GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Volt. I use to get about 44 miles per charge, but I use to live in a warm climate. I've since moved to Portland, OR. I park it inside the garage & always keep it plugged in even after full. The temperature has been regularly in the mid to upper 30's at night & mid to upper 40's in the day. My range has been dropping regularly this past month & now the range is at 28 miles. The dealer is saying it's a normal drop due to cold. Is it normal to loose 16+ miles of range even with above freezing temps, kept in garage & kept plugged in?

·
Registered
305 Posts
The short answer is yes, that is normal. Make sure to use the preconditioning 10 to 15 minutes before you depart, see if that helps.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I have a 2015 Volt. I use to get about 44 miles per charge, but I use to live in a warm climate. I've since moved to Portland, OR. I park it inside the garage & always keep it plugged in even after full. The temperature has been regularly in the mid to upper 30's at night & mid to upper 40's in the day. My range has been dropping regularly this past month & now the range is at 28 miles. The dealer is saying it's a normal drop due to cold. Is it normal to loose 16+ miles of range even with above freezing temps, kept in garage & kept plugged in?
Yes. I go from a displayed 63+ miles in the summer to around 45 miles in the winter. Mine also is garaged and plugged in 100% of the time. I'm in Nashville, Tennessee.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That’s what I am getting here in Vancouver, Wa. I do use the heater in Eco mode and don’t really care about the range. It’s always bad here in the PNW. I get 40 at best in the summer

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
That’s what I am getting here in Vancouver, Wa. I do use the heater in Eco mode and don’t really care about the range. It’s always bad here in the PNW. I get 40 at best in the summer
What air pressure do you have in your tires?

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
676 Posts
100% normal. The usual suggestions:
  • precondition before leaving
  • air up tires to 40-44psi
  • use fan only, turn the heat down
  • drive slower

Or, just enjoy the car and don't worry what the guess-o-meter says.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts