still, October 2020 was 3.7 mi per kWh in, October 2019 was 3.8, October 2018 was 3.4, so the difference this year compared to those is substantial.

p.s.: 5,600 miles on gasoline, 156 gallons (37.9 mpg, or 6.2l / 100km)

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Hello all ,
Quick question
after 2000 mi of battery usage , I am showing avg 5.5 mi per kWh
I owned a fiat 500e that avg 4.4 mi per kwh
I’m hearing Tesla’s run around 4.3
Could it really be that efficient ?
What about any regen you used to drive those 50.8 electric miles?

Did you not slow down using the regenerative brakes, and then use that regen when you accelerated back up to speed? Did you at some point drive down a long hill, putting downhill regen into the battery (did you see the kWh Used decrease as you drove because of this?), and when you reached the bottom, did you not then drive on regen battery power to add a certain amount of electric miles to the total?

So, how much fuel did you use to drive those 50.8 electric miles? The display shows 8.5 kWh of grid power, but it doesn’t show the amount of regen you used... Was the route on flat ground? Did it include downhill driving? We don’t really have any display showing Regen Used during Electric Mode or Extended Range Mode driving, although it’s probably safe to say that grid and regen power have the same "energy content," and are equally efficient as fuel for electric driving...

Can you really calculate your Volt driving efficiency if you don’t include the amount of regen battery power that contributed to the total Electric Miles?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes, one can. Whether the miles per kWh going uphill or during acceleration were higher than the m/kWh slowing or going back down doesn't matter. The total miles traveled and the total power out of the battery allow calculation.
Regenerated electricity isn't free. It comes from a loss of altitude and/or velocity either or both of which are obtained by driving upward or speeding up. The 'return' of electric power from regen is from the prior expenditure of energy. The display shows the sum of expenditure and return. Since neither in this instance were obtained from gasoline (see the embedded image in the original post) and presumably not obtained from pushing or towing the Volt, the logical (to me, anyway) conclusion is that the 50.8 miles were all battery powered.

What IS unknown is the starting altitude and what was the energy consumption rate to drive UP to that hilltop charging point.
It's also not known if the car might have been up on jack stands and spinning the wheels with no air drag and no hills, but that's just an internet conspiracy...

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I calculate my energy usage based on how much I put IN, not on the display of how much comes OUT, of the battery. Since I pay for what I put in, that's more important to me.
OTOH, the "out" vs "in" proportion is something that's neither changing nor controllable. So the "out" is a valid proxy for "in" unless you think there's electricity evaporating from a puddle in the low spots of the battery housing...

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Tesla's best stated efficiency is around 4 miles per Kwh where as Lucid's is around 4.5/4.7 miles per Kwh. and they make much of the fact that their car is so much more efficient than a Tesla. These are hard fought efficiencies using the latest technology so a ten year old technology is not going to best them so that 5.5 miles per Kwh has to come from some other means, some possibilities have already been mentioned.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Yes, one can. Whether the miles per kWh going uphill or during acceleration were higher than the m/kWh slowing or going back down doesn't matter. The total miles traveled and the total power out of the battery allow calculation.
Regenerated electricity isn't free. It comes from a loss of altitude and/or velocity either or both of which are obtained by driving upward or speeding up. The 'return' of electric power from regen is from the prior expenditure of energy. The display shows the sum of expenditure and return. Since neither in this instance were obtained from gasoline (see the embedded image in the original post) and presumably not obtained from pushing or towing the Volt, the logical (to me, anyway) conclusion is that the 50.8 miles were all battery powered.
I agree, the OP’s 50.8 electric miles were all battery powered... but what was the "total power out of the battery" that he used to drive those 50.8 electric miles? I suggest it was more than 8.5 kWh.

Let’s say the OP started driving using 0.4 kWh of grid power for acceleration to a given speed. Light turns red, Volt comes to a stop, recapturing 0.3 kWh of that energy used for acceleration. Light turns green, Volt again uses 0.4 kWh of battery power to accelerate to that given speed.

Total power used for acceleration = 0.8 kWh
Total power used for acceleration that is shown on the energy usage display screen
= 0.4 kWh grid power used (- 0.3 kWh regen put into battery + 0.3 kWh regen power used) + 0.1 kWh grid power used = 0.5 kWh total used

Seems to me the OP used 8.5 kWh of grid power plus an unknown amount of kWh of regen to drive 50.8 electric miles. Level terrain regenerative braking would have increased the total kWh used for the driving. Volt drivers really have no display that shows the regen kWh Used during a trip.

Non-level regen is a bit more complex, but the same principle applies. A portion of the grid energy used to increase the elevation of the car is converted into gravitational potential (note that driving uphill has both horizontal and vertical components, so not all the kWh Used to drive uphill is used for the change in elevation). On the way downhill, it’s the force of gravity, not grid power, that may accelerate the car downhill or merely maintain the speed (i.e., in a sense, that amount of power gets used twice). If the brakes are applied while driving downhill (e.g., using L to maintain a cruise-controlled speed), that’s regen into the battery, which is reused when you’re back on level terrain. Again, a portion of the grid power used to move the car to a higher elevation is captured and used a second time to drive electric miles without increasing the net kWh Used.

Can you really calculate your Volt driving efficiency if you don’t account for the regen battery power that contributed to the total Electric Miles?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Do you want total power out of the battery, separate and without the total power regeneration put back into the battery?
I don't know if the Volt is able to list power out separate from regen power back in. There's just the one net sum of all the minuses of kWh used for acceleration and air resistance and the few brief plusses of regeneration, all rolled up into one total: 8.5 kWh in the original poster's image.
That 8.5 kWh IS the amount of grid power. Whatever regeneration power was created from losing altitude and/or inertia was previously created from EXTRA consumption of grid power to gain altitude and/or momentum. The regeneration power quantity, what ever was accumulated, wasn't 'free'. It was purchased from the grid, 'banked' in the battery, 'spent' at a higher rate, then partially 'harvested'. It's still grid power.

·
Registered
189 Posts
re: Tesla and Lucid stated operating efficiencies. Auto manufacturers have defined driving programs they must follow so that they use exactly the same driving program as the other manufacturers. This allows you and I to compare some vehicle's result against some other vehicle's result.
I'm not a manufacturer. I don't have a defined E.P.A. driving program of set acceleration, speed, braking, and distance.
Y.M.M.V.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Do you want total power out of the battery, separate and without the total power regeneration put back into the battery?
Yes, I want to know how much power the motor used to propel the car those 50.8 ev miles. As you drive, the motor uses grid power from the battery to accelerate and to maintain speed, then some driving condition requires the car to slow, so the car’s kinetic energy is used to crank a generator, slowing the car down and putting power into the battery, and then the motor uses that regen as fuel, too. Efficiency should be a measure of distance driven using both that grid and that regen power. I agree that 8.5 kWh IS the amount of grid power used at that point in time, but "the regeneration power quantity, what ever was accumulated," was also used by the motor to propel the car those 50.8 ev miles. How much total power did the motor use? I don’t think we know how to calculate that number.

Then again, "efficiency" is such a loosely defined concept here... seems odd that "efficiency" could be impacted by the clothes you wear while driving... wearing a warmer coat in the winter or shorts in the summer instead of cranking up the heat or air conditioning would help minimize the power consumption used for climate control, leaving more of the full charge for use as motor fuel to extend the ev range.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes, I want to know how much power the motor used to propel the car those 50.8 ev miles. ...... How much total power did the motor use? I don’t think we know how to calculate that number.
It just dawned on me that you might be inquiring how much of grid power was used for motion, "...used to propel the car those 50.8 ev miles..." versus how much grid power was used for other purposes like lights, climate, sound, window operation and such. Is that the question?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
It just dawned on me that you might be inquiring how much of grid power was used for motion, "...used to propel the car those 50.8 ev miles..." versus how much grid power was used for other purposes like lights, climate, sound, window operation and such. Is that the question?
No, I was asking if it is even possible to determine how much regen was used for propulsion during the trip. I was ignoring the issue of battery power used for motion vs battery power used for other purposes.

I’m not sure why you seem to view regen as "recaptured grid power." If your Volt’s battery is fully depleted, it holds no more usable grid power. Stepping on the brake pedal while driving with a fully depleted battery will put regen into the battery, and driving down a long steep hill while driving with a fully depleted battery may put regen into the battery. That’s not grid power, but it can be used for battery powered driving... and we have no display showing us how much regen was used...

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I’m not sure why you seem to view regen as "recaptured grid power." If your Volt’s battery is fully depleted, it holds no more usable grid power. Stepping on the brake pedal while driving with a fully depleted battery will put regen into the battery, and driving down a long steep hill while driving with a fully depleted battery may put regen into the battery. That’s not grid power, but it can be used for battery powered driving... and we have no display showing us how much regen was used...
I think what's being circled around is that regen isn't GENERALLY new power. If it came from slowing down, we had to put power into speeding up in order have velocity to slow down from. If it came from going down the hill, there was driving up the hill to be done to get there. And the power to do those things almost always came from either the wall or the gas tank.

So all the energy is net of both out and regen. And we only have the net figures.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I think what's being circled around is that regen isn't GENERALLY new power. If it came from slowing down, we had to put power into speeding up in order have velocity to slow down from. If it came from going down the hill, there was driving up the hill to be done to get there. And the power to do those things almost always came from either the wall or the gas tank.

So all the energy is net of both out and regen. And we only have the net figures.
Of course regen is new power. It doesn’t exist until you create it by using the energy of the moving car to do work (crank the generator).

We just don’t display the small amounts created via level terrain regen and we conceal the downhill regen behind a display showing an estimated net consumption number created by a computer algorithm. There is no meter tracking kWh change in and out of the battery.

It’s reasonable to think that if you use a given amount of electrical or gas energy to accelerate the Volt to a given speed to give it that amount of kinetic energy, then reversing the process to do work (using that car’s kinetic energy to crank a generator to create electricity) will not "recover" all of the energy used for the acceleration. A "net" use of power, not use of less power.

But any energy so "recovered" is newly created energy. The amount of energy that was previously used to accelerate the car to that given speed hasn’t changed, and now the battery contains an additional amount of energy.

Regenerative braking continues to work after you drive beyond battery range, putting regen into the battery that is then used to drive battery-powered Gas Miles. How do you compare the amount of regen created by slowing down to the amount of gas energy previously used to accelerate the car? Is the portion of the acceleration energy that is later "recovered" as regen greater if the acceleration energy is gas than if it is electricity, or are they both about the same rate of recovery (i.e., does regen improve your gas efficiency more than your electric efficiency)?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Of course regen is new power. It doesn’t exist until you create it by using the energy of the moving car to do work (crank the generator).
But any energy so "recovered" is newly created energy. The amount of energy that was previously used to accelerate the car to that given speed hasn’t changed, and now the battery contains an additional amount of energy.
No, regenerated electric charge is not created, is not new. The battery charge energy increase from regeneration is the partial recovery of preceding battery charge energy decrease that had been converted into kinetic energy (more speed) or potential energy (more altitude). Regeneration is taking that kinetic and/or potential and converting it back into stored electrons. Since the initial battery charge that was converted into kinetic and potential was from the grid, the regenerated electron charge from kinetic and potential also originated from the grid.
Regenerative braking continues to work after you drive beyond battery range, putting regen into the battery that is then used to drive battery-powered Gas Miles. How do you compare the amount of regen created by slowing down to the amount of gas energy previously used to accelerate the car? Is the portion of the acceleration energy that is later "recovered" as regen greater if the acceleration energy is gas than if it is electricity, or are they both about the same rate of recovery (i.e., does regen improve your gas efficiency more than your electric efficiency)?
I don't want to expand the OP's post into a liquid fuel conversion into battery energy discussion. Since the OP's post was only using battery, I'd like to keep this simpler by restricting my replies to just battery. Adding liquid fuel energy (charge sustaining or Mountain mode) into this will really muddle things much more.
Recovered battery charge is never going to even equal, let alone ever exceed, the amount of energy expended to create the kinetic and potential energy that is then converted into regen charge. There is unrecoverable energy that is expended in rolling resistance, air drag and such. Even the sound of the rolling tires is a dispersion of battery energy that can't be turned back into battery energy. Regen will recover maybe 25% of the EXTRA energy used to gain potential (altitude gain), and a far lesser percent of the kinetic (speed increase) energy.

As I'm stating, since all* the motive energy in this original post was from battery, all the recovered kinetic and/or potential energy originated from the battery charge taken from the grid.

* presuming no altitude loss, or other potential / kinetic energy source was used

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Ah, it seems you are viewing the Volt’s battery from the "Gallon-equivalent" perspective. Fill it with grid electricity from the wall plug, unplug, and that’s all the electric fuel you have until you next plug into the wall. Once you start driving, you use this grid power, recapture some of it via braking, and use it again, recapture some again, use it again until the amount you pulled from the wall is eventually gone. At the end of the day, the net total pulled out of the battery can’t be any more than the amount put there from the wall.

But "net total" implies some was taken out and some was put back in. If the regenerative braking system makes it possible to put some energy back into the battery, where it can be pulled out and used a second time... shouldn’t the portion that is used twice be counted twice?

The motor uses energy. The total amount of energy the motor has pulled from the battery doesn’t decrease when regen is created and put back into the battery. My driving efficiency should be miles/kWh pulled from the battery, not miles/"net kWh" pulled from the battery.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Ah, it seems you are viewing the Volt’s battery from the "Gallon-equivalent" perspective. Fill it with grid electricity from the wall plug, unplug, and that’s all the electric fuel you have until you next plug into the wall. Once you start driving, you use this grid power, recapture some of it via braking, and use it again, recapture some again, use it again until the amount you pulled from the wall is eventually gone. At the end of the day, the net total pulled out of the battery can’t be any more than the amount put there from the wall.
Right. But THAT'S WHAT THE OP ASKED ABOUT. The question is "Can the Volt be as efficient as 5.5 miles per KWH?" and the answer is "Yes, it can." Regen is part of that efficiency, not outside it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts