GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. First post here. While under my 2014 Volt today doing a routine oil change and I noticed the oil pan was wet with a film of oil. It wasn't bad enough to drip but is still concerning to me as the car has only 65k miles on it. It seems to originate between the oil pan and drive unit. And, as luck would have it my power train warranty ended December of last year. I had an online chat with GM customer service about the possibility of GM eating this one and replace what needs replacing under warranty. I'm awaiting an answer atm. So, have any of you experienced an oil leak with this low of mileage? I searched forums and it seems to be more common with Gen 2's.

This is really frustrating since the car is low mileage, and the wife and I are saving up for a down payment on a Tesla. Heck my 13 equinox has 90k miles with a perfectly dry undercarriage. But other than that the car is fantastic......

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
If it’s between the oil pan and drive unit, rear main seal. If it’s just a seep, leave it alone and keep an eye on the oil level. A swap isn’t a leak.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey all. First post here. While under my 2014 Volt today doing a routine oil change and I noticed the oil pan was wet with a film of oil. It wasn't bad enough to drip but is still concerning to me as the car has only 65k miles on it. It seems to originate between the oil pan and drive unit. And, as luck would have it my power train warranty ended December of last year. I had an online chat with GM customer service about the possibility of GM eating this one and replace what needs replacing under warranty. I'm awaiting an answer atm. So, have any of you experienced an oil leak with this low of mileage? I searched forums and it seems to be more common with Gen 2's.

This is really frustrating since the car is low mileage, and the wife and I are saving up for a down payment on a Tesla. Heck my 13 equinox has 90k miles with a perfectly dry undercarriage. But other than that the car is fantastic......
My 2014 with 124k was starting to actually drip on the garage floor and it looked the same way like it was coming from the trans/engine mating..., but after I cleaned it up and ran it a bit I looked again and it was coming from the oil pan bolts closest to the transmission. Upon checking, all the oil pan bolts were loose, like finger loose no real tools needed. I removed them and put some loctite 620 sealer/locker on them and re-tightened to spec of 30ft-lbs.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
825 Posts
The pan gasket was leaking on my ELR when I bought it so the dealer replaced it. I didn't actually know this, I found out later. Also, it's not a gasket, just a bead of sealer. So yes, it is not unheard of.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts