GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I really like mine too. 30 mile commute with lvl1 charging at work, it gets me enough charge to drive home on battery and only use gas when it ERDTT. We currently take it 13miles to town on the weekend for shopping as gas is over $4.25 here. It had 72 lifetime mpgs when I bought it, now its over 230, hope to hit the magic 250 by end of this year. I still plan on buying a crashed gen1 with working electronics to experiment with replacement battery cells, sadly its quite a few lines down on the list of "things to do".

EDIT: hit the 250+ lifetime MPGs on June 13th 2022

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Haha, my Volt has become the de-facto work horse, vacation car, and commuter. My fiancé drives a 2007(?) Mitsubishi Galant and has been babying it since its paid off and she doesn't want to go in debt on a newer car. I don't mind, its so much cheaper to take mine most of the time so it just makes sense and I'd prefer to drive anyway. Plus Volts just seem to ngaf about how many miles you put on them if you keep the battery charged with hold/mountain mode.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks, the ionic seems to do better than most with up to 29 all electric miles but even that sadly doesn't compare to the Volt or what I need.

There is one hopeful though. The Clarity looks comparable with up to 48 miles of electric range. It sadly isn't a hatchback but apparently you can get it with adaptive cruise control? And apparently the gas engine can still kick on if you accelerate heavy but... That'll be one to actually keep an eye on when the time comes. See a lot of people hating on the style but I think its kind of cool reminds me of the EV-1 and for some reason I just like that.
I think the new Toyota RAV4 Prime is the closest thing to the volt tech with a 42 mile battery only range and 600 mile total range. The main problem I see with them is there is a premium over the list price and they are difficult to get. Also, I'm not crazy about the styling. The volt was ahead of its time.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I guess one key question is whether those of us who are fans of the Volt--myself included--would have been willing to pay a big price premium for it. GM apparently lost considerable money on each Volt it sold, though perhaps if it had promoted it more it would have made up some of that through volume.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Too F..ing slow. I'd get rear ended. Remember, Volt has a 100 mph top speed, and 0 to 30 is similar to a Tesla Model S.
Um… Not true.

Get a manual, put it in 2nd, and with a properly working battery, accelerate all the way from 20 to 70 never touching the clutch. When you see people shifting it it in reviews it’s because they have no idea how to drive it.

I did it all the time on short ramps and whatever. Not Volt-fast, but never a detriment on the highway. I kept up with heavy city traffic, 65-80 mph, no trouble. Had it up to a hundred a number of times. Drives better fast than slow. Didn’t always feel safe doing it, though, ‘cause of all the big SUVs and pickups. But that was my problem, not the car.

0 to 30, it’s quicker than you can shift.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hyundai also makes Santa Fe and Tucson PHEVs. Less range than the Volt and Prime but they also cost less. And I’ve read that if you’re very easy on the throttle its possible to drive completely in EV mode.

My neighbor just bought a Lincoln Corsair PHEV (I had no idea it existed). It also has less range, is more expensive, and it sounds like it’s a bit of a challenge to run continuously in EV mode.

As a comparison to the Volt, today, we were able to drive our RAV4 Prime with four adults and a dog, around 38 miles at around 70 mph in pure EV mode from the Denver area up to Boulder, CO. The trip back, also driving around 70 mph but in HV mode, we averaged >49 mpg. Not too bad for a brick on wheels.

Driving the Volt with only two people and a dog in the car and driving conservatively, we could almost make the round trip completely in EV. It really is a phenomenal car. Wish they still made it.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Before the fuel price hike, I was actually shopping for a Gen 1 Volt. I didn't even know they made a Gen 2.
I'm still happy with my purchase of the 2017 Gen 2 despite having paid $1300 for the EGR valve and cooler. I commute close to 100 miles a day round trip. I charge at home on a Level 2 EVSE and standard 110 portable charger at work. Winter months are rough on the range making me rely on 2 gallons of fuel a week to make up for the shortage. But as soon as the weather hits 55F mileage has gone back up to 50's

I've learned to harness the car's best attribute by using HOLD mode when running constant 70MPH and switch back to electric as soon as I get off the expressway. Any comparable BEV with as much range would cost me 400% more than what I paid for my car. After all $36,000 buys an awful lot of gasoline. 480,000 miles worth.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Generous Motors REALLY screwed up. I'd buy a new battery if it had more capacity. I'd pay for a new HMI, I'd extend the life of this car and they would make a pretty penny in the process. There really is no replacement. I have an ELR and There is no car sold that I'd prefer to drive.

·
Registered
2018 Volt LT
7 Posts
I guess one key question is whether those of us who are fans of the Volt--myself included--would have been willing to pay a big price premium for it. GM apparently lost considerable money on each Volt it sold, though perhaps if it had promoted it more it would have made up some of that through volume.
In 2011-2019, no, most people would not pay a big premium. Today, people are paying a big premium due to supply and demand, scarcity and gas prices. And I'll bet Chevy could price it in a way that would make money and people would easily pay it. Look at what they're paying for a RAV4 Hybrid.

·
Registered
116 Posts
BMW i3? Weak engine and 2.4 gallon tank good luck on a 1,000 mile road trip or hell, even a 300 Mile trip.

RAV4 Prime? SUV, good battery, good ground clearance and .. oh yeah, they basically don't exist and cost $50,000; no thanks!

Tesla, Mach E, Hyundai Kona, Ioniq, whatever else you find.. about 280 miles of effective EV range, 30 minutes to an %80 charge, yeah.. your 12 hour 1,000 mile road trip just got 2+ hours longer.. Which will do if you have to but that really isn't ideal. oh yeah, and these "long range" models still cost like $45,000.

Bolt, leaf, VW ID 4, [insert whatever here], 200 miles effective range>see above ^^^

Fusion hybrid, Malibu hybrid, Prius etc... well you get 50 MPG roughly, that's.. cool. ish.. OR you could get one of the PHEV variants get a whopping 20 miles all electric plus 45 MPG.. which is.. cool.. ish..

Smart Car, older Nissan leafs, Chevy spark, Mitsubishi I, Fiat 500 e, etc.. [Laughs internally]

The Volt is the only car that can handle the upper end of the "average" work commute or all your errands around town while also having the convenience of short stops while on the road.

I'm open to suggestions but yeah.. there's nothing practical out there to drive around town for dirt cheap AND bypass the long charging times for longer trips. At this point, when the Volt dies or perhaps at the end of its warranty, I'll shell out for that 2019 I want or maybe just get a Bolt and rent a car for road trips. Of course renting is super expensive too so maybe not..
Tesla S3 Long Range is over 60K. My buddy got his last year for 58K, and now they're 7K more albeit nicely equipped but not the whole nine yards...that's 80K.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Brilliant, truly.. So we're just going to have to hold out as long as we can. If my gen 1 was paid for I would just bite the bullet and buy a refurbished battery when needed and enjoy the car another 5 years or so, but given I still owe on it its tempting to sell it when I can still make a profit rather than face a loss when it dies or pump thousands on top to keep her going.
I just went the refurbished route on my 2012. Used/new prices too high. Most importantly, I have a chronic illness and the Volt is comfortable to me. I tried a Kia “hybrid” and within 10 minutes my pain had spiked. So far the refurbished is getting 36-38 commute miles in Tucson (using AC). That’s two days of commuting for me on one charge. Greentec says the cells average 20k collectively. They estimate it should last around another 80k, which I hope gets me to more EV choices at prices well under $50k!

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Volt is amazing and was ahead of its time.

The closest car to the Volt that I know of is the BMW 330e. 22 miles on EV only and then the gas engine takes over like the Volt. We went shopping for one, but they are very scarce, only 40 in the whole country.

My 2018 CT6 2.0E plug-in uses Voltec and sees about 43 miles on battery and close to 40 mpg on engine for a total of almost 600 miles. No Lexus hybrid can match my 130 mpg average.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Volt is amazing and was ahead of its time.

The closest car to the Volt that I know of is the BMW 330e. 22 miles on EV only and then the gas engine takes over like the Volt. We went shopping for one, but they are very scarce, only 40 in the whole country.
What about the Honda Clarity? Close, but IMO not as good as the Volt and no longer made, but available used.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Volt works for me. I haven't taken any road trips because of COVID. In-laws had a family get together in Calgary, first one in two years, out side in gazebo (no masks). What could go wrong? Out of 18 people, 16 came away with COVID, including one that was fighting cancer with chemo, twice in the hospital but looks ;like he is going to make it through COVID. No road trips for foreseeable future. I live in the country, go past a couple of dairy farms and an egg farm and I only use about half a battery per trip into town and back. Only use engine when I leave the valley (about once a month at most) so the Gen I Volt works great for me.
Damn that's scary, was this recently? Glad everyone made it okay. I've been cautiously venturing out with my Mom to small family gatherings held outside just in the last few weeks (she's immuno compromised, so we're trying to be extra careful.)

Love my Volt, but most of the time I feel I'm just lugging around the gas engine as added baggage. For me, the Volt was always a bridge technology until EV tech caught up in terms of battery capacity, charging speed, drivetrain efficiency, and charging infrastructure. And being that it's a second vehicle, I think I should be able to transition to full BEV on the next go around.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just went the refurbished route on my 2012. Used/new prices too high. Most importantly, I have a chronic illness and the Volt is comfortable to me. I tried a Kia “hybrid” and within 10 minutes my pain had spiked. So far the refurbished is getting 36-38 commute miles in Tucson (using AC). That’s two days of commuting for me on one charge. Greentec says the cells average 20k collectively. They estimate it should last around another 80k, which I hope gets me to more EV choices at prices well under $50k!
I also have severe chronic pain in my neck and back. I could not believe my Volt made so much improvement. You have provided me confirmation I needed. I’m going for a long ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
BMW i3? Weak engine and 2.4 gallon tank good luck on a 1,000 mile road trip or hell, even a 300 Mile trip.

RAV4 Prime? SUV, good battery, good ground clearance and .. oh yeah, they basically don't exist and cost $50,000; no thanks!

Tesla, Mach E, Hyundai Kona, Ioniq, whatever else you find.. about 280 miles of effective EV range, 30 minutes to an %80 charge, yeah.. your 12 hour 1,000 mile road trip just got 2+ hours longer.. Which will do if you have to but that really isn't ideal. oh yeah, and these "long range" models still cost like $45,000.

Bolt, leaf, VW ID 4, [insert whatever here], 200 miles effective range>see above ^^^

Fusion hybrid, Malibu hybrid, Prius etc... well you get 50 MPG roughly, that's.. cool. ish.. OR you could get one of the PHEV variants get a whopping 20 miles all electric plus 45 MPG.. which is.. cool.. ish..

Smart Car, older Nissan leafs, Chevy spark, Mitsubishi I, Fiat 500 e, etc.. [Laughs internally]

The Volt is the only car that can handle the upper end of the "average" work commute or all your errands around town while also having the convenience of short stops while on the road.

I'm open to suggestions but yeah.. there's nothing practical out there to drive around town for dirt cheap AND bypass the long charging times for longer trips. At this point, when the Volt dies or perhaps at the end of its warranty, I'll shell out for that 2019 I want or maybe just get a Bolt and rent a car for road trips. Of course renting is super expensive too so maybe not..
You forgot the Chrysler Pacifica plug-in hybrid. We just bought a 2022 model to match our 2014 and 2018 Volts. Gets 30 plus miles electric and 32 mpg. Love the car. Love the technology.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you like to tinker a little... I'd suggest a Honda G1 Insight.

Beautifully engineered. Wonderfully built. Aluminum body. Inexpensive.
70 mpg at highway speeds. Simple enough to wrench on.
You can even replace the aging battery pack with new chemistries.

Plus, a huge and very helpful enthusiast community.
Honda Insight Forum (insightcentral.net)

But... 20 years old. No back seat. Small car.
Drives great, though. Tons of fun. One of the best cars I ever owned.

I always took mine to the local (very good) dealer. Never had a lick of trouble with it.
Sometimes, I wish I still had mine!
I would like to see a Honda Insight, but Honda isn't selling them in the NorthEast.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would go back to a Honda or Toyota used gas car if the Volt got to the point it was no longer economically practical to continue driving. I did not buy it for the other eco word...a friend who helped develop it sold me on the technology which is truly remarkable. I would not buy a pure electric vehicle at this time.
I bought the 14 during the last administration when we were close to being energy independent and the oil price (needed for so many products) was cheap. The cars were not selling well and I was able to get a doctor owned cream puff that was not abused and had had regular service at low ball offer. I now find I could sell it for more than I paid for it 3 years ago...go figure. Of course all cars have gone up so it would still cost me to change cars. The problem is there is no other car that interests me...I'm spoiled with the Volt as it has saved me a lot of money on energy, has required very little service and is a joy to drive. I still do semi-retire tech service and the hatchback is handy for test equipment.
The only real service other than regular maintenance has been replacing both front wheel bearings. I changed the right side at around 105K and just did the left yesterday at 112k. I commend GM for their hub design as the work was with simple hand tools in the driveway taking about 2 hours. The brake pads look like they would last another 100k so there is very little wear with regenerative braking. Every so often on back roads I slam on the brakes going forward and backing up just to give the calipers a workout and rub the glaze off the pads.
Scotty may be a wild man and a little loose on his facts some times but I agree with him that GM should not have pulled the plug on the Volt.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Correct.
Unfortunately.

Extended Range (hybrid) Electric Vehicles are a bitch to design and build. In the end, the Volt just cost too much to manufacture, especially compared to standard EV’s which cost less than to build than ICE models. And getting cheaper as demand grows.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts