GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello

How many issues can this code indicate?

I have read that the above code is usualy do to charging issues per referenced thread. Has anybody heard or experinced a issue with the Drive motor coolant flow Part 62511 due to the code. 500+ dollars to replace the valve.
Another code that tripped was P1E00. The report says Valve seeping fluid into connector. This is after the dealer Inspection and evaluation

A charging issue makes some sense as this might have something to do with charging at work, which I just started a few weeks ago. The power there may not be as clean as at home. I do use a thick extension cord a work to reach the 110plug. Which, technically , your not supposed to do. I thnk cause some people would try to use a skinny ext cord so they put that warning on the charger to cover thier liability

Thanks for any input

References below

P1E00 CHEVROLET Meaning
This Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) indicates that an emission related DTC has set in the hybrid powertrain control module 2. The hybrid powertrain control module 2 sends a message, via the serial data circuit, to the Engine Control Module (ECM) requesting illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). When the ECM receives the message, DTC P1E00 will set in the ECM.
P1F58 Meaning
The valve provides position feedback to the hybrid/EV powertrain control module 2 based on a potentiometer in the valve. The hybrid/EV powertrain control module 2 uses this feedback to monitor the valve position. Different valve positions correspond to different resistance values. The hybrid/EV powertrain control module 2 determines the resistance values corresponding to the end stop positions of the valve by moving the valve to an end-stop and back to its original position when the vehicle is first turned on. This is referred to as the hybrid/EV powertrain control module 2 "diagnostic learn" the valve. This provides a valve shaft breakage test and allows the hybrid/EV powertrain control module 2 to "learn" the position feedback value that corresponds to that end-stop. The end-stop that is used at each Vehicle in Service Mode alternates between each end, the radiator end one time, the chiller end the next time, the radiator end the next time, etc.

I do not recall seing the above "more in depth" code description when orginally researching this a few weeks ago. Just the simple non descriptive report below that on star gave me. But I did do a internet search to check and do not recall seeing the above

P1F58 per Onstar report Nothing like above
The Lithium-Ion Battery is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Onboard Charging System which manages your vehicles battery pack charge level.

https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?331529-Check-Eng-Light-CEL-P1F58-When-is-a-CEL-a-BIG-deal

·
Registered
60 Posts
Has the dealership done the "N172130462 Flash Update" on your Volt? This is not necessary for all Volts, but was on my 2014. I got a letter in the mail about it, and when I brought my Volt to the dealership for a wheel bearing replacement, they went ahead and did the flash update.

The reason I ask is that I never had this code appear, but the CEL has turned on with this code(s) 3 times since the flash update, which was about 2.5 months ago. The CEL turns off within one day or so after the CEL first appears, so I have not taken it to the dealer about it yet, although I have called OnStar to complain several times.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello they did a software update about a month ago when i had the window motor replaced for 500$. The reciept got wet so I could not check the above numbers cause I may have thrown it out.

The CEL occured before the update. But It did get worse or more constant after the update. Just after the update my fan would only work if AC was on, but not by itself with fan only. But that went away after the chage

Note they will not sell you the plastics balls that go bad in the window motor, which like i did with another car for about 10$.
Window motor should last alot longer then 60,000Miles

I am begining to think i should have got the extended warranty

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah, that CEL and fault code keeps coming back about every 2 weeks or so. It stays on for about a day, then clears itself.

So, I call the dealership today about the issue. I give that fault code to the service rep, and he says he'll talk to his Volt mechanic about it. The Volt mechanic says that a battery pack valve needs to be replaced. The issue is (according to him) that if a certain valve stays open for more than 15 seconds, it throws that fault code. The repair price quote is about $320 for labor and $65 for the part, but they mention that they have to actually inspect the car first to ensure that is the real issue.

I'm thinking about doing it, if the CEL and fault code keep coming back. I plan on keeping the car as long as possible, and my Volt has been super-reliable so far, and I have spent very little on repairs thus far, so maybe it does need the work done.

Just sux that the issue started happening at 101K miles, just outside of the warranty!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
UPDATE: Below is my quote from another related thread.

Took it to the dealership today. The CEL was not lit when I arrived (of course) but they were able to read a fault code history, and found code P1F58 (the code I found using OnStar) and PiF56. I believe P1F58 is for the Control Valve Sensor, and P1f56 is for the Control Valve itself. They said the repair involves replacing the valve, part 22987493. A $50 part online, but they quoted me $691,53 for parts and labor. OUCH. I'm ASSUMING the the labor includes both installation of the new parts, and some type of re-learn or configuration of the new part (very common on many electronic parts in today's cars) that requires connectivity to the GM OEM software. I did not have time to wait the 4 and a half hours they said the repair would take, so I'm dropping it off on Friday. I'll keep ya posted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.